VOI attendance

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know how many cars are at VOI? I heard less than 600.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't know, I heard 600+ Vipers and 1000+ attendees, seems about right. It sure looked like a full house. It was a fantastic event, a slight bit warm, much cooler than in past Septembers.

I recall someone saying that Skip Barber group was not going to allow us on the Nascar Banks, well we got both banks one and two, I ran 130, with past Nascar Driver Jerry Nadeau as instructor, would have went faster, but he kept yelling "Slow Down" :) , it was a BLAST.

One of our regions members went for a ride with Tommy Archer in a Comp Coupe, she said he ran 160 around the banks and 110 at points of the infield course, another of our regoins members won one of the VOI signed hoods (this year they gave two of the three hoods away as gifts).

Too much fun.

Mark M. Rankin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard 1,400 or so signed up, 1,250+ showed up and 150 or so were home waiting for the next hurricane.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear they were able to get 600+, however if it was in Vegas it would have been closer to double that number.

They had more than that at Vegas back in 1999 with half as many viper owners to draw from.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A great reason to have the next one in Vegas again.

N CHARG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what is the draw in Vegas? Travel to that town often, and just don't get it? It won't be close for East Coast, nor the some of the very active regions...

Just wondering?

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vegas is a hell of a lot more fun than any other city that has hosted the VOI!

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WESTERN STATES TURN! - GO VEGAS!!!

More than 5 of 8 of them have been closer to the Eastern States.

Detroit
ST. Louis
Orlando, Florida
Indy
Nashville

Vegas
Monterey
Dallas

Time to bring it back to the left side of the US!

Ron Hickey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The figure quoted at the Presidents meeting was 600 Vipers and 1200 people for VOI-8. I recall that it was 850 Vipers and 1500 people for VOI-7.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WESTERN STATES TURN! - GO VEGAS!!!

More than 5 of 8 of them have been closer to the Eastern States.

Detroit
ST. Louis
Orlando, Florida
Indy
Nashville

Vegas
Monterey
Dallas

Time to bring it back to the left side of the US!

Jerry, I hope I'm reading that wrong. Dallas is NOT a western state. Dallas is closer to Miami and New York then it is to Seattle or Portland. The list is.....

Detroit
ST. Louis
Orlando
Indy
Nashville
Dallas

Vegas
Monterey

The West is WAYYYYYYYYYYYY over due and the attendance at VOI8 is showing the saturation of the eastern and mid areas. Bring it to the west (Vegas) and we will back it up with some HUGE attendance numbers.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove 1400 miles West to Dallas but I was still on the East Coast? :confused:

Turn around and drive half way back and we still wouldn't have been there yet! Is Vegas closer for you? And don't think I live in vegas. It's an 18+ hour (2 day) drive for me to get to Vegas.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Texas is west to a vast number of owners. Next time bring it back east, maybe Charlotte area.

Driving west does not make it a west coast location. We have to drive east to get to Dallas, does that make it east coast?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget east and west by the map. Where is the middle based on ownership? I would guess the centroid of the ownership group is east of the Mississippi, somewhere near St. Louis.

Also not sure you can count VOI I as it was small in comparison to any other VOI.

Okay some comparisons:

East: Furthest east was Orlando
South: Your choice Dallas, Orlando or Las Vegas
West: Monterey
North: Indianapolis

So which one of those doesn't seem like it was near the limit? The furthest north that a VOI has been held (not including VOI I) is Indy (about 2/3 the way north). Sounds like an Illinois, Wisconsin, or Minnesota destination would provide the northern side an opportunity.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I considered Dallas in the Center. It's about halfway to the right coast isn't it?

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So what is the draw in Vegas? Travel to that town often, and just don't get it? It won't be close for East Coast, nor the some of the very active regions...

Just wondering?

And California and the other West Coast regions are also very active.

I beleive the choice for locations has a number of criteria, including a venue to host 1600 people and 800 cars, a large track nearby, etc, as well as some sort of change of venue to mix it up a little, and also give others a chance to be "closer". As the past three VOI's were close to the center of the country or appreciably east of center (Ft. Worth - we were never in Dallas, btw - is pretty central, Memphis is actually quite east to those of us literally on the west coast, and St. Louis was somewhat central), I could envision it to be fair to return a little west of center.

I doubt we'd see a return to a place such as Monterey (70 miles for me) due to lack of hosting facilities - no place in Monterey for that many cars, although Laguna Seca (an awesome track) is within 20 miles.

I drove both ways to VOI8, which was 1680 miles (26 hours driving) each way. I skipped both St. Louis and Memphis due to lack of interest in the location (St. Louis, especially) and distance away.

I'd add my vote to a return to Vegas - VOI5 was a great VOI, despite the bit of rain we had.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Forget east and west by the map. Where is the middle based on ownership? I would guess the centroid of the ownership group is east of the Mississippi, somewhere near St. Louis.

Isn't St. Louis *on* the Mississippi? (Rather than being east of it, that is).

Hmmmm... Any basis for that guess? Last I checked the ownership figures, California was over-represented (even taking into account the population). Just curious...

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Outside of California look at the rest of the west. In comparison on the east side you have New York, Florida, Michigan and Illinois with large Viper populations. I remember seeing a map before with the sales amounts. At that time it was heavily biased toward the east.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now you guys see the problem DC has in organizing an event like this. You can never make all of the people happy all of the time. I would love to see it come back to Monterey, and go around Carmel and 17 mile drive and The famous golf courses or down the coast past Big Sur, and use Laguna Seca as the track, but I'm sure their is some equally beautiful countryside or track on the far east coast. So why don't we get DC to commit to the next two locations. Say the next one is West and the one after that East. Shipping your car is real easy. I have done it both times. You are only in the air one more hour or so when you are flying, so it is not that much difference. I personally would go where ever it is. Obviously we would all love to drive to it if it is within 500 miles, otherwise just ship the car. Reliable has shipped mine 4 ways now without a hitch. I say West next, then East..... Dennis Kimball

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have done it both times. You are only in the air one more hour or so when you are flying, so it is not that much difference. I personally would go where ever it is. Obviously we would all love to drive to it if it is within 500 miles, otherwise just ship the car. Reliable has shipped mine 4 ways now without a hitch. I say West next, then East..... Dennis Kimball
While I agree with your sentiments regarding the equally nice areas on both coasts, I do not agree with shipping the car. Despite the good deal DC gets for us by subsidizing a significant portion of the shipping costs, it is still over what many of us want to spend.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done it both times. You are only in the air one more hour or so when you are flying, so it is not that much difference. I personally would go where ever it is. Obviously we would all love to drive to it if it is within 500 miles, otherwise just ship the car. Reliable has shipped mine 4 ways now without a hitch. I say West next, then East..... Dennis Kimball
While I agree with your sentiments regarding the equally nice areas on both coasts, I do not agree with shipping the car. Despite the good deal DC gets for us by subsidizing a significant portion of the shipping costs, it is still over what many of us want to spend.

I had a big long ***** typed up about shipping and how the Northwest was the highest cost in the states, but I just don't want to do this any more. I'm tired of hearing myself complain. Dodge knows how I feel about the locations and if I can be of any help with the next VOI, please just let me know what I can do.

On a side note, who was the big name band for VOI this time?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a side note, who was the big name band for VOI this time?

Are you ready for this? NOBODY. Apparently they got tired of hearing people complain about the bands and so at 10:00 on Saturday night they wrapped up the speeches and told everybody, "Good night, and have a safe drive home!" No punch line, the lights were turned up and that was the end of VOI for many. Interesting twist indeed!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten