VOI9 Convoy West - Who else is driving it?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Well, since Ron made mention of not driving to Vegas this time round I thought I'd make a brutally early post about who all is taking the big plunge and driving it?

I think there are two people from my area already planning on a power trip through (2 days hard drving) and one something more leasurely (5 days.)

With proper advanced planning we can set several groups to arrive near the same time. I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah probably shipping my car down or maybe renting a nice exotic once I get there. Have not decided yet. I just think driving will take way to much of a toll on my car, body damage wise. I HATE ROCK CHIPS!

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would love to ship but just a bit expensive (at least $2000 both ways) and a bit of a hassel. Might be living in CA by then if everything goes well so maybe that will work to my benefit.

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would love to ship but just a bit expensive (at least $2000 both ways) and a bit of a hassel.

Well if I remember correctly DCX usually subsidizes Reliable for VOI so you shouldn't have to pay the usual costs. Added to that I have also never heard the words hassle and reliable used in the same sentence which should make things easier.

According to Mapquest (conservatively) it's about 2500 miles (about 39 hours) from D.C. to Vegas. The route proposed would go straight down the middle of the US. That's either:
(2) Extreme driving days - 1200+ miles and 12-24/hrs per day
(3) Severe driving days - 800+ miles and 8-16/hrs per day
(4) Hard driving days - 600+ miles and 6-12/hrs per day
(5) Moderate driving days - 500+ and 5-10/hrs per day

I figure if just a few of us can decide on a dedicated route then the rest of the country can join in at their discretion. Plus we can set up hotel arrangements well in advance and avoid headaches of sleeping on the road.

I personally like the idea of three days of hard driving...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be amazing if we could get a TON of Viper together at different points and the total cruise in to the hotel being 50 or 100 Vipers. Amazing but just not sure if I want to subject my baby to that.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would be amazing if we could get a TON of Viper together at different points and the total cruise in to the hotel being 50 or 100 Vipers. Amazing but just not sure if I want to subject my baby to that.

its a freakin car....who cares...itd replacable

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

its a freakin car....who cares...itd replacable
I second that. I am not saving it for the next guy...

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Hey Hey! I drive my car a lot (31,000 and counting) but I just do not want extreeme damage to the front end from rock chips.

By the way Dimitrios, are you going? If so, driving or trailering?

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah probably shipping my car down or maybe renting a nice exotic once I get there. Have not decided yet. I just think driving will take way to much of a toll on my car, body damage wise. I HATE ROCK CHIPS!

whats a nice exotic? its a viper event..you renting a viper for $400 a day?

OP
OP
Bonkers

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Looking at a map:
DC - St Louis - Colorado Springs - Vegas.
Three day event - 10 stops for gas - about 9+ hours of sleep time between runs. We'd have to leave DC around 8pm to make it work though. I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Same thing I told Keith - it's 2500 miles - less than an oil change on roads that get progressivly better the farther west you go. I look at it this way - if you're okay with driving these cars on New York, DC, Baltimore, Philly, or Trenton highways how could you possibly think a 100 mile stretch of open, empty, smooth road through farm country is stressful for your car? Hell, if anything, mechanically speaking it would be the most ideal conditions for your drivetrain.

Personally I plan on driving out and flying back only because I can't get the time off of work.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is an option as well but I will have school then so I can not miss that much. Once again I am not sure where I will be for school next year so alot is still up in the air.

D, as for renting down there. Who knows. Lets see what the transport cost are and then we will determine. If I could get a car for a few days for less than what it cost to send the car down then that is a better idea.

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might be living in CA by then if everything goes well so maybe that will work to my benefit.

[/QUOTE]

Wecome to Cali it X mas eve and its 75+ degress right now.. :2tu: :D

Where would you be moving to in California?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All of you east coast guys should come out a few days early and run the Silver State open road event in Ely, NV on September 15-17. 90 miles of closed freshly surfaced 2-lane road across Nevada's Great Basin with multiple straight sections up to 14 miles long!
Having grown up in the east, there's no comparable combination than Nevada's great roads, no speed limits, and a Viper!
Hope to see some of you there.
David

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is of interest. I would love to participate in that. What are the rules and regs? Age requirements? etc. Any help would be greatly appricated.

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am very interested in this. Hopefully the VOI dates will be announced soon so I could coordinate this. This would be more than worth wild!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be driving just like I did to VOI-5. But I don't think I'll caravan because I'll be taking the scenic route. VOI-5 was 6500 miles one way!

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be driving just like I did to VOI-5. But I don't think I'll caravan because I'll be taking the scenic route. VOI-5 was 6500 miles one way!

6500 miles??????
Yes, because I visited almost every national park in the grand circle (AZ, UT, CO , NM). I'll do it again if I get the time probably exceed 10000 miles this time.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bonkers you think the paint will be dry by then? Listen I have agood investment for ya bro.yOU GOT COINS NOW.i'M TRYING TO SELL THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE.TRUST ME ON THIS AND KEEP IT ON THE LOW.The price is a mere $100,000.You won't regret it.Drop me an email and i'll send out paper work brian

war I won a CC but now I have no CC and all I got is a crappy PP

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow. I love driving but do not think I could go that far.
6500 miles??????
Yes, because I visited almost every national park in the grand circle (AZ, UT, CO , NM). I'll do it again if I get the time probably exceed 10000 miles this time.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
spoke to chuck few days ago and said that he'll try to have reliant pick up 6 cars and put em on the same truck and deliver to vegas and return back to chucks for cost reasons instead of the truck making 6 different stops.

Dimitrios

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh by the way F355..san diego might suit you better..remember that photo of you getting it in the rear? san fransisco has a huge *** population. i think youll like it there best!