VOI9 Convoy West - Who else is driving it?

DavidSB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 R/T 10: Yes anyone can enter. In the past first-time drivers had to attend a 3 hour driver's school at the Derek Daly Driving Academy at the Las Vegas speedway on the Thursday or Friday before the event, or show prior attendance at some similar driving program. However, Derek Daly has recently changed hands and I don't know what, if any, first-time program they'll have for the 2006 events. Check out the Silver State web site for car/driver/safety equip. requirements - all pretty basic for classes up to 110 MPH that have a tech, or top speed, of 124 MPH. Note that driving gloves are required but last time I looked the posted rules didn't mention it.

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the Silver State in '04 and it was one of the more memorable experiences of my life. There are expenses involved, both in modifying your car and in driving apparel. I did the 130 mph class which is the fastest class allowed for rookies. It gives you a tech speed of 165 and requires the following:
Car- tires 2 years old or newer
5 or 6 point harnesses
fire extinguisher
Apparel- full face helmet
fire proof suit, gloves, socks
neck collar

There are other things but these are the basics. I plan to enter next fall but would like to tech higher than 165. That will require full roll cage and fuel cell among other things. The 1 mile shoot out the day before is also a blast although high winds (47mph cross) held us down to 1/2 mile runs. It would be great to have a bunch of Vipers there and do a team thing. I think 3 of us from WA are planning to particpate.

Bob K

P.S. Although we had to deal with 35mph winds on the day of the Classic my GTS with the splitter and wing sucked right down to the road and I didn't even notice it. It was fun passing a Z06 at 160+ on a 2 lane road!

06red/whitecoupe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i ran the silver state twice, in 1998 and 1999 and i plan to run again this year since it is 1 week before voi. i ran the 145 class both years in a 1997 red gts and it is a lot of fun. I was able to get a waiver the first year for the 145 class because at the time i had a SCCA competition license. If for example you run some viper day events you could get a waiver most likely if you want one. We were fortunate to get second place in '98 in the 145 class , went back the next year to try for first but a pantera took first our class. We used a garmen gps both years and i was amazed how close the cars come in at the end to to their dial in average speed. Entry fee is about 600 bucks and you can use a navigator if you so choose. The race itself is over quickly [90 miles at 145 mph = about 35 minutes.] It is a great social event where you can meet many people with a greast variety of cars. First timers have to go out to the speedway on thursday in las vegas for a little instruction and a few laps.. real low key. I am in the mn club and i hope to talk a few of my fello members to do this. i run 1 or 2 viper day events per year and those events require a lot more preperation and expense than this. Everyone gathers on friday near the speedway for the 300 mile run up to ely and i can tell you that was more fun than the race on sunday. This event on sunday is just a high speed cuise, no need to use any brake. Both years i was there they had a speed trap about 40 miles in and they would clock your speed for a certificate you can put on the wall. mine reads "163mph"

Bob K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My certificate reads "165mph" which was exactly my tech speed. I knew my speedometer was a little off so I tried to run through the trap at about 162. I guess I figured it correctly. There are several radar traps along the course besides the known one. If they catch you exceeding your tech speed you are DQ'ed and banned from the event for 5 years. They also threaten to turn you in to the highway patrol for speeding (170 in a 70 zone could hurt). I'm not sure that they ever turn anyone in. The course itself is easy and I never felt in danger at any time. You just have to be sure your car is sound and that no animals run across the road in your path (which is unlikely).

Bob K