VOI9 - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Good:
- The location - Vegas!
- NV VCA hosting pre- and post- VOI9 events
- Dodge providing plenty of vehicles for the track and SRT-10 Quad Cabs for the Road Rally
- The "goody bag" itself and the poker chips set and USB drive within
- Seeing a lot of people, e.g., Matt from NV, Cody from the northwest, Sonny from Toronto, Marcus from Germany, and many many others
- Going down a drag strip for my first time ever and getting a better time than Jay Herbert in the same car ;)

The Bad:
- The poster and clock from the "goody bag" were nice, but a real PITA to transport home for those who flew in
- Road Rally directions (e.g., listing road numbers, but the signs don't list them, so they end up being a distraction)

The Ugly:
- NOTHING on the future of the Viper, not even general statements or mention of the 07 year not happening, even though Herb Helbig himself said (in the 2nd Viper Legacy talk) there would be information provided before the event was over
- Smashing the Corvette metaphor by magic, because that's all it was - flash and no substance - without information on how the Viper would indeed smash the Corvette in reality
- NO mention of VOI10
- The various accidents (3 of I recall offhand)

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for summing that up fairly. There are some people here who claimed VOI was a complete disaster, while others towed the "corporate" line of "this was the best thing ever!"

Like most things, it was somewhere in the middle, and as the old saying goes, you can't make everybody happy. :)

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
How 'bout The Funny as well.

For those in group B - are you still laughing about the neon that tried to slip into the Viper picture and was called out to move it out and be replaced by the comp coupe?

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for summing that up fairly. There are some people here who claimed VOI was a complete disaster, while others towed the "corporate" line of "this was the best thing ever!"

Like most things, it was somewhere in the middle, and as the old saying goes, you can't make everybody happy. :)

Exactly, as with most things, there are good and bad. Some people have to rain on every parade and others have to **** at the corporate teet, but I'd rather just enjoy the event.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Add one more to the "Ugly". It sure would have been easier on our cars and easier on some of us old farts if VOI 9 had been held a month or so later in cooler weather.

You've got to wonder if the planners of this event bothered to check the average day time temps for the time of year that they planned to hold an event like this before they scheduled it. The thermometer in my truck read 99 degrees on Thursday at the track at 4:00 in the afternoon! Dry heat my ***.

Reaction score
Add one more to the "Ugly". It sure would have been easier on our cars and easier on some of us old farts if VOI 9 had been held a month or so later in cooler weather.

You've got to wonder if the planners of this event bothered to check the average day time temps for the time of year that they planned to hold an event like this before they scheduled it. The thermometer in my truck read 99 degrees on Thursday at the track at 4:00 in the afternoon! Dry heat my ***.

They are already trying to deal with the time being too early. :( Tough call....depends on location for the temps. MANY people have upper-teens who they want to SHARE the experience with (NOT talking "kids"...my son is almost 18 and has worked his own job for several years....so he is, in my opinion, an OK choice to include)....but sadly it means missing school.

Oh well....I'll always choose my family over the car (or anything to do with it). but, that is just me. :)

LittleFish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the neon in Group B was funny. Everyone was happy when they kicked it to the weeds.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That wasn't ugly at all, the temperatures were fine. Especially compared with ViperDays in July.

Reaction score
Our monthly club meeting was tonight. Most of the attendees approx 48 people attended VOI9.

100% of the comments were very positive. One member commented to the group that he thought DC should be congratulated for providing an outstanding Invitational! And that the event was well worth the money spent. The room responded with an round of applause for DC.

Sorry to disappoint the half empty glass crowd but from Northern California VOI was a Outstanding experience and DC's support of Viper owners appreciated.

Not all owners from Northern California were at the meeting so there may be some less active member who have a different point of view but this group loved the event.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our monthly club meeting was tonight. Most of the attendees approx 48 people attended VOI9.

100% of the comments were very positive. One member commented to the group that he thought DC should be congratulated for providing an outstanding Invitational! And that the event was well worth the money spent. The room responded with an round of applause for DC.

Sorry to disappoint the half empty glass crowd but from Northern California VOI was a Outstanding experience and DC's support of Viper owners appreciated.

Not all owners from Northern California were at the meeting so there may be some less active member who have a different point of view but this group loved the event.

But I'm sure 100% of them would have preferred information on the future of Viper and VOI10.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew down from Anchorage and thought VOI was great!! Reading these post I can see you guys are spoiled. Man, we have 1 drag strip 50 miles away, a small Legend car track. Too hot down there though. It needs to be in the winter, LOL. You guys are SO lucky to be so near so many great car shows and events. I've attende many GoodGuy events and VOI was far better with lots more to do.I do have t admi GGuys doesn't cost as much. Still I think the $$ was worth it and I don't like Vegas by itself. :2tu: VOI hope there are others!!!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And 100% of them drove less than a day to get there. :)
Actually, we drove about 8 to 9 hours. Then again, I drove three days each way to get to VOI8 (10 days off for a four-day vacation), and even if still lived in Texas, I prefer Vegas over central Texas any day (having lived in Texas, I like Texas, but I don't choose Grapevine/Fort Worth for a vacation/getaway/etc). Vegas was definitely worth doing a second time, and I have no criticism for the timing - it was in the 70's the week before and the week after VOI, and I would wager that the weather was not part of the decision in any event. If someone is going to criticize the weather, I'd say they didn't go to any other VOI (all of which had arguably less-hospitable weather).

Reaction score
I drive 8-9 hours to Tators......so, likening VOI to that....sure...I'd be there in a heartbeat!

So....I'll be 100% satisfied when I can drive 8-9 hours to VOI. :)

About the timing....yeah, I imagine it was good and bad as far as the weather....but if they could:

1) Make VOI 8-9 hours away from ME (and that is NOT Maine), and,

2) Eek out a few more weekes so some of us with older kids (kids with a license) could make it without missing school.

THEN....all would be right in the world. :)

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and even if still lived in Texas, I prefer Vegas over central Texas any day (having lived in Texas, I like Texas, but I don't choose Grapevine/Fort Worth for a vacation/getaway/etc).

Grapevine/Ft. Worth are NOT Central Texas. :nono: They are in North Texas.

KWIK96

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I flew in and it took me two days to get there.
I live in Perth, Western Australia and there are 3 Vipers in this city of 1.5 Million. There are about 42 in the whole country.
I thought VOI9 was the unbelievable.
I was up at 5am everyday, down at the garage polishing the car, taking pictures, and meeting people. I did all the events, and met some terrific people form all regions.
It was the only time I ever had trouble finding my car in a carpark.
My wife said I had a permanent grin for the entire week.
The hotel was good, the food was good, and the events were well organized.
The Skip Barber guys were FIRST class.

Bottom line is it cost me a small fortune to attend, but it was more than worth every penny!

Thanks to all involved :2tu:

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KWIK96 - you and the Switzerland guys and everyone else who came such amazing distances RULE! I'm glad you had a great time at VOI.9.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
and even if still lived in Texas, I prefer Vegas over central Texas any day (having lived in Texas, I like Texas, but I don't choose Grapevine/Fort Worth for a vacation/getaway/etc).
Grapevine/Ft. Worth are NOT Central Texas. :nono: They are in North Texas.
Like it matters. I lived in Austin (and rode through New Braunfels many times), and drove through the Ft. Worth area monthly, and, while the Austin area has my vote for one of the best places to live in the midwest, I wouldn't pick it for a vacation, either, whetner it be central/north/or whatever.

invincible569

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like it matters. I lived in Austin (and rode through New Braunfels many times), and drove through the Ft. Worth area monthly, and, while the Austin area has my vote for one of the best places to live in the midwest, I wouldn't pick it for a vacation, either, whetner it be central/north/or whatever.

Austin is expensive to live also. I guess you get what you pay for. ;)

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew in From CT. I thought It was a good event and well run. Goodie bags were great. I had to buy another suitcase to get it all home. Like anything you can find fault. If I had to complain it was how bad most Viper owners Drive. I think more then half these guys buy it and store it. It was amazing on the SRT track watching one guy drive around on his own. They had to shut the track down to go get him off. He said he didn't know he was supposed to follow one of the SRT8 Jeeps. I'll go to the next one. Just hope it's closer to the East Coast. I heard Disney world in Orlando next. But who knows.

vegas guy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It must have been the same guy on the Go-Kart track. They had to throw the flag at him to make him stop. He was like the energizer bunnny, he kept going and going and going................all by himself.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I flew in From CT. I thought It was a good event and well run. Goodie bags were great. I had to buy another suitcase to get it all home. Like anything you can find fault. If I had to complain it was how bad most Viper owners Drive. I think more then half these guys buy it and store it. It was amazing on the SRT track watching one guy drive around on his own. They had to shut the track down to go get him off. He said he didn't know he was supposed to follow one of the SRT8 Jeeps. I'll go to the next one. Just hope it's closer to the East Coast. I heard Disney world in Orlando next. But who knows.
I highly doubt that there will be another VOI, but IF there is, Atlanta was the second choice DC was considering for VOI 9.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought it came down to Vegas and Orlando, not Atlanta.
About 10 months ago or so one of the vca presidents placed a thread that said get ready for voi 9 as DC is deciding between Vegas or Atlanta. A lot of replies came after that of course. Does Orlando even have a sizeable track? (Not including the hour drive to Daytona.)

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Either Orlando or Atlanta work for me. I don't think the Socal
guys would appreciate the travel though.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was indeed one of the best VOI's. Great location & facilities. The Venetial was a fantastic choice. Much easier to get around in than the MGM Grand.

Weather was not bad. Not too cold for the morning pictures, and not too windy.

The choice of cruises for those wanting a short cruise or a longer one was something new, and a good idea. The box lunches were better than was expected. Sandwich, cookies, M&M's water or soda. Including a cooler with built in freezer gell was also pretty cool.

Scuttlebutt around the event is that the decision about having a VOI.10 has not yet been made.

Suggestions have been made to have it in Detroit. MIS would be available, maybe open up the factory to tours, great backroads for cruising. Since VOI.10 would celebrate the essential V-10, it could be a natural. Much less expensive for Detroit based VIP's to attend. Dodge could have a bunch of their VIP's score attendance as a perk for exelemplary preformance. Heck...the entire Team Viper could turn out to see the cars they build on a racetrack, driven by their customers.

Fantastic opportunity for DODGE to parlay the VOI Experience.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21