W.T.B. Viper GTS: '96-'97 B&W OR '00 Steel Grey/Silver Stripes

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Like the title says...I just sold my '08 SSG to get back into my favorite Viper, the Gen 2 GTS. The only colors I'm interested in are the following...

1. 1996-1997 Viper GTS Blue w/ white stripes

2. 2000 Viper GTS Steel Gray w/ silver stripes

I've looked high and low in the classifieds and searched the forums. I've been through autotrader.com, cars.com, Ebay, Hemmings, etc... more times than I care to admit.

I've had a few deals in the past few weeks that just haven't panned out. I'm hoping to find someone here who has one tucked away in a garage OR who has been on the fence about selling OR somebody who might know a dealer that has one for sale.

PM me if you've got what I need! I know some of you responded to me in a previous post. Send me a PM if your cars are still for sale too.

Thanks!

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have also been looking. I can totally see where your coming from with the 08. Wife and I went to Chicago to look at a few 08's and we just couldn't do. I can't justify the money for a car I really don't love.

I assume your looking for a low mile car? I have a few leads on some blue/whites but most have higher miles. I almost pulled the trigger on a 97 B&W with 102K MILES for $25K but someone beat me to it! Oh well im trying to get into one by fall.

-Tim

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, the Gen 4 was an awesome car...but it was never "my" dream car. I know that probably doesn't make sense to most, but it makes sense to me. :) Honestly, it was more of an impulse buy than anything. That SSG paint must have somehow went straight to my brain! I had a '97 GTS prior to that, but it was red. Nothing wrong with red, but I should have held out for the color that I really wanted. These Vipers really have a way of clouding all of your conscious decision-making skills!

But yes, I would like a relatively low mileage car. 10-20K miles would be ideal for me.

Good luck with your search too, Tim.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you will have a lot better luck finding the 96'-97' b/w gts way before you will with the 00' steel gray gts! Those 2 colors were always my favorites also (but I preferred the ******* rt/10) since I'm in La. I don't have to put the top on very often. I ONLY looked at Gen II's, but since I've been on here a year & a half I've come to like the Gen III's & IV's a lot better. I Also said if I do get another one it would probably be the 08' b/w coupe but I may be like you & just don't know if I could pull the trigger (even though they're faster, better interior, etc...etc...) but that body is just not the same. Good Luck!

Tagoo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love the color of my Steel Gray / Silver - it's not for sale though... sorry. It took me a couple of years to find that combo. Only 377 steel gray GTS cars were produced (includes ACRs). Based on my totally unscientific personal observations it seems like less than half of those had the silver stripes. It may take a while to find one, but I think you will love it if you find that combo. If this is the combo you want, you might consider expanding your search to a steel gray GTS without stripes and then add them yourself (paint of vinyl).

I think B/W is a really attractive color too (even better in person than in pictures). You are much more likely to find a B/W as there were over 2000 made between '96 and '97.

Best of luck in your search!

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt M, PA: Your steel gray isn't for sale, is it??? ;-)

mattdillon: Just by the numbers alone, I am sure that you are right that I will have better luck finding the B&W GTS over the steel gray. But so far, I'm not having much luck finding a nice version of either... :-(

I'd sure like to pull the trigger on one in the next month or two...

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tagoo: If you ever change your mind please let me know!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, sorry, my 2000 isn't for sale.

For the record, I think there were something like 127 steel gray with factory stripes and black interior.

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I like red ! Specifically Red with white stripes '97 ! :D

Hope you guys find what you are looking for. :2tu:

kilo17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has been a 2000 steel grey with stripes that has about 5500 miles listed on cars.com for a several weeks.... I have seen it many times as I have been looking for a Yellow GTS for several weeks and that Steel Grey has caught my attention many times..... good luck...

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Matt M: Let me know if you ever change your mind. :)

kilo17: I don't see that one on cars.com. Maybe it was sold.

The search continues...

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too have bounced "back" to a Gen 2 (a couple of times actually). I recently bought a 2 owner 8,000 mile totally stock '96. Although I reeeeally prefer the look and feel of the '96, I miss the extra grunt of my '08 SSG. With so few clean '96's still in totally stock condition I am reluctant to mod it in any way, and now I kind of wish I bought a highly modified Gen 2 instead. :idea:

I had made a strong offer on a 700hp '97, but the owner wouldn't budge, so here I am.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yeah, I am determined to wait for the right one this time around.

Although...as the weather is getting nicer here in St. Louis, I am getting a little impatient and anxious to get another Viper! :)

Hopefully very soon...

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I did see that one, but if I am thinking of the same one that you are I wasn't really digging the wing that was on it. Plus, it looked like there were some tears in the seat upholstery, etc...

I'm not looking for perfection, but I don't really want any major body mofications or damage to the interior that would require replacing parts.

Thanks for the tip though.

Barry

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here's a very low mileage steel gray car, but the owner says that the stripes AND the wing are factory installed options. The stripes sure, but the wing??? What's the 411 on the wing on this car?

Moderator Edit: No links.

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the graphite/silver is one of the awesomest colors, unfortunately it looks like none with the Cognac were made. I just find that the Cognac looks so sweet. It's much harder to find a full cognac interior for a viper than some adhesive silver vinyl.

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm inclined to agree with the graphite/silver comment. As for the cognac...I'm not a big fan, so I am looking for a black interior.

To each their own though....if we all had to have the same color cars it would be pretty boring. :)

Viper98912

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just find brown leather to be so intriguing. I have a C55 with a full black interior, and it sure is sweet, but I just don't know if I want another car with a full black interior, regardless that it does look nice in the viper. Also why I don't want a black exterior either...

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks. That's a new listing here, but I think I've seen that car on another used Viper site. I don't remember the decal package though...

OP
OP
B

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, so as my search continues I am seriously considering an '02 GTS in Graphite with silver stripes. I know it isn't one of the two color options that I listed initially, but it is a 1 of 60 car (from what I'm told) and gives me a very similar look to the '00 Steel gray.

It is a < 6K mile car with only a few issues to speak of. Most notably are a scratch on the nose (but I've got family members who work in body shops) and what I would consider some rather significant wear in the door jam weatherstripping. I've not seen the weatherstrip tear like this before. Any ideas what it would take pricewise to fix this issue properly?

Please take a look at the pictures and give me your in-depth critique if you see other issues!

http://s1003.photobucket.com/albums/af158/bdelass/2002 Dodge Viper GTS/

Thanks for your help, gang! I really appreciate it.

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bdelass....had to see...but I wonder if the door hinges need an adjustment that the weatherstripping is shot on both sides in the same place? You're right, the scratch on the fascia would both me, too. But it's also scraped underneath too and along the very edge. (I made up a molding for mine to protect that edge) If you need to paint the entire fascia, including stripes...you'd want to think about that cost before making a deal?

I have a friend with a graphite ACR that he keep threatening to sell. The graphite is considerably different than steel gray.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang