want to buy 2003-2005

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2005.

The 2003 was first model year and had some minor issues.

The 2004 also had some minor issues.

I have not read of any problems with 2005 model year to my knowledge other than a reflash of the ECU needed for certain problems above 5000RPM. This is not mechanical.

I'd go for the latest model year you can find and afford that has been cared for and has a full history.

Tim

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MY advice would be to go for the earlier model year due to the longer warranty... i had an 03 and it was rock solid ....

03 and 04 came with factory 7/70 powertrain warranty
04's possible cam bolt torque problem is built prior to 01/31/04
04's had a different oil pressure and temp gauge
05's had a different factory head unit
05's and up have a slightly diff. valve cover. vent tubes at the front
04's and up came with trunk mat
03's and 04's factory oil fill is 10w-30 while 05's and up 0w-40
no special editions made in 03
2003 have different connecting rod then 04's. they are forged in the 03's and PM in 04. Crank balance is also different
05's have different PCM
crank trigger location moved from the flywheel in 03/04 to side of block in 95.
05's up changed the damper bolt to 3/4" vs the smaller 13mm in 03's and up.
Main bearings changed in 05 to 180 degree mains from 120 in order to address oil starvation issues at rods. this is the reason for the lower oil pressure at idle for the 05 cars
A few 03's & 04's up have red calipers
timing cover changed in 05 to incorporate a wire holder for the cam sensor. old covers used a bolt on clip.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...689-i-want-buy-srt-i-have-some-questions.html

Last edited:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great reply.

I had no idea that the 2005's didn't carry the 7/70 powertrain warranty.

:(

V

Venomiss

Yellows always stands out in a crowd......from after our 2005 zone rendevous
You must be registered for see images

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can only speak from experience...our 2005 has been ROCK-SOLID!!! NO probs with it...EXcellent investment we ever made...and the most fun! Good Luck in your search! Let us know. ~juli

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Buy a Commemorative Edition '05. There will be only have 99 other cars like yours in existence. There are a couple listed in the classifieds.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They have a reputation for buying thrashed auction cars, and even thrashing the new ones they sell. They have a "private drag strip" that they take the cars to for test drives. I refused to buy a blue '06 from them after I learned of their shenanigans. It had around 80 most likely very hard driven miles:omg:

Buyer beware.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I buy my Viper Violet with silver stripe coupe, that will become the best color to own:D

Sorry, you have already stated for the record a 05 Copperhead is best. I hereby second that, passing the motion and its now set in stone. Your 08 or 09, will always be second best.:rolaugh:

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They have a reputation for buying thrashed auction cars, and even thrashing the new ones they sell. They have a "private drag strip" that they take the cars to for test drives. I refused to buy a blue '06 from them after I learned of their shenanigans. It had around 80 most likely very hard driven miles:omg:

Buyer beware.

Do you have proof of this?

I just bought the red 2005 that they still list for sale on their site about two weeks ago.

The car is absolutely flawless and looks like it was cared for. The Michelin tires were in fine condition, and were not just put on the car.

My 2005 is most DEFINITELY not a thrashed auction car and I had it completely looked over by a dodge dealer post sale when I needed to get my blower motor replaced under warranty.

There isn't a scratch on the car I bought.

The first thing I did when I brought it home is put it up on ramps in my garage, get under the car and do an oil change with new Mobil 1 0w-40 and Purolator filter. No problems there and the underside is just as flawless as the rest of the car.

If you have more details feel free to PM me just out of curiosity sake on my own part.

I am NOT affiliated with this dealership in anyway other than buying my car from them. The battery on my car was completely dead when I went to test drive it the first time I looked at it so I highly doubt anyone on that lot was beating up on my car, considering the condition of the brake linings, tires and rest of the car. No rubber on the rear quarter panels or wheel wells from burnouts either.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

P.S. Compare this to the 2004 SRT-10 I looked at previously that was for sale in City of Industry, Superior Dodge.

Paint was rough, the dipstick was LAYING on the engine when I inspected it and there was OIL all over the underside of the hood. Carfaxed that car when I got home and that car was in a MAJOR wreck in NJ. Hit a guardrail, another car and the median. That car was a basketcase and I RAN from it. Superior NEVER disclosed to me during the time I looked at it that the car was in an accident. I am assuming that they carfaxed it when it was inbound, but one would also assume their technician would have made sure the dipstick was placed back into the oil tube too! They wanted $49,999 for that car and I talked them down to $48 just for the heck of it and bailed because the car was rough and I had no problem paying more money for a newer, better condition Viper which I ended up with.

Best part about that night was the salesman was named Chekezie (just like the guy singing on this year's American Idol) LOL

Last edited:

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I confused the HB Dodge with the HB Ford- so the private drag strip does not apply.

As to the condition of the Ford dealer cars, I'm sure they get some clean auction cars every so often, but I have been told by some other local dealers(who weren't trying to sell me anything) that they have a reputation for buying just about anything.

With sooo many Vipers for sale on a consistant basis, it is quite clear that they are not all trade-ins. Unless of course dozens of Viper owners are making the switch over to Mustangs:lmao:

That definitely spells auction cars.

Glad yours is clean though, and welcome to the Viper club!

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome and the reply of clarification.

Most would have left it at that, so I respect and appreciate you coming back to reply about the Ford dealership.

Tim

SM1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I confused the HB Dodge with the HB Ford- so the private drag strip does not apply.

As to the condition of the Ford dealer cars, I'm sure they get some clean auction cars every so often, but I have been told by some other local dealers(who weren't trying to sell me anything) that they have a reputation for buying just about anything.

With sooo many Vipers for sale on a consistant basis, it is quite clear that they are not all trade-ins. Unless of course dozens of Viper owners are making the switch over to Mustangs:lmao:

That definitely spells auction cars.

Glad yours is clean though, and welcome to the Viper
club!

i think he does have a point here though, ive been doing some research myself in the viper market lately, and HB Ford is selling a black viper for i believe 45k that had a very bad carfax history and seemed pretty abused. I believe they do have a reputation for buying a lot of auction cars, but we're glad that your turned out just fine. :)

Kroger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That copperhead is listed pretty cheap compared to the ones i have seen around on the marketplace... Thats either good news for me or the car has problems.

I have been pondering the decision to sell the 96 B/W and either pick up a 05 Copperhead or search for a 06 Coupe all blue.