Wanted: Front end rebuild pics for RT/10

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Picture this: A 2000 Steel Grey RT/10 involved with front end damage. Basically everything has been removed from the firewall forward with the exception of the engine and wiring. This means complete suspension, rack, wheel wells, sway bar, cross brace...all removed. Now it is time to re-assemble. Does anyone out there have some detailed photos of a project car they have done that can show correct placement of "everything"? It certainly doesn't have to be a 2000 RT/10 either (Right now I am trying to figure out the correct routing of the AC lines.) Too bad Vipers are not a dime a dozen or I could just look off of someone elses. I have the 2000 Crash Manual but it does a pretty lousy job of detailing. How good is the factory service manual? Anyone know where to get the pop rivets used to hold the wheel wells to the frame other than the dealer a $2.50 a piece? Any help, insight, thoughts, or critism welcomed.

CW

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First - buy a Viper Service Manual.

Second - you can find nearly any type of automotive fastener at a NAPA store. I've replaced the rivets you speak of with reuseable nylon push pins. Super easy to clean the engine compartment after a weekend or two at the track.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll second that.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTS Dean:
First - buy a Viper Service Manual.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check ebay for some fair prices. They usally run about $25 to $45

New they are $90. VCA members get them for $60 (I think).

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the fasica rivited on?

I am thinking about a big project for the end of this year/begining of next year. A coupe re-body w/ carbon parts for track use. Starting to collect little tidbits like this to aid in the reassembly
smile.gif

MadMaxx

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MadMaxx-Front Fascia is not riveted on. The skin is held in with the "Christmas trees". The front end is actually held on with bolts through the fiberglass bumper.

All right Chickenwarrior, I know what you are looking for.

What speed do you have to the Internet? If you are on dial up....FORGET IT. It would take you until Sept 30th of non-stop downloads to get all the pictures. How big is your allowable mail box size? I have MANY pictures of the entire front end.

If you are worried about $2.50 for the rivets....hmm, you may be in for a big surprise on the cost of parts.

The front fascia is $10,400 and the hood is $14,100. Both unpainted. The average front end damage on a Viper is about $28,000.

I am not sure that the push in fasteners will be strong enough. There is a lot of movement of that fender shroud. I think the factory would have done that if they could have.

Do not attempt to straighten the frame. Cut it and reweld a replacement piece. You do not have to buy a complete Frame. Woodhouse should be able to help on this if you have frame damage.

The hard part is getting the pieces to line back up. Start at the doors and set the hood correct, then move forward. The headlights can be shimmed. The front fascia has shims to bring it forward and back. The frame horns that it attaches to are slotted and allow the piece to move up and down one inch.

I could type on this post all day long.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chickenwarrior:
Too bad Vipers are not a dime a dozen... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that's the first time that statement has ever been made on this board. I never realized how odd it sounded until just now....

CW have you bought this car already or are you looking into buying one? From the direction this thread is leading it sounds like you might be swiming in deeper water than you think.

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jerry,

I'd be interested in the photos, as i'm doing the same thing next year. Except i'm going carbon on the facia and hood, and possibly door skins and quarters. I've rebuilt many a car (restorations, pro-street, etc.) and have access to a 15 bay shop (complete w/ frame puller if needed)
smile.gif

I'm on cable here at home, and t3's at work. shoot me some photos sometime if you could. Do them in like 8 meg batches if possible, or it will drive the mail servers nuts.

I would hate to see someone try to rebuild a car from mopar factory parts... yick! The going rate for used parts is about 25% what they are from factory.

MadMaxx

OP
OP
chickenwarrior

chickenwarrior

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jerry (and others that inquired),

I have a T1 connection to the internet so speed is not a problem.
Yes, I already have the car, and it has been disassembled as described. As to your frame remark I have already done what was suggested after learning how very thin the frame actually is. I am very proud of how it turned out. As for Viper parts I am WELL aware of the cost after having purchased most every part to replace including the fascia. I just thought someone on the board might have a source for the rivits quick and cheap. After spending the amount of money I already have $2 rivits won't hold my project up.
Thank you for the advice on how to procede with the rebuild to get everything to line up. If you have some detailed pics that would be great. Thanks to all that responded!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats