Was driving and my Viper just Quit

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 2002 FE with a roe blower . I had just done some work to my Viper
and was my first outing this year. Changed the oil . plugs updated my Vec 2
I started my Viper up and it roared to life . Everything sounded perfect Time for a test drive. Drove over to a friends house around 15 miles away stopped and bs for 1/2 hour got back in and was driving home car was running great about a mile from my house
I was just cruising 40 miles an hour and the engine just died. I pulled into a vacant driveway and tried to start it. Engine would turn over tried to start but then no fire at all.
Getting plenty of fuel so thats not the problem. When I would turn the key and the
engine was turning over the alarm would make a blip . I reset the alarm no good.
So Viper dead on the side of my road walked home got a new battery
came back and installed new battery tried to start nothing . Seemed to be flooding
heavy gas smell . I trailered the viper home check all connections let it sit till this
morning went out tried to start again nothing. Did a search but I'm still at a loss
Any ideas much appreciated Thanks :crazy2:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did it get wet at all ?

what happened when the engine died ? did the gauges do anything weird ? or feel like it just cut out ?

OP
OP
V

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When I first fired it up I brought it up to temp and I had a hose clamp that was not doing its job
and it spayed about a quart of anti freeze in between the frame and headers. Is there any thing I should check. At the time the viper was still jacked up in the air I got under the car and wiped everything down.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if not 1 of the others mentioned, maybe the hood sensor

work on car --> show bud beautiful engine --> close hood --> somehow hood sensor not fully depressed --> drive home vibrates it up ..... :dunno:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like something electrical like everyone has said. You also have an aftermarket alarm, so we will have to look at the wiring for that as well.
I'll stop by to talk to you about it today.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are running a boost a pump with your Roe I would check the fuel pump. The BAPs are ******* the fuel pumps. :2tu:

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
if you could take the vec out of line then check to see if the injectors are getting power. If not, then money is on crank/cam sensor. The crank sensor is a more common fail.

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
if you could take the vec out of line then check to see if the injectors are getting power. If not, then money is on crank/cam sensor. The crank sensor is a more common fail.

....and by take the VEC out of line I mean to put the injection system back to stock if possible.

OP
OP
V

Viper Fever

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Right now we are looking at the alarm system. I have a after market alarm. The alarm system was installed before I bought the viper. The alarm system is a Clifford . Trying to figure out how to reset it.
Then will look at the crank sensor.Thanks for the inputs

CWhiteRun

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Right now we are looking at the alarm system. I have a after market alarm. The alarm system was installed before I bought the viper. The alarm system is a Clifford . Trying to figure out how to reset it.
Then will look at the crank sensor.Thanks for the inputs

Most aftermarket alarms have two blade style fuses that tap into the constant 12V and switched 12V lines on the ignition switch harness underneath the steering column. Pull off the shroud and give it a look. If the fuses are there then you can pull both to disable the system....unless you have an immobilizer.