Water leaking into the rear hatch area

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I wash my 97 GTS or (gads) get caught in a shower, I will find that the carpet in the rear hatch area wet. If I take the spare tire out, and lift the carpet there will be standing water underneath.

I cannot figure where the water is coming from. Are the drain holes in the lid area of the body leaking into the interior? Or are the side vents? I don't think it's the side vents as the water would have to travel up and over the side humps to get to the wheel well area I think.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, sorry to hear that Curtis. Just guessing, but I would check that the drain holes are clear and the weather seal is not cracked or broken. That is about the only way I think that water could get in other then the cabin vents have failed or one of hinges has come undone and causes that side not to mate properly with the weather seal. If you clean out the hatch drains, you might as well as do the one for the gas cap. It might be leaking from there as well.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water leaking into the boot/trunk is probably caused by the rubber weather seal lifting away from the bodywork.
The seal needs re-fitting to plug the gap.
What's happened is the seal has shrunk (contracted) over the years and lifted away from the bodywork next to the drain holes, ironicaly.
Happened on my 96.

To do a repair properly you'll need to remove the seal and replace it with a new one (that's the right length) or stretch the old one, and refit using a little silicon sealant making sure the seal is pressed firmly onto the bodywork especially those inside radius bends.

Alternatively, go to an auto-body repair shop.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just dealt with this myself....replaced the hatch glass gasket with a new one, used clear silicone quick dry caulking. Now is seals really watertight and not only that, it makes the hatch glass seal tighter, so there's a little less road noise. The gasket was $152, so it wasn't cheap.

Also, ensure those drain holes at the side of each hatch are clear....I used the ground wire from some spare electrical wire, it was about perfect diameter and stiffness.

Oh, and if you let this problem keep going, the bottom relay on the driver's side is your fuel relay....any moisture near it and it'll blow and your fuel pump won't work....oh yeah, and the relay is about $23.

Part # 4763 671AB is the hatch glass gasket
Part # 4848 193 is the fuel pump relay

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
C

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I really don't think its' the glass seal since it seems to be in perfect condition. I will try the drain holes first.

Timnineside

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once again YEAH! I had the same problem. The relay didn't actually blow, just the contacts needed to be cleaned.

Good advice!