Water spots and Zaino

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there, done that. You can use straight vinegar - this is from Mr. Zaino himself. After the vinegar treatment I like to use some Z-6 just for good measure. Then I use whichever polish I want (Z-2 or Z-5). Works for me... hope this helps.

Reaction score
Greg,

Can't tell you about your salad mix (!!), but was wondering if you are going to the meeting/dinner Tuesday night in Campbell?

Hopefully I'll meet you there (I live in Palo Alto).

Rollo

red98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a couple of ways you can help the hard water spot problem. One, of course, would be to wash your car using a hose connected to the water softener in the garage. This is what I do in Arizona, but I know your water is probably even harder there. Pending that, you can try this. Once you get the existing spots off, apply the usual Zaino #1 & #2 and whenever you bring your car back home from going out, just give it a quick light "spray and wipe" with the Z-6 in the spray bottle. Do the wheels too. This does two things. It will all but prevent you from having to "wash" your car ever again, unless it's real dirty, so no water spots. Also, you maintain the great look and your car will always look shiny.
PS>>>another tip: When washing your car, or any car, always do the wheels FIRST. Don't wet the whole car. The idea here is obvious. You won't have to spend time doing the wheels later while the water drops dry on the body. Hope this helps. pete

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget the Z-1 prior to using the Z-2 or Z-5! I would also use the Claybar to get rid of the waterspots and other surface contaminants. Even a brand new car has them. Maybe you missed some of Sal's instructions or tips?
You must be registered for see images

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
zgeggy2k, I would recommend washing with dawn and starting over, before you put anymore Zaino on to enhance the water spots. If you get the Zaino off you can clean the clearcoat with the vinegar (although I'm still a believer in claybar), then wash again, wipe with Z-6 and go with the Z-1 and Z-5, Z-2 etc. I know it sounds like a hassle, but you will be glad it's perfect when your done and it will be easier to keep perfect. Also if you're sore you are working too hard with Zaino. It goes on very easy; no rubbing required. Sal says biggest mistake with new users is using too much.

Another option you might try that works great for me is to buy a 2.5 gallon pump sprayer (like you would use to spray weeds or fertilize) and get a 5 gallon bottle of R/O water from the grocery store. Use the R/O water to mix with your Z-7 wash in a bucket; fill the pump sprayer with R/O and wash the car in sections (in the shade or early or late, when car is cool). I open the hood and spray the hood and roof and back with the pump sprayer, wash it with the Z-7 and a 100% cotton towel then use the sprayer to rinse it off. Then I blow it off with my Toro 210 mph leaf blower and wipe with a clean dry 100% cotton towel. Then I do the sides, front and back and blow them and dry them also, then I do the wheels and blow dry them.

When I'm done I blow out the door sills and mirrors and anywhere water might be hiding, then wipe down with Z-6 for the finishing touch. At this point you can put on some more Z-5 or Z-2. Side benfit to this method is you aren't spraying hose water in places you don't want it and you can be in control of the process, instead of running around trying to wipe everything before it dries. These cars are worthy of the effort, and they can look every bit as impressive as they perform with a little patience. (sorry this is so long)
You must be registered for see images