Wax vs glaze? What is better?

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was once told a few years ago that wax is bad as it traps in garbage between the paint and wax layer, but that something called glaze breathed so therefore that was better to use.

Is there any truth in that?:dunno: Anyone have experience with this glaze (like on a donut!:laugh:) business?

Thanks!

Robert

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have been into the mushroom jar again haven't you?

If you properly clean your finish before waxing then what exactly are you trapping under the wax?

Glazed donut head?

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you search Google, or any of those detail sites: autogeek/autotopia/meguires you will find a detailed explanation.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aren't glazes used only after the wet-sanding process? Such as after polishing out any scratches left from the wet sanding after a new paint job? The only time I used glaze was for baking ham.

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Typically a glaze is a surface cover, something to shine for a while, usually a short time; I call it the used car shine. As an example our car wax could also be termed a sealer somewhat, although the proper terminology for any product for an application like this would probably not be a sealer. The term itself says that you are sealing something up, painted surfaces need "to breathe" so to totally seal one off is not the best.

OP
OP
M

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have been into the mushroom jar again haven't you?

If you properly clean your finish before waxing then what exactly are you trapping under the wax?

Glazed donut head?

:hahaup: Funny Dave!;) Oh and as what King Julien says from the Movie Madagascar, "Who wipes?.:omg::lmao::lmao:

Thanks for the links! Those are awesome! I feel smart now.;) And yes I ALWAYS wash before waxing.

Typically a glaze is a surface cover, something to shine for a while, usually a short time; I call it the used car shine. As an example our car wax could also be termed a sealer somewhat, although the proper terminology for any product for an application like this would probably not be a sealer. The term itself says that you are sealing something up, painted surfaces need "to breathe" so to totally seal one off is not the best.

And that covers my last question!

Thanks guys!:hail:

Robert

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of these ( glaze, wax , polish and sealer )
What step if any does the clay bar replace?
Thanks

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
claybar the sombich , glaze it then seal it.sealer stays a long time where wax melts off the car in heat,just like a candle,wax is good for the garage were it will never see the road,sealer will also protect from harmful bird crap and tree sap ect..

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FlyingViper, the answer is D. NONE OF THE ABOVE

refer to post #4 in this thread

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For what?

What are you trying to accomplish?

Glazes are usually used with waxes or a breathable glaze when the paint is fresh and you cannot apply a wax to seal the paint. Glazes will help hide some swirls but are very short lived.

Waxes and sealant are used to protect the paint from the elements and each have there own different properties. I guess it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish as to what product is best for you.

I use and prefer a sealant like Zaino since synthetic polymers seem to have better durability than a carnuaba wax does. Sealant have also come a long way and most people cannot tell the difference between a good carnuaba and a good sealant when looking at it with the naked eye.

If you ahve any more specific questions I would be glad to try to answer them for you. :2tu:

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom, Post #4 does not address the clay bar question.

This post mentions polish as the 1st step. So let me ask it another way.
Does clay bar replace polish as the 1st step followed by glaze, wax/sealer?
Or does it now turn into clay bar, polish, glaze, wax sealer?

What do I want? I want everything off the car and start over with a good
foundation that I know is done correctly. I had some detail shop do the car 2
months ago and it looks awful. I want to start over.
Thank you

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me ask it another way.
Does clay bar replace polish as the 1st step

You read those links and still cant figure out what the diff is between CLAY and POLISH?????:dunno:

CLAY CLEANS the tiny contaminates off of your paint (they stick to the clay as it passes over your paint)

POLISH POLISHES the scratches out of your paint

Cleaning your paint before you Polish it should be common sence as you do Not want to polish contaminates into you paint, you want to polish clean paint.

1. Clean
2. clay bar
3. polish
4. glaze
5. wax

I had some detail shop do the car 2
months ago and it looks awful. I want to start over.
Thank you
You must be exagerating , im sure your viper looks just fine. Take a Befor&After PIC of your viper in the same lacation/angle/lighting and show us the diff between the "awful" job he did and the re-do that you are about to do...:eater:

Last edited:

silverz06vette

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be exagerating , im sure your viper looks just fine. Take a Befor&After PIC of your viper in the same lacation/angle/lighting and show us the diff between the "awful" job he did and the re-do that you are about to do...:eater:

Are you saying that all detail shops do a great job? If so, I can show you a few pics that prove otherwise.

Here is an example of what I am working on today:

You must be registered for see images

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you haven't used a clay bar before you will be amazed by the difference. Even if your car has been regularly cleaned and waxed you will still have tiny contaminants on the surface that the clay will remove.

I use the steps Wash, Clay, Scratch X, Polish, Glaze, Wax, Wax, Wax, all with Meguiars products. My only problem is deciding when theres enough wax on the car:D

Last edited:

Flying Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
silverz06 thanks for the pics. Thats exactly what the guy did to my black porsche tt. swirl marks and a haze like finish.
Sorry Dom if you didnt like the word awful but like I said an awful job.
I do appreciate you listing the order of steps to be performed. I'll try it or at least have
knowledge of what I want from the next guy.

Are you saying that all detail shops do a great job? If so, I can show you a few pics that prove otherwise.

Here is an example of what I am working on today:

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even an Ameture knows that you cant compare pics that have been taken in Different lighting or Different Angles.

Your comparison Pics are BOTH Diff angles and lighting.

Yes i can see the diff, but im just sayin...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456