Weird blotches in paint after Meguiars waxing -What the heck?

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I've waxed many black cars before but this is weird. I waxed my black Gen IV coupe last weekend and covered it later that day. I used Meguire's paste Carnauba wax and the shine was dramatic.

But today I got it out and the paint surface has a weird 'stripe-like' blotchy look to it. If I rub the surface really hard it seems to remove it but I've never seen this before.

Any ideas what it is, what caused it, and what to do?

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This was not visible before the waxing.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
More pics.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Any idea why this happened? I waxed and buffed it inside my garage. It is very visible in the sun!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess without seeing it is the carnuba is sweating and oils are coming to the surface. This is one of the reasons I prefer a good sealant like Zaino over a carnuaba product. That and durability.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you use the clay bar to strip the surface before waxing? It helps to open the paint before waxing to have it ********* evenly. Stripes and blotches happened to me in the past, due to not doing good job applying the wax and then removing it through buffing. I learned to use a moist towel to do the initial buffing and remove whatever wax is on the surface, then buff with dry cloth for the polish. Also, I never cover the car after waxing for a day to let the wax cure. I use Liquid Glass and leave the car in the sun for a few hours to let it bake, then wipe off with moist towel and buff with dry towel again. I cover the car the next day.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just hit the hood again with some Maguire's Quick Detailer and it removed the effect.

So... Should I use the Detailer on the car or just strip it and start over?

I did not clay bar the car. I gave it a good cleaning and drying, then began applying the wax evenly. I've had several black cars - including 4 Grand National Turbo Buicks - but this is a first.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My 'cover' is a set of Cotton sheets. Very light and breathable. The car was cool to the touch when I covered it.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would just leave it alone. Washing the car alone does not go beyond just cleaning the surface, the old wax is still there and wax wears off unevenly, this is why you end up with the blotches, some of new wax goes all the way to the paint and some does not. Usually, you can remove the blotches by rewaxing and buffing like you did. In the future, since it is a black car, I would use the claybar and then make sure the wax is applied with a damp applicator to assure thin even coat. Just a few things I picked up from owning black cars:D

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 'cover' is a set of Cotton sheets. Very light and breathable. The car was cool to the touch when I covered it.
I think the freshly applied wax will sweat regardless how breathable your cover may be. I use a slightly damp towel after polishing to reduce this effect. I can see why I do not have a black car anymore, LOL.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would just leave it alone. Washing the car alone does not go beyond just cleaning the surface, the old wax is still there and wax wears off unevenly, this is why you end up with the blotches, some of new wax goes all the way to the paint and some does not. Usually, you can remove the blotches by rewaxing and buffing like you did. In the future, since it is a black car, I would use the claybar and then make sure the wax is applied with a damp applicator to assure thin even coat. Just a few things I picked up from owning black cars:D

Thanks for the tips.

OP
OP
R

Raven

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is what happened. My car 'cover' sheets are the source of the symmetrical stripes. Apparently, the stripes had some effect on the wax as it cured.

I must not have left the Sheets off long enough because I put them on that evening. The stripes match perfectly. But now I have waxed with the detailer and everything is gone so it looks great.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is what happened. My car 'cover' sheets are the source of the symmetrical stripes. Apparently, the stripes had some effect on the wax as it cured.

I must not have left the Sheets off long enough because I put them on that evening. The stripes match perfectly. But now I have waxed with the detailer and everything is gone so it looks great.
I had to say it but I told you so...:crazy2:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte