Weird Key Fob Issue When Trying to Add New Fob

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for the help. Just picked up a replacement key fob for my 2009 as it came with only one fob.

Followed the directions:
To program a fob:
1. Using programmed fob unlock car, disarm alarm, insert key into switch and turn switch to run position but do not start car.
2. On programmed fob press and hold UNLOCK button for 5 to 10 seconds. While still holding the UNLOCK button and before 10 seconds press the PANIC button and release both. A single chime will sound.
3. Within 30 seconds of the chime press and release the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on the second fob at the same time. Then press and release any button on that fob. A chime will sound to indicate successful programming. Turn ignition switch off.
Up to 4 fobs can be programmed for 1 car.

Problem is that after I program the new fob, the other fob stops working? Repeated the procedure with the newly programmed fob, and then the other one works, but the original stops working???

Any suggestions?

ROCKET

macombtwp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me when I tried programming a new fob for my 2003. My original remote stopped working, so I had to start the procedure again with the new remote. I just repeated step 3 on both remotes and it worked for me.

cowger

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, same, confusing thing happened to me. Several times, in fact, until I figured this out. Totally unintuitive if you ask me, but perhaps it's done this way so you have a way to "kill" a remote that you're getting rid of, for who knows what reason... :)

AndyM23456

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a bigger issue...
I set the alarm and missplaced my keys and only programmed fob.

The battery died in the interim and I connected a trickle charger.
I went to start the car with a spare key and she's locked out due to the security system having activated when the power was down.
so now I have keys and unprogrammed fobs, but cannot program the fobs to unlock the security, without the original fob which I cannot find.
The dealer says ..."have it towed down and we'll program your new fobs for $260".

ok...so I'm an idiot for misplacing the key/fob, but is there another way to bypass the security system, reprogram new fobs, and start my car?

Thank you!
Andy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang