Welding High Flow Cats

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got my high flow cats in, but there was not much room and the slip pipe is pretty close to where the pip curves to go to the stock headers, so they defiantly leak and pipe clamps (either u-type or band clamps will not seal them. It looks like there will be enough room to weld them in place, but I am not a welder so I hope the muffler shop will be able to take care of it without much hassle. I was thinking about getting some muffler tape to seal the pipes for the drive over, would that stuff come off OK when they go to weld the pipes?

jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get them welded. Any decent welder should be able to weld around them without removing them from the car. I got mine done at Midas for 50$.

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JimT

Which high flow cats did you get? I would also recommend welding - do it once and forget about it.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got Random Technology hi-flow cats from JonB that were cut to length "Viper specific" by RT to go with my Corsa cat-back system. Upon test fitting I found that the length RT sized them to, it put the inlet end WAAAAAAAY up near the radius of the bend of the forward header exhaust pipe.
I actully had a friend that owns a machine shop cut the length of the exit pipe of the cat down for me so that they were welded up more on to the straight end of the factory collector pipe (I tried to cut them with a Sawsall, but that stainless just laughed at me). I had everything marked up with where to do the welding with horizontal line-up marks in several places along with a circumference allignment mark (had to take the exhaust header pipe loose from the exhaust headers to get the welding done). It came out PERFECT as I just installed everything last night.

If you want pics send me your email addy via PM before I put the sills back on

OP
OP
J

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I got the Cats from Roe Racing with pre welded slip pipes. I cut the OEM Cats off right at the end, but even so this did not leave enough straight pipe length for a good seal with clamps. I know it's no big deal to weld them but I’m not happy about the pipes leaking on the drive over to the muffler shop.

RT/ED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JimT,

My local Tuffy Muffler shop welded my side exhaust in place that I purchased from Roe Racing.....$35 This is the only way to go. Good luck! :usa:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will this be an issue if you have stock exhaust (resonators)?

THanks

Are you talking RT's?

Yes, because the Corsa system is actually made to work with the stock cats, so the length will be the same (you just need a 3" to 2-1/2" adapter). But see my post above. Maybe RT sent me cats that were sized too long, I dont know, they were supposed to be for a stock Viper. Point being, I had to cut about 2-3 inches off the rear end of the cat for them to fit perfectly on the "straight" portion of the curved pipe coming out from the engine.
And by all means weld them in as many of the joints that you can.
good luck!

sbkim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJoe - well Random Tech and for GTS. I will just wait and see how this works but I will plan on some welding work.

BTW, great combo on the Z06 - I also had mil yel/black combo and belive it or not I miss that car

You must be registered for see images

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I may have been somewhat confusing in my last reply. RT send you a Viper cat that is actually longer than the length from the inlet of the stock cat to the outlet of the stock cat. 2 choices, have it welded on WAAAAAAAAAY up on the radius if the curved pipe, or cut some off the exit end or long pipe end of thew RT cat for a more "perfect" fit.

It will be the same for Gen2 RT/10 like mine and GTS's.
Man that 3" pipe on the RT's look like swewer pipes compared to the stock inlet pipe diameter!

Let us know how it goes during your installation

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinusbeats