Well, it's decidion time guys, buying soon, what dio i do?

thebadbat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, it\'s decidion time guys, buying soon, what dio i do?

Hey guys, Im buying a new sports car in the next few weeks...
At first I was going to hop in a Millenium Yellow 02 Z-06 with Mod Red Interior (benn at the LS1 camp for the past three years :eek: ;) ) but have always loved Vipers.....

My question is, what year of Viper could I realistically get for around $50-$60,000???? Keep in mind that I would want the GTS model. Also, what are the different horsepower numbers for the diff model years??? What color combos would i be looking at for these years of Viper??? What kind of features would it or wouldn't it have??? And also, have you guys had any major problems with your car??? Why do i hear of Vipers sometimes overheating??? What is the insurance like compared to a vette (not that big of a deal) And could you list all the advantages of the Viper over the Z-06??? How much difference is there really??? And also, how comfortable would it be to drive 4 days or so a week??? Sorry for all the questions, its just that i really want this car, and need to know EVERYTHING you can tell me!!!
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif
BURNOUT.gif

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Well, it\'s decidion time guys, buying soon, what dio i do?

heres my 2 cents

for $50-$60,000k you can get a real nice gts.

Id get the GTS. You'll be happy you did.

2tall

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buy the back issue of Viper magazine, Spring 2001 ($6 shipped), written by our own JonB. You'll be glad you did. Except for 2 small typos, the whole article is on the ball and explains what happened each year, along with pictures.

50-60 will get you a 92-99-maybe 2000 viper. 98 is at the bottom, 00 might be stretching it.

-B

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For $60K, you could easily get an under 5k miles 99 GTS, 450hp (450hp for all GTSs basically), check out prices on cars.com and autotrader.com, as well as the classifieds on this site. Three months ago I got my 98 RT/10 with 5k miles for $55K (including both tops). There are plenty of deals out there, and if you want one that's not near you, someone on the board would probably be willing to take an initial look at it for you (no warranties from said reviewer of course, but at least you could get an idea about the car). As for colors, red is always available, for 98-99 you could get silver also, and black was available in 99.

Features it would not have: cupholders, dead pedal, ABS, gold chains, less-than-outrageous looks, etc.

It would be very comfortable as a daily driver (mine is
smile.gif
).

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

02 ZO6, best Vett yet! If you want something that is easy to drive on a daily basis, this is where you should go. But remember, it still looks like a normal Vett to 99% of the people, so if you like special looks you may be disappointed.

GTS, crazy fast, crazy looking, crazy owners! This is not a car for the weak at heart. If you have to question which to get, I suggest you go with the Vett. The only reason to own a GTS is because you like knowing that you have something special, and the GTS will remind you of that every time you get in and touch the gas.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't forget about the wonderful tax, license, and registration fees that go along with that price tag. I bought a '00 GTS with less than 2K miles and by the time the final tab was presented I was staring at $74,000.00, plus I shopped for two months to assure a good deal. The price range you noted will not realistically get you a '99 or newer GTS. You may find a moderate mileage car between '96 and '98 for that price and count on the higher-end of the price range when all monies expended are tabulated.

You will get biased opinions here, but ultimately you should drive both cars and determine what's important to you. Both are nice vehicles, but they differ in character more than you might think.

Asked our personal opinions: No problems with my Viper thus far and I wouldn't trade it for anything else!

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This question has been asked many times here I would suggest that you do a search of the topic you will find lots of good stuff. As for price low $50K will get you a 96 or 97 GTS (the classic blue with white stripe) the 96 had some rim cracking problems and the 97 had intake gasket leaking problems, both of which are most likely been fixed/replaced by now on these cars. I bought my used 97 GTS instead of a new Corvette and glad I did. The overheating was on the early GTS cars which can be easily fixed with a larger fan ($150) that is now used in the new cars. Insurance is very cheap, don't know why though. My Viper with full coverage is only about $300 more per year than my 95 Mazda MX6 was which only has liability NOT collision or theft coverage. This is not a special low mileage rate its the full rate based on a daily driver.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve Ferguson:
If you have to question which to get, I suggest you go with the Vett.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that. A lot of people get a Viper and then complain that it doesn't drive itself for them. Or they complain about a number of other nit-picky things that ******** Vipermaniacs couldn't care less about.

BTW Even though the Viper has a luxury tax, it is NOT a luxury car.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I dont know what all the mix up is about Vipers being a pain to drive. The viper is AS easy to drive as a C5. The Biggest difference is it seems to like to pull it self into ruts.

Vipers are very easy to drive. The only thing I had to get used to is the pedal placement and the epic hood length but that took a day.

If you are thinking about a Vete now, but are considering a Viper also, I GAURANTEE that you will buy the Vette, drive it for a year then you will get a viper.
tongue.gif
Thats what I did. More like 6 months.

I love the C5 and Z06 but Im sick of looking at them.

G

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I may have my 99 Black GTS with Connoly interior for sale with lots of extras. E-mail me and we can talk. It all depends if the deal goes threw for my 2003.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shhhhhhhh....
Quit telling all these Vette guys to geta Viper. Pretty soon EVERYBODY will be driving them and they will be the savior of DC!!
Yeah, yeah, Bud get the Z06!! MUCH better car, heads will turn WHERE EVER you go, major chick magnet, a JET, THE best car ever, EVER!!
wink wink to all you snake drivers :)

OP
OP
T

thebadbat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Also, a few more questions......

Im 6 foot 4 or 5 ish, would i have any problem with that??? Are they as big legroom whise as a vette??? Thanks!!
BURNOUT.gif