Went look at a GTS today and would like input from owners...

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to look at a red '97 GTS w/ 18k miles on it. Couple things I noticed is that the owner didn't know anything about the history of the car. Apparently he owned a f355 (ferrari) and took the viper as a trade a couple years ago.

The paint overall looked very good but the front hood on the driver's side had a big gap both behind the headlamp and over the bumper near the front wheel. The passenger side wheel also looked to be sitting a little bit more inward towards the center of the car. I asked him if the car had ever been hit and he said he was pretty sure it hadn't and tha tthe car tracked very straight, but I am skeptical. Does the passenger side front wheel sit a tad closer to the center of the car than the driver's side? Seems unlikely.

Also the car was pretty loud and shook a lot when I started it up. He said the previous owner spent 4k on a full borla system, and it was pretty loud, but when I looked at the rear exhaust tips they looked to me like just tips and nothing more. I could see smaller pipes inside the tips is that how all borla exhausts are? It was definitely loud but something just seemed off.

Overall I think I will stear clear of this car unless the owner is really willing to bargain, but what are some impressions you guys get from reading this?

Thanks

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi RMani,

Carfax is great for covering what the current owner forgets, or omits whether intentionally or otherwise; so if I was you, I'd look up the VIN first with carfax, then go see the car and you can then see how honest the seller is.

The Borla exhaust is quite loud, I have the Borla catback on my '02 ACR and my fiancee forbids me to start my baby after 9 pm because all the other neighbours have young children. Also, my fiancee's daughter used to hear me coming about a mile away from the house....so yes...the Borla is just a little loud at times. If the previous owner hollowed out the catalytic converters, that would also contribute to the loudness and in some cases allow fire to spew out the back of the exhaust under hard throttle (cool looking).

The hoods on the GEN 1 and GEN 2 Vipers can require a lot of adjustment to ensure they sit squarely over the engine....maybe the former owner had the hood off for some reason and didn't get it aligned as he/she put it back on.

If I were you, I'd run the carfax and beat the guy up on price if the carfax comes back clean.

Regards,
Aaron

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sound all that unusual to me. Hood gaps are common. Get it up on a hoist to have a look at the frame,suspension etc. You can tell alot about how these cars are taken care of from a good look under them.
The car shook and was loud, that's pretty normal, too. The '97s have a cam that's a tad lumpier than other years.
What else have you been looking at? Just curious.
Run that carfax as AFL in NJ suggested.

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with the CARFAX and also suggest:

Get a Viper tech to give it a once over because if you are not familiar with Vipers you don't know what to look for. It's money well spent.

B

BurntRubber

Carfax, then call your local Viper tech and give him the VIN, he can run a chrysler in house report that would also tell anything out of the ordinary. Remember that Viper's are not assembly line car. You will not get the fit and finish of a toyota/honda in a early gen II Viper. If the price is good I would go for it!

How much for the car?

OP
OP
R

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the advice. right now he is asking 40k OBO. I'm not so worried about the hood alignment as I am that the passenger side wheel seems to sit a little closer to center than the driver's side.

And then of course there's also the exhaust. i don't care that it's loud, in fact if I buy a viper i want the loudest exhaust humanly possible, but when would borla make an exhaust that has tips covering smaller tips inside? Just seems odd to me.

Anyone know a good viper tech here in NJ?

V

Venomiss

thanks for the advice. right now he is asking 40k OBO. I'm not so worried about the hood alignment as I am that the passenger side wheel seems to sit a little closer to center than the driver's side.

And then of course there's also the exhaust. i don't care that it's loud, in fact if I buy a viper i want the loudest exhaust humanly possible, but when would borla make an exhaust that has tips covering smaller tips inside? Just seems odd to me.

Anyone know a good viper tech here in NJ?

Here is the NJ club website:look at the dealers and maybe contact some members to see who they recommend for a tech. Spending money on a tech now might save you $$in the future. Good luck!

NJ Viper Club

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rmani,

Try Scott Sorrentino/ Warnock Doge, East Hanover. He's the NJ/VCA Viper Tech. 973-599-2509. I'm sure he can help you locally.

Jay R.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Jay, Warnock and Buhler are the primary Viper-specific dealers with good techs on site for checking over your future baby!

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP
R

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rmani,

Try Scott Sorrentino/ Warnock Doge, East Hanover. He's the NJ/VCA Viper Tech. 973-599-2509. I'm sure he can help you locally.

Jay R.

I'm like 10 minutes from that dealer thanks a lot.

And thank you everyone else for your help. :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456