What can be the problem???

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The last few times I went to start the '09 coupe up it took a while (3-4) seconds before she turned over. Almost as if she was ready to stall then she would start. Well today I went to start her up and she didn't. She kept cranking like she wanted to turn over (remember the old carburator cars where you had to pump the gas pedal several times and it would take forever before the car would start). I then turned the key back and tried again and she started up immediately. Possible fuel problem??? Starter?? Plugs??? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can hook to the fuel rail? That sounds a lot like either a bad fuel pump or a bad regulator. If it keeps doing it, the dealer will at least be able to reproduce it easily. Having a warranty really is a nice thing.

vipertanz

Viper Owner
Reaction score
+1 on the fuel pump my gen I did the same thing had to mash the pedal a few times to get it started and then it ran what I thought was good until they replaced the fuel pump and I got to ddrive her he way it should drive.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When was the last time you ran the car? My car runs really crappy when the battery is low on a charge.

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bad battery. no doubt. already been there , done that with my 2009 ACR. you will need a new battery in the very near future.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is exactly like the problem I have with my 08 that I posted about a short while ago,but I have a new battery in my vehicle.

Beau

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try turning the key on and off a couple of times before cranking the engine. You should hear the fuel pump prime for about two seconds when you turn the key, this will build fuel pressure. If it starts good after building fuel pressure then you know that you have a pump issue. Possibly a stuck check ball in the pump module, this only allows fuel to flow one way. It may be allowing fuel to drain back into the tank after the pump primes causing a drop in pressure. If the cranking speed is normal, your battery is good.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks a ton for the advice. I will be heading out soon to start her up. Will give you an update.

Nader...Ran the car about 1 week ago....I drive the car once every 2-3 weeks in winter. April till oct...as often as I can.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge that you can hook to the fuel rail? That sounds a lot like either a bad fuel pump or a bad regulator. If it keeps doing it, the dealer will at least be able to reproduce it easily. Having a warranty really is a nice thing.

Sure is...looking to extend it!

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somethimg I failed to mention that I just thought of....I have been hearing a whine/whistling noise coming from the rear..(similar to making a whistling noise with an empty beer bottle) ....thought it was a result of the corsa i had installed...could it be a bad fuel pump? Only happens at certain times..mainly decel, but sometimes during cruising.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somethimg I failed to mention that I just thought of....I have been hearing a whine/whistling noise coming from the rear..(similar to making a whistling noise with an empty beer bottle) ....thought it was a result of the corsa i had installed...could it be a bad fuel pump? Only happens at certain times..mainly decel, but sometimes during cruising.

That could be several things and may or may not be related. Usually a sound like that is related to the rear end - but if your fuel pump is starting to go out, it could be related to that.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Battery tender and a new OEM mopar battery maybe. It seems like many posts/owners on here have had troubles with the Optima which Im glad I read.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just running car is not enough to get a good charge in the battery. I used to do the same thing and wondered why it ran like crap sometimes. Now I use a battery tender and have not had any further issues.

Judging from your last post it might not be the battery but you should take a fee minutes to rule it out. Make sure it's got a good charge. Stick a battery tender on it if you can.

Hey guys, thanks a ton for the advice. I will be heading out soon to start her up. Will give you an update.

Nader...Ran the car about 1 week ago....I drive the car once every 2-3 weeks in winter. April till oct...as often as I can.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
As above,

1 - Get a battery tender and use it whenever the car sits.

2 - When the Gen IV Viper has sat for more than a few days, turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump to fill the fuel lines and fuel rails. When the fuel pump has turned off (you will hear it), crank the engine. I've noticed that the Gen IV Viper fuel pump takes quite a bit longer to fill the lines than the Gen II or Gen III.

Perhaps the fuel line or fuel rails hold a greater volume of fuel and take longer to fill, perhaps the fuel pressure regulator bleeds pressure when not in use faster than the other Gens, etc. - not sure but this procedure works for me.

Dan

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Perhaps the fuel line or fuel rails hold a greater volume of fuel and take longer to fill, perhaps the fuel pressure regulator bleeds pressure when not in use faster than the other Gens, etc. - not sure but this procedure works for me.

Dan

Good point - the Gen IV probably does build pressure slower than the Gen I and Gen II cars. I don't know the specs on the Gen IV pump and regulator, but I do know that it doesn't need to respond to the start cycle as fast as previous cars. When you turn the key to the "ON" position, it takes a little while to actually move your hand to the 'start' button. So, the pump doesn't need to build pressure as fast as the older cars that often went from full off to "start motor engage" in a split second. It would make sense that the engineers took that time delay into consideration when spec'ing out the system.

OP
OP

09 Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update...have driven the car the past three days. When ignition is turned to the on position, I can clearly hear the fuel pump kick on and stop. I then waited a few seconds. Car started all three times but still with a hesitation I would consider a bit long. Thinking of bringing car in to check injectors and pump just to rule them out as a problem.

Malu59RT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As stated before, check the battery. My 08 would start to crank really slowly, and left me worried a couple of times that it wouldn't start. I took it to the dealer, new battery, and it starts instantly.