what car to buy?

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My brother is tinkering with the idea of getting rid of his highly modified Mistsubishi Evo for something more dependable.

We were racking our brains for other options. He was thinking old muscle car (which I told him would handle worse than his infiniti sedan), he also considered the new shelby gt500 (which I told him is too heavey and would depreciate similar to other new cars, which is bad for him since he trades in less than every 2 years).

I've had a 96 gts for about a month now and absolutely love it. I recommended he look into gen2 vipers, as imo the looks/power/handling/exclisivity can not be beat for the price, not to mention they won't depreciate like many other options. I think a 99' RT10 might be his best bet (ABS and forged pistons right?)

The only other option I could think of is a used NSX, but I don't think he would fit at 6'3". Can anyone think of other options in the $40-60K price range that won't depreciate like all hell?

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My brother is tinkering with the idea of getting rid of his highly modified Mistsubishi Evo for something more dependable.

We were racking our brains for other options. He was thinking old muscle car (which I told him would handle worse than his infiniti sedan), he also considered the new shelby gt500 (which I told him is too heavey and would depreciate similar to other new cars, which is bad for him since he trades in less than every 2 years).

I've had a 96 gts for about a month now and absolutely love it. I recommended he look into gen2 vipers, as imo the looks/power/handling/exclisivity can not be beat for the price, not to mention they won't depreciate like many other options. I think a 99' RT10 might be his best bet (ABS and forged pistons right?)

The only other option I could think of is a used NSX, but I don't think he would fit at 6'3". Can anyone think of other options in the $40-60K price range that won't depreciate like all hell?

Viper would be choice #1, but i would also look into a 95-98 Porsche Turbo. That would be VERY dependable and a much better Daily driver. You can check Ebay in that upper price range you have there, you can get lucky and find a Mint Turbo. Good luck.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He was thinking old muscle car (which I told him would handle worse than his infiniti sedan)

Not trying to steer you away from a Viper but you can make old muscle cars handle wonderfully. Check out some of the cars and products on this site:

http://www.lateral-g.net/

Then take a look at a few of the videos on the website in my link below. If I can do that with an El Camino, just think what you could do with a Camaro, Firebird, or Mustang.

----------------

Keith
(soon to be "Back In Black")

My '70 El Camino SS

OP
OP
J

jwbond

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Viper would be choice #1, but i would also look into a 95-98 Porsche Turbo. That would be VERY dependable and a much better Daily driver. You can check Ebay in that upper price range you have there, you can get lucky and find a Mint Turbo. Good luck.

We thought about a turbo porsche, but I am trying to persuade him away, as they are so plain looking imo.

he has a daily driver, so why not go balls out right? :laugh:

ryan94rt10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey jwbond,

im 6'3" and i fit into a nsx pretty easily...but don't you think the nsx used resale is going to drop off dramatically when the new one with the v 10 (near 500 hp) comes out...i would think that will drop the older ones value close to 10 grand less when that happens. jmho

steer him towards a viper...if he looks hard enough, he may buy it today, and drive it for two years and sell it for more than its worth :2tu:

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd say he can't go wrong with the Gen 2, regardless if he goes GTS or RT/10 - these cars are so fun to drive (for driver and other traffic), and plenty of performance - good luck on the search.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if he has a daily driver, then he need a VIPER as the FUN car

no doubt about it

think about all the fun you guys could have hangin' out, crusing and modding them together

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just happen to have a very nice 99' RT-10 that I am selling to make some more room in my garage. It has alot of work done to it but just as reliable.

D

dano

If you don't go with a Viper...get a C5 Z06 and dump $15K into mods then you can wave at the tens of thousands of other vettes.