What could be leaking?.?.?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SO I moved my '01 off the lift today and noticed a spot of some kind of fluid on the drip tray. This particular tray sits under the rear differential of the car. I know this will sound like a dumb question but i'm very much a novice when it comes to cars. Could the differential be the only thing thats leaking? What does everybody think. Just a bad seal or something worse.....:( Here's a crummy cell phone pic of the spot. In the center of the image you will see a black spot and the fluid spreads from there.

IMG_11352.jpg

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diff fluid is pretty heavy/viscous....especially if its been there a while. Sure its not gas? Looks like it spread and dried..... I think the only three fluids back there are diff, shocks and gas.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Diff fluid is pretty heavy/viscous....especially if its been there a while. Sure its not gas? Looks like it spread and dried..... I think the only three fluids back there are diff, shocks and gas.

Definitely not gas. No odor. The other things seen on the drip tray is condensation that has dried on the pan. WHere would the shocks leak from? Top? I ran my finger through the fluid and it feels oily. The car has been sitting for at least a month maybe longer. Drip pans were cleaned before I took the car to our holiday party at the end of april and I have not driven it since so thats the build up that has accumulated since then.

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at your shocks. When mine went they dripped a good amount of fluid. It was quite the "shock" to see all that fluid sitting under my car too.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an appointment with my viper tech next week to see what we can find but please keep the ideas coming. I'm changing the oil on my '08 tonight and then I'll put the '01 back on the lift to see what I can see.

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had been sitting for several days when she blew her guts in my shop. The puddle from it blowing:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine had been sitting for several days while just sitting in my shop. The puddle from it blowing:

:omg: Hopefully its not that. I know when I got the car I had the pinion seal go in the rear end so i'm wondering if it's shot again. The leak on the drip pan is located almost directy under the differential. If standing behind the car it would be just slightly to the right of dead center.

ACR_Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds like the culprit then. Check the brake line as others have said, just in case.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE...

So I got the car back on the lift and got under it with a light and look what I found...
CIMG3152.JPG

The differential plug had become loose and fluid was leaking out that way. The little tag you see hanging there was covered in fluid. We tried to retighten it and we cleaned the tag and pan to see if we get any fresh leaking. Still gonna try to take it into the Tech to see how much fluid loss their is and also see if this is the possible cause of another problem I have been having.

98RT98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stick you finger in there and see if you can touch fluid. if not make a dip stick buy bending a piece of wire 90 deg. to check the abount of fluid

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've seen the diff plug leak when the differential has been over-filled, even with the plug tight. If it is the diff, I'd drain and refill it with the proper amount of additive and diff fluid.

OP
OP

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
stick you finger in there and see if you can touch fluid. if not make a dip stick buy bending a piece of wire 90 deg. to check the abount of fluid

I've seen the diff plug leak when the differential has been over-filled, even with the plug tight. If it is the diff, I'd drain and refill it with the proper amount of additive and diff fluid.

It's definitely the diff. I have an appointment with my Viper tech next week to get it checked out. Gonna see where the fluid level is at and then maybe get changed if theres time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery