What do you guys use to delete the cats?

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you have belanger headers and their cat back I have a set of bolt on off road pipes. They were the original pipes but the cat's blew out over time. I had new HF metal cats put in along with new pipes. I kept the old ones with the shells from the cats.

Anyone wants them they can have them, pick up san diego or pay shipping. I'll drop them off at a local UPS store and you can deal with them over the phone to handle the shipping/packaging.

Carl

Note...I could be slow in getting back to you over the next two weeks so be patient.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Odd.. I never had that problem.. I really liked the setup and sound that I did in my previous reply. Pretty sure that the rear O2 sensors only determine if cats exist and do not impact a/f mixture.. sounds like you had another problem, but if it's ok now with cats back on.. can't say much other than that ***** because I didn't share them..

My cat experience is you can listen to videos on youtube.com (search threads with vids) and then take your chances. Some are happy with their sound and some aren't. Most Borla and Corsa customers are happy. The Prices for engineered systems are high. They use sound cancellation technology to removed harsh nasty moises without ANY restriction. Building a nice sounding Viper exhaust is difficult becuase it's an 'odd-fire' engine. Gen 2s have 3 times the length of exhaust and it exits at the rear of the car so it is MUCH easier to get a nicer sounding exhaust and teh length of tubinh mellows the sound.

The check engine lights set by the rear oxy sensors can be mostly eliminated by plugging their hole and tying them to the harness out of the exhaust flow. This can set an occaissional CEL and resettign the computer will removed it again. Most of the 'ricers' get past the CEL (in emmissions areas) by installing their osy sensors into "non-foulers" and that seems to work for nearly all of them. I have the Simms and recently bought and built the non-fouler setup. The non-fouler set-up seems the best so far. The Simms seem to reset the program and start running extremely rich sometimes. I used to change the simms, sensors strapped outside the exhaust and now the non-foulers. The non-foulers seem to work the best so far.

I bought a Diablo Predator to tune the wife's new Hemi Ram for the gutted cats and headers I have to instal. I had a 'custom off-road' program written and emailed to me which I installed with my SCT tuner. That would work although the rear sensor still need to be plugged in or expect the occaissional CEL as the program also sets a CEL if the rear sensors HEATERS are unplugged.

There is a factory program that can "guess" that the Cat is overheating and dump fuel into the engine to "save the cat.

It seems from my experience (and Mike's above) that our cars are different and what works for one may or may not work for the other. PM if wanting more info on the non-foulers.

Ted

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is your current exhaust setup? stock headers?
My following opinion is based on my setup being; Headers w/3"B&Bsystem.

If you cant take the heat and want to do dstraightpipes as a quick fix then go for it. But as JonB said, the sound is "ratty-hammery", the ear piercing WAAAA!!! gets very annoying especially when it reflects off of trees or other cars as you pass em.

If you want to ditch the stock cats than there are mufflers/resonators/hiflowCats that you can use to increase the flow and decrease the heat. These options will sound louder/better than stocks cats, but not obnoxious/annoying like straightpipes.

With any of these options the simplest way to DIY without having to drop the whole system is to just replace the component with a butt connection using bandclamps that can be purchased at napa or an exhaust shop.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

And like, this one time, at band clamp......:lmao:

Ron

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most of the 'ricers' get past the CEL (in emmissions areas) by installing their osy sensors into "non-foulers" and that seems to work for nearly all of them. I have the Simms and recently bought and built the non-fouler setup. The non-fouler set-up seems the best so far. The Simms seem to reset the program and start running extremely rich sometimes. I used to change the simms, sensors strapped outside the exhaust and now the non-foulers. The non-foulers seem to work the best so far.

non foulers have worked great in my car for about 10k miles with my exhaust current setup

bellangers, no cats, one bullet muffler in each sill and x-pipe muffler delete out back

Rizzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had high flows and took them out. Full Borla Cat back installed with stock headers and no cats. I have never had anybody even mention a smell in 4 summers of driving it and have never noticed it. No stink ever. No 02 sims either and no codes. I love the sound and get compliments on it all the time. Its not too loud unless you open it up and then it can be heard for a long way but I like loud. My buddys in their Lambo's and Ferrari's are all running aftermarket exhaust and they have a high pitched screech that also sounds awesome but the Viper is a totally different sound. More of a deep rumble sound. At WOT it is very loud but how often are you running WOT? The other thing that is nice is the difference in heat. It is way cooler inside the cabin and you can drive around all day and still touch the side sills no problem.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody got used high flows they're looking to unload? My stock cats require me to repaint the sills every 30,000 miles, so I'm thinking the high flows should run cooler and not increase sound too much. This is for my street Viper, I take my tracker out when I want more sound.