What Do You Think??????

Reaction score
Hey Everyone @ viperclub of america,

I need a opinion, Should I buy a Viper? I am 16, and My parents think I should wait. They are worried about my safety. I think they are very safe cars as long as you respect them? I am a few months away from getting one. Gen I or Gen II anyway what is your thoughts?

Thanks

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I pretty much agree, although I don't think the driving instruction is the big issue here. When I was younger I built fast cars and drove them stupidly. I was good mind you, but stupid. I would have found it hard to believe, but now that I look back I was **** lucky. At the time the only care I had was the police. Now when I'm on the pedal a bit and I see a kid or grandmother crossing the road, I think twice about how my life (and their life) can change in a second. That being said, if you can afford it, buy it. Just try to be a man and use it wisely.

TriJim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMAX --

Congratulations on turning 16. While I support the need for good driver training, studies show that driver training usually doesn't change the behaviors that lead to more accidents in younger drivers. Experience, lack of distractions, and attitude are key factors in reducing accidents.

My 17 and 15 year-old kids have license and learner's permit respectively. Each have agreed to demonstrate their driving expertise and gain experience before driving our higher performance cars. In particular, the Viper is not the easiest car in which to learn to shift a manual transmission. Finally, driving a "normal" car will keep your insurance affordable (I pay more for my 17 year-old with no accidents in a 1993 Nissan than I do for myself in the 2002 Viper).

Good Luck.

alexWS6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
get a POS til your 17, learn how to drive, then buy the snake and have at it!!

btw- gen2
cool.gif

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marc Lublin:
Just try to be a man and use it wisely.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take this advice seriously if you choose to get it. When i got it i said to myself, im not gonna do anything stupid, im gonna keep it straight and smooth. this all changed when i passed the break in period. Once you get curious and mash that pedal you get addicted. I had to learn the hard way man. I hit it about three months after i got it and i lost it at the top if first. LUCKILY there was no car in the next lane and i recovered it. Didnt spin out all the way, but made a very EXTREME lane change if you know what i mean. Its unfortunate that it took that much for me to REALLY respect what this car is made out of. After a few months, you feel like you know the car, that you can control it. But believe me, if you ever feel like that, get out, take a step back, and reassess waht you were just thinking. You must always remember, that this in this car, a person can get very stupid, and it will bite you HARD. As long as you keep a level head and make sure you be very responsible with it, you will be fine. Just remember, the car is more powerful than our will. It can easily ****** you into trouble. Just remember what you are dealing with.

snake dreams

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your're only 16 and you actually have the option of buying a Viper? You ****!! I'm 18 and don't even know if I'll ever be able to afford one!! Just messing with you, but seriously, buy a ****** car with an mtx to get used to shifting, and take some time driving it. Once you are pretty sure of yourself buy the Viper. I can tell you right now, and I've seen it happen to a lot of my friends, that if you try to push your car to do more than you're ready for, the results can be devastating. Just drive safe, most of the time
wink.gif

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing how you plan to buy it. This is a very dangerous car in the hands of the inexperienced. you should never consider jumping right in from any front wheel drive or normal stock american rear drive v8. For example if the wheels are not absolutely straight when you hit it you can spin the car, if you miss the upshift from second to third, or third to fourth, thereby downshifting in the first instance into first or in the second instance into second accidentally you will spin the car. and missing these shifts in this car is easy to do even for those who of us who have many years racing under our belts. This is a car you need to work your way up to to. I kind of feel like I'm playing Dr. Drew here but I have a feeling you may have posted this to get an opinion you could give to your parents. if that is the case and buying the car is not a problem in your family, I suggest you work up to the Viper by buying something not quite so unpredictable, a nice Mustang GT, Z28, Firebird, get used to big lumps of rear wheel torque in small doses. I know it's the coolest car on the planet, sell it to your parents this way...a normal car for six months...hey, even front wheel drive..you're drivin' man. then Mustang Gt/Cobra or Z28. Your flavor, demonstrate to your parents that you can handle the horesepower without the problems, but more importantly and the reason you maybe came to this site for approval, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE ON THE TRACK! Here's a suggestion, you and your dad do a Skip Barber driving school. yeah, they use Vipers. It doesn't really matter though, if you really love high performance cars convince your Mom and dad to let you take a race school. Any race school. That is the advice we give ANY new viper owner regardless of age when they sign on here saying they bought a Viper.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What ever happened to the old days when you scraped together $ 500.00 and bought a very used car to get around. When it broke you went to the junk yard and bought used parts because you could not afford new ones. I am confused.

OP
OP
P
Reaction score
Hey!!!

Thanks for your opinions, As far as driving school. Already planned, Skip Barber here I come. I know no one is bullet proof that's life. I think from the comments I should wait few months. And get a SRT-4 that's coming out. I'll see how I like that and then move on to a Viper. But still can't wait to get my Viper

Thanks

As far as buying it. I have worked for it. I have built desktop computers and laptops for 4 years. Also stock market. And alot of wisdom. Never settle where you are in life, because you never know how far you can go until you try.

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to sound mean, but I would say no....don't do it!!!
I am 45 years old and am getting my first Viper soon 2-3 weeks. I have owned chevelles, road runners, gtx, corvettes, etc. I presently own a 2000 vette 6 spd. I have driven 3 Vipers, they are a TOTALLY different breed ! Especially when we have cold tires and pavement...like under 60 degrees. I spun my vette last week at half throttle. The Viper is a BULLY and will surprise you quick. I will be the first to ask this board of the proper "do's and don'ts " as a new Viper owner. I also have a son 18 years old. So you are getting responsible advice. Fatal mistakes can happen in a second. But can scar for a lifetime. Yea, the Snake is the coolest car on the planet...but you need to mature and get the feel of a 4 cylinder stick first, then a camaro, etc. If you have the money or not...that means nothing to me at all....all the money in the world cannot change death of you or someone else. My vette is fast at 370 hp.....A 450 hp Viper is beyond fast, you have 490 ft. lbs. of torque at 3700 rpms....not even close to redline at 6 grand. One mishap at those rpms and your in trouble. Think clearly, if you can...Don't do it.

Just my honest opinion

Best, Dave 2002 GTS FINAL EDITION #338

Daffy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't do it! You're too young!

You see, the problem is once you get the viper, no other car will be enjoyable, it is simply an amazing car. If you get one now @ 16, you won't have the pleasure of enjoying other rides leading up to the viper, you'll be ruined for life - only satisfied by the snake. I've had a lot of sports cars and now I have no real desire to own anything else, I've been viperized .. and you will be too.

Well, kinda kidding, kinda not. Something to think about.

Whatever you decide, stay as mature with the car as you "sound" in your posts and you should be OK. Respect for the car, yourself & others is what it's about .. & it sounds like you have all three, Bro.

Live long & prosper young one.

Dave.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRT 4...excellent idea, those of us at VOI7 got a little preview, this is one hot NEON, 0-60 under 5.9 seconds. There are dealers who support this site and advertise on it who could get you into an early one. Ask if you need help finding one.

S

SUN RA KAT

The first answer to your post by JMcGuire was like reading my own history when I was young and had several extremely fast Plymouths and extremely good luck to have survived them. The Viper is several stages above those Plymouths. I almost never get beyond 2/3 throttle, and usually 1/4 throttle puts me way over the speed limit on city streets so I go from 1st to 4th or 5th gear directly. Like a great stereo that doesn't need to be turned up to enjoy it, the Viper doesn't have to be driven very hard to enjoy it. You sound mature enough to make the right choice about the Viper. You will really enjoy the SRT-4 and it will really give you a good idea about driving a truly fast car. With the professional driving instruction (I'm getting some for me, too!) you will be much better prepared for when it's time to move into a Viper.

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have owned more performace cars than you can shake a stick at.

I did buy Neon ACR a while back and enjoyed the heck out of it. I would love to own one of new SRT-4's that are coming out. The best thing about the Neon ACR was that I could dog the heck out of it and it would take a lot before I could get myself into serious trouble.

In my Viper ACR I can get into SERIOUS trouble in .5 seconds. I'm 36 and can not imagine being able to afford a viper at 16.

I have two boys and when they get old enough to drive they ARE NOT going to drive uber fast cars. I will get them an SRT but not a Vette. (don't even think about the Viper buddy
smile.gif
)

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not being a **** or anything.. but if you have the cash to flat out buy a viper right now, put it away. Thats right, put it away. Buy a ******, and continue to put cash together...it will payoff bigtime in the end
smile.gif

MM

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If your parents are wealthy and you are mature enough not to go through a set of tires every other weekend....fine..got for it. Otherwise...save your cash and buy something else like a Corvette. They make great beaters!

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i think its great if you can get a viper at sixteen. ive seen more accident victims than i can remember over the past 7 yrs at the ER center and i cannot recall but a rare few that were due to a high performance vehicle/teenager combination (unless drugs were involved) so while many might say youre too young, i disagree, age is no indicator of maturity and responsibility. experience, yes thats important but lets face it, if you learn on a viper you got it made from there on. repsect the vehicle (no matter what kind), use common sense, follow the laws and take a driving course, youll be fine and youll have fun. also, take the good advice of the viper owners on this site, many if not all of us have learned the hard way with our vipers at least once.

JDR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BUY TWO CARS.

One as a daily driver ...and the Viper for the occational run, when you can focus on staying away from everyone.

Run it fast ONLY on the track.

Realize that EVERYONE will want to race you - be a man and don't. You obviouly can make the money, now you have to prove (to yourself - no one else) you can keep it.

I had a 400HP car when I was 17, and (although was wild a few times) "I" never wrecked it; however it was stolen when I was 27
frown.gif
. I was also hit twice (stopped both times - last guy in line at a red light, and parked on the side of the road).

I love my vipe, but I'm telling you.. you have to AVOID accidents... they look for YOU (I've had admirers almost hit me a few times 'cause they're not watching the road).

Take the motorcycle safety course as a #1 priority. They teach you safer driving through "accident avoidance", after all, you want to keep the car pretty, right?.

Find that local racetrack. Mine has Wednesday night drags for $15 and is just 30 miles away.

INSURANCE - My son will be driving soon, I asked my insurance company (I have a spotless record), and it'll be $5,600 a year to add him. HOWEVER, if he owns a daily drive, and the car's in my name (he ONLY uses it on weekends and "dates", it's just $1,000 a year. Think about it - you could by an OK daily for the insurance savings alone!

Last - In the first month, I lost it FOUR times... just a little to heavy on the gas, and that back end will break loose and come around on you.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by JDR on 10-10-2002 at 05:46 PM</font>

v8huntr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viper is not easy to drive and you should practice on some other rear wheel driven car. i used to own 94 mazda rx7 and they are fun and great car to learn. parts aren't expensive as viper and they are great handling car. rx7 also isn't easy car to drive. if you want a easy car learn then look into 90-96 nissan twin turbo 300zx.

good luck

Foster1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT COLOR="Black">The Viper is not a car for a learner. I'm suprised you can afford it. Start w/ a smaller performance car like an old Camaro.</FONT c>

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go for it but attempt to keep a cool head. Remember if you drive slow all the 16 yr. old hard bodies will see you and know you, go fast and they will not have a clue and then half the enjoyment of a Viper is lost. My son will be 16 next April and the Viper was offered to him but he turned it down for a BMW, go figure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang