What goes wrong with Vipers at 35,000 miles?

neat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My father is looking into a 2000 RT 10 Viper. It's at a dealership, and had 35,000 miles on it. My pops is good friends with the service manager, who says the car was a daily driver in California before it was traded in. Anyway, the car has been at the dealership for a long time, and my dad is considering making an offer. He's competely internet phobic, so I though I'd get on here and ask a couple questions for him:

What typically needs repaired/replaced at this mileage?

The dealership is willing to provide an extended warranty on anything oil touches. Engine components, rear end, trans, etc... The clutch was specifically left out though. Are the clutches prone to failure with aggressive street use?

My family and I was under the impression that a 2000 RT10 would be rated at 450 HP. Is that correct, the dealership is claiming 460? What kind of dyno numbers (dynojet, SAE corrected) could we expect from this car?

I seem to remember reading that the 99 model year had forged pistons, where other years did not. Is that correct, and is there anything year specific to the 2000?

What years had adjustable pedals?

Thanks guys!

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 35K, just have the car checked throughly to see what is near the end of it's life(brakes, clutch, etc.) You are correct on the HP, 450. BUT, if someone has added smooth intake tubes, you will pick up about 10 HP. I've had a few Vipers, and the one thing to find out is if the car has the original clutch. I have replace 3 clutches so far(not hard, just time consuming), and all happened between 35K mile and 38K miles. If you think he will want to add a S/C or NOS, get the 99 car or earlier. :2tu:

carguy07

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't think there are many problems that you would need to look for at that mileage. Look for oil leaks. Others will chime in.

Get the warranty. Viper clutches can last a long time, all depends on what "aggressive" means. If not abused they go 75k or more. Some are gone in a few thousand miles.

A 2000 RT is rated at 450hp.

You would get cast pistons, fine if you do not plan to add boost or nitrous.

97-02 RT & 96-02 GTS had adjustable pedals.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I've got 34,000 miles, and my clutch has just begun starting to squeal under hard acceleration. I don't think I was ******* it, just a few smokey burnouts now and then? Maybe that's something you can expect to replace at some time, but it's not a deal breaker!

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Look for the build date on the car. If the car was made between Sept. to Nov. of 1999 there might be a ring problem with the car. The car will use a quart of oil in 500 to 1500 miles. This is not right and Dodge should of reworked the motor to correct the oil problem. Dealer should be able to tell you if it was corrected. The only problem now is dodge nolonger warrent this problem and you may have to fix it with out dodge's help.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine seems to run better with time. I am at 37K.

35K is nothing..... Some guys here have over 100K and have had little problems. Just have the normal checks performed, and make sure EVERYTHING works in the car (A/C, heat, etc...). I know it sounds obvious... I would also take it for a good 1 hour test drive and make sure everything is AOK. Then have a CERTIFIED Viper tech. look over the car. If the dealer you are purchasing from has one (CERTIFIED Viper tech.), and your dad is REALLY good friends with the service manager, just have them look it over. Otherwise, take it elsewhere to have looked over.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers seem to age like good wine and should be bulletproof. The clutch on a daily driver in CA traffic could be suspect but your guess is as good as mine. The lesser the mods on the car, the greater it's reliability in the long run.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except for the usual wear items nothing should go wrong. It is still just a motor. As long as the fluids are changed on a regular basis it should last just as long as the SUV that is parked in your garage. I would buy the warranty because as all of us can attest to, there is a term in the Viper community called "Viper Tax". That is where an item that will fit on a 87 Dodge Minivan and cost $19.95 will also fit on a Viper and cost $89.95.

OP
OP
N

neat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just talked with pops. He's wondering a couple more things:

Again, what kind of dyno numbers could we expect? SAE corrected, dynojet.

If the engine has a forged crank or rods?

Seems like I read the Viper's use a 1.5 ratio rocker. Is that true?

Why did Dodge move away from the forged pistons, and return to cast? Oil consumption?

The cam was changed from 99 to 2000. What were the before and after specs? What was the reason for the change?

Do Viper's have any EGR/AIR equipment?

He is going to drive the car tomorrow, if all goes well we might be joining the snake crew. This car should give his 91 ZR1 and my Mom's 2001 WS6 something to aspire towards, lol.

Maybe I'll get lucky and get to actually drive it, wish me luck!

Thanks for all the help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21