what hand held gps system will tell you speed?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone know? I saw one and thought it was a cool unit. Anything out there that also tells direction...it can be a intalled unit too...not necessarily a handheld device. any recommendation?

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the untimate electronics store is going out of business here in salt lake city utah, and I bought a cobra navone 3000 and it is awesome, it tells you the speed you are going and it is dead on with my speedo. It also tells you the direction. it retails for 1,000 and I picked one up for $400.00 plus tax. thats a screaming deal

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can check for u, when I bought mine they only had four left. check cobra's website and make sure it is what u are looking for.

Reaction score
I have evaluated the NavOne 3000, and while it is on the big side, it is very nice! Completely plug-n-play, all pre-loaded, and they say they will have flash upgrades for maps soon! I thoroughly enjoyed it, and if you find TWO, venom1, let ME know as well! :)

I also tried out the Garmin M5....more of a PDA with GPS. Nice little unit, came with all the map software that you would download to a SD card. Cool thing is you could download and little, or as much, as you wanted (depending on the size of the SD card). Had a car docking station with DC adapter and speaker.

Good luck finding more of the NavOne 3000....at least ONE for AB!! :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the Garmin Quest. Very nice. It's the size of a cell phone so you can take it anywhere. I can use it in any car I want, my own or rental car. You can buy software to for water charts or off road trails aswell. You get the road software with it and download from a PC, the areas your travaling.
I think it's great. about $500. It tells you your speed, top speed and average. As well as a ton of other things, check it out. I bought mine from www.thegpsstore.com in NC. Ask for Jamie.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any of them will tell speed.
If you want maps, you really need a larger screen than the hand held units have.

I have a Garmen 176C with all the Chesapeake bay charts in it.
It has a fairly good size screen. I use it mostly on my sailboat.
It will give you major roads without any special load.

You can buy a hand held that will give speed and position with waypoints and all the normal things for about $100.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use magellan products. the tattle tale speed costs double the regular model and is a nice feature to have. also some models have smaller visual readouts on your speed which can be an issue when you are in a boat on rough water, so choose wisely. good luck

venom1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got back from ultimate electronics and the picking's are really slim. There are five stores going out of business here in salt lake city, and 2 of them are allready closed for good. There is one in Provo utah, and Odgen utah,and luckily I have some work to do there tomorrow in provo and will stop by the ogden store as well. I will drop by first thing in the morning. and if there are any navone 3000 left. I will pick 4 units up, if they have that many. I actually want another one to give to my dad for fathers day. for the price you cant go wrong. and if any one else wants to buy the other 3 for 400 plus tax plus shipping of course. I will be more than happy to send to you C.O.D. No im not making any Money I will also send you the receipt, just willing to help other viper owners. Keep your fingers crossed. On the good side I did buy me a brand new Mitsubishi 60 inch Plasma HDTV for $5500.00 from ultimate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine