What header will make my car not sound like a UPS truck....

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ups trucks are diesels round my house, CI engines sound nothing like SI engines

Ditto! I've never understood the UPS truck comparison. UPS drops packages off a couple of times a week at my house, and their truck sounds nothing like my Viper, or any other Viper I've ever heard for that matter. Has anyone done a youtube video comparison or something along those lines? I'd like to know what the heck people are talking about when they say the Viper sounds like a UPS truck?? :dunno:

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditto! I've never understood the UPS truck comparison. UPS drops packages off a couple of times a week at my house, and their truck sounds nothing like my Viper, or any other Viper I've ever heard for that matter. Has anyone done a youtube video comparison or something along those lines? I'd like to know what the heck people are talking about when they say the Viper sounds like a UPS truck?? :dunno:

i think you hear that mainly from ppl who cant afford one.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, Vipers sound like poo poo compared to just about any V8 and certainly no comparo to a ten cylinder Lambo. The UPS comparison comes from the old days when they ran gas engines.

bmw2nv2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always run the Corsa Track & have found the sound to be a bit more Nascar sounding with out the drone.

The first time out I had 2 different people tell me my car sounds just like a Nascar too. I think that is the perfect sound description of the long tube and catless corsa track setup:2tu: The way this setup screams at 5k rpms people around will swear you are turning 10k rpms yeah it sounds that wicked.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's Belanger Headers with the Corsa Exhaust. I also have a Roe S/C. Sounds mean and loud......:headbang:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHEdUqmn6dg[/media]

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's Belanger Headers with the Corsa Exhaust. I also have a Roe S/C. Sounds mean and loud......:headbang:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHEdUqmn6dg[/media]

Not really the same, apples to oranges. The Gen II will always sound the best with the rear exit! :2tu:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The deapest sound will come from a set of mild steel headers vs stainless. Our M&M Performance headers along with the Belanger are Steel. We also produce a side exhaust that has a very nice deep tone but it is not as loud as the Corsa...

There are a lot of good systems out there that make good power. The sound is all a personal choice on which one is best. I like the deeper tone myself.

Matt

FastestBusaAround

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a Corsa track exhaust with RT High flow cats. Stock headers. The UPS truck sound drives me nuts....
Trade it in for a Z06 with a modded factory exhaust. That will solve your issue. My Viper sounds like my 2500 Duramax. My Z sounds like a real American muscle car.:rolaugh:

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I am biased as I've been told I have the best sounding Gen2 in the club. And ummmm, oh yeah, I have a full Belanger setup as well.
:headbang::2tu::cool::D

Hey, hey, hey!!! What about mine ;).

:D Just kidding...Detlef's full Belanger system is an absolute beast. Mine is slightly...let's say...subdued compared to his.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its not the headers, a V10 will never sound anywhere near as a good as a V8. get used to it
. . . certainly no comparo to a ten cylinder Lambo.
I disagree. It's the headers. I know it is a Gen II with rear exhaust, but here is a 0-60 run in my car with Balenger headers, stock cats modified to have 3" inlet and outlets, and two straight through mufflers on each side. Sounds pretty Lambo-ish to me.

http://members.cox.net/rmdsm/0-60%20Video%20Edited%20WMV.wmv

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im putting these on, with 3" pipe / muffler side pipe, hope it sounds better

Looks like your going with the ACR-X headers, do you have a Gen IV?

Totally changed the sound of my car for the better (and less drone in my Coupe), I'll try to post up a sound link later.

Cheers,
George

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly why anything before 2003 does not offer the OP any info to go on.

WRONG. all the gens (1,2,3) have a V10. all V10's have the same problem with the firing order making it sound like a ups truck. you can help the sound by installing headers, cat back etc....but the core problem is still there

V8 sound > V10

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WRONG. all the gens (1,2,3) have a V10. all V10's have the same problem with the firing order making it sound like a ups truck. you can help the sound by installing headers, cat back etc....but the core problem is still there

V8 sound > V10

This......^^^;)

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The UPS truck sound comparison came from the original Gen1 Sidepipe Viper with a stock exhaust(similar setup as a Gen3)
Side vs Rear exit does change the sound. also the diff generstions of the V10 with diff stock cams sound very diff.
for example there is a huge diff between a bolton96-99 Viper and ANY other viper(especially sidepipe ones). The 96-99(708cars) with boltons take the cake.

Plum is contradicting himself by saying
all V10's have the same problem with the firing order making it sound like a ups truck. you can help the sound by installing headers, cat back etc....but the core problem is still there

Headers & full exhaust INTENSIFY the offbeat firing order "Lumpyness" of the V10 which is a Good thing. When i pull up to car meets it is a common question: That Thing Got a Cam in her??? Sounds Wicked!!!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have a set of Bad Boyzz garage headers hooked up to my stock exhaust on an 08 ACR. Contrary to what some may think, I figure if everyone else at the track asks me what I have done to make the car sound so mean , and this is from Mustang , Porsche, Vette owners, the variable valve timing V10 must be singing an awfully purty song!!!:2tu:

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Saying the V10 "sounds bad" is like saying Guinness "tastes bad."

Sure, it's not as tasty (or popular) as a crisp, refreshing Coca Cola...but for those who appreciate Guinness, it's definitely just as sweet.

Think of it as an acquired taste. You've yet to acquire it. :2tu:

V10 PWRD

Viper Owner
Reaction score
its not the headers, a V10 will never sound anywhere near as a good as a V8. get used to it

What Plum said. I don't care what you do....the V10 sound will always sound different than the old throaty sounds we're all used to with a hopped up V8. :sorry2:

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got the M&M's and the MOPAR racing exhaust on my 06 coupe. It sounds pretty good actually. My SRT10 Ram with long tubes and catless header back sounds really mean.

I do think that tube length makes a difference, but the mild steel headers like M&M make for a nicer sound.

--FQB

Herc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rick,

I've run your exact set-up on the G2 - G3 Vipers over the years and can explain your drone issue. It's the Magnaflow Mufflers that are used for that particular header system package. Sounds good but alot of guyz switch up to corsa for the drone issues & the Corsa definetly does not rob power, but in fact makes power.

I always run the Corsa Track & have found the sound to be a bit more Nascar sounding with out the drone. You will definetly feel the car beat you up after a long trip, but without the drone headache. On the G4's we only have run our ACRX =BAD BOYZZ SERIES= headers with Stock Muffler & Corsa Track with excellent results on performance & sound quality.

Please know that I am not criticizing your Belanger System because I have been there many times over, I am only explaining the cause of your drone from our experience.

Personally I run my Viper " Nasty Sounding " like the Original GTS-R Factory Race Cars. :usa:

Toddy

I have had both the Corsa 3 in with RT cats and the 2.5 in with stock cats and paxton,
they both droned, the 3 in was almost unbearable even with Vortex cones then CCI
inserts, the 2.5 sounded better with less drone.

Now I have a 09 Gen 4 with stock cats and NO muffler, just straight pipe from the cat
back and it is the best sounding of the 3, quite at cruise with no drone, you can talk
to the person next to without yelling. Might not work on a Gen 3 because of the sound
diff with the VVT. Nice and aggressive when you get on it.

Still thinking about your headers though.

Herc

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both the Corsa 3 in with RT cats and the 2.5 in with stock cats and paxton,
they both droned, the 3 in was almost unbearable even with Vortex cones then CCI
inserts, the 2.5 sounded better with less drone.

Now I have a 09 Gen 4 with stock cats and NO muffler, just straight pipe from the cat
back and it is the best sounding of the 3, quite at cruise with no drone, you can talk
to the person next to without yelling. Might not work on a Gen 3 because of the sound
diff with the VVT. Nice and aggressive when you get on it.

Still thinking about your headers though.
Herc

Herc,

It's X-Mas so the real question is have you been naughty or nice? I'll leave that one up to you and the Little Mrs. We got you covered on the ACRX upgrade for sure!

All in good fun :usa:
Toddy

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score

V8 sound > V10

Yep Plum, absolutely correct. Hence the well known phrase "nothing sounds better than an American V8"
well then again what about a Italian V12.lol

I investigated various exhaust sound configurations... found out what i liked best and use, is American Racing headers 1 3/4" to 3", cat delete and stock mufflers no crossovers.

I just loved my prior paxton and now the high compression all motor V10 sound is great. especially at full throttle and with the tuned in deceleration popping.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery