What if the '06 SRTC ultimately isn't that rare???

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What if the \'06 SRTC ultimately isn\'t that rare???

The theory that "06 SRTC's will be rare" necessarily requires that DC go straight to Gen 4 for '08. However, the current thought seems to be that '08 will be Gen 3.5 with engine upgrades (probably just enough to beat Z06), and minimal changes to front and rear fascia. That means DC will continue to use current tooling and '08 coupes and roadsters would likely be built right away.

So, the rarity of '06 SRTC's will actually become a negative because the only thing making them rare is the lack of increased performance and minor body updates.

Now, if they go straight to Gen 4 with a whole new platform and re-design, that would be a different story.

Of course, this is JMHO but it's something I've been weighing while shopping for my own SRTC during the past couple of months. I ultimately decided to wait for the VOI9 announcement (assuming there is one) before taking the leap for precisely the foregoing reason.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What if the \'06 SRTC ultimately isn\'t that rare???

Apparently your confusing Rare with valuable. They will stil be RARE, if body and motor changes are made to subsiquent versions:

rare:

Infrequently occurring; uncommon: a rare event

There will be so few made, they will be rare, thats all I have said. Valuable.. thats another story.. and I wouldnt invest in a car even if I had millions to burn. New Cars are for fun, not investments..

Jon

fastfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would still love my new coupe even if it wasn't rare.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ever since the first Viper people have been tempted to "wait for the next version". Vipers are in a continous improvement mode, and you will need to wait forever if you need the next generation.

The best time to buy a Viper is when you want to drive a great handling American ultimate sports car.

Reading these forums there is no "right" time to buy a Viper.
No reason to buy the currently model, when a better one is right around the corner.
Don't buy the first year model as it will have teething pains.
Don't buy a convertible because the Coupe is just around the corner.
Don't buy a Coupe because the Convertible is just around the corner.
Don't buy the last year because the next year will have more HP.
Why buy the latest model when you can just put on a supercharger and make it even faster.

The reasons not to buy are endless. No one has a crystal ball to see how resale values will effect the total costs of ownership.

My reasons to buy a Viper today.
Maybe no affordable gas in the future. Enjoy it why we can.
Legislation may restrict performance like it has in Europe. (Most cars have limiters)
Insurance may crack down on performance cars again.
Sound restrictions may reduce the auditory pleasures.
War may break out, and restrict travel severly.
Disease outbreak may restrict travel.
Personal injury or medical issue may make driving an engaging vehicle impossible.
Interest rates may spike, and reduce affordability.
DC may choose not to produce any more Vipers and instead make more crossovers.
I just drove an 95 RT/10, and it was just as much fun as my SRT.

All in all we are blessed to live in a time in the continuium where driving a Viper is available to a select few. Don't blow the chance to grab for the brass ring when it comes around.

Life is short. So many Vipers...So few VOI's

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

my 06 coupe is RARE in my eyes!!! lol :smirk:

OP
OP
S

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The point may not have been as clear as I intended. I apologize.

I agree that the car will be rare even if minor changes are made. However, the desireability (and indirectly, how valuable it one day becomes) will not be good if '08 is only Gen 3.5.

I also agree that you should buy what you want when you want it because waiting around for "the next best thing" means you'll always be waiting.

So, the original point is simply that, if '08 is only Gen 3.5, nobody should be expecting their '06 SRTC to become a collector car sometime down the road. For all we know, '06, '08, and '09 coupes may be substantially similar looking vehicles.

For the record, I still want an '06 SRTC and, with 99% certainty, will have one within the next 6 weeks or so. I don't care about the resale that much but others buying the car for some future appreciation potential may.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

Quote:

Legislation may restrict performance like it has in Europe. (Most cars have limiters)
Personal injury or medical issue may make driving an engaging vehicle impossible.

All in all we are blessed to live in a time in the continuium where driving a Viper is available to a select few. Don't blow the chance to grab for the brass ring when it comes around.

I have to raise my glass to that one Paul...Cheers

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quote:

I have to raise my glass to that one Paul...Cheers

agreed

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Carpe Viperum!

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Waiting for the next gen to come out if you can afford one today is possibly 2 years more of being Viperless. I have had some priceless moments in the Viper that could not be repeated today. I also know that each generation Viper is plenty fast for the street and awesome in their own way. There is no such thing as an uncool Viper.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Waiting to buy the next Gen Viper is to assume the other arn't enough for you.
Any Viper will thrill you till the end of days. IMO

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I agree that the car will be rare even if minor changes are made. However, the desireability (and indirectly, how valuable it one day becomes) will not be good if '08 is only Gen 3.5.
So, the original point is simply that, if '08 is only Gen 3.5, nobody should be expecting their '06 SRTC to become a collector car sometime down the road. For all we know, '06, '08, and '09 coupes may be substantially similar looking vehicles.

I think your buying a Viper for the wrong reason.

OP
OP
S

Scott_in_FL

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Nope, absolutely not. I am a car guy through and through. I know the intimacies and racing lines of most tracks in the Southeastern U.S. from tons of first hand experience. We can talk someday about the importance of the Goodyear sign at Road A, the transitions off the banking at Homestead, the scoring tower at Barber, you name it. If you've raced those tracks, you know what I mean.

I have dreamed of owning a Viper ever since the original RT/10 came out in '92. When the GTS came out in '96, I did all that I could to locate dealers with a car just so that I could sit in one. Now that I can afford one, it's on. I'm buying because I don't care if it is ever a collector car (although that would be nice). I'm buying because it's the fulfillment of young boy's unyielding daydreams. I spend most nights now combing the 'net for pictures of coupes because I can't decide whether I want Red or Blue w/ stripes. No, I am certain I am buying for the right reasons.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nope, absolutely not. I am a car guy through and through. I know the intimacies and racing lines of most tracks in the Southeastern U.S. from tons of first hand experience. We can talk someday about the importance of the Goodyear sign at Road A, the transitions off the banking at Homestead, the scoring tower at Barber, you name it. If you've raced those tracks, you know what I mean.

I have dreamed of owning a Viper ever since the original RT/10 came out in '92. When the GTS came out in '96, I did all that I could to locate dealers with a car just so that I could sit in one. Now that I can afford one, it's on. I'm buying because I don't care if it is ever a collector car (although that would be nice). I'm buying because it's the fulfillment of young boy's unyielding daydreams. I spend most nights now combing the 'net for pictures of coupes because I can't decide whether I want Red or Blue w/ stripes. No, I am certain I am buying for the right reasons.

Are you buying it to track it, or just use as daily driver? It hurts to take these beautiful, low production cars on the track and chip them up.
I wouldn’t spend the extra $ on a collectable car and then take it to the track. JMOA

2005 Silver SRT/10
2000 Steel Gray GTS (sold)

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Waiting can pay off-

After buying my first Viper I have learned a few things- one thing for sure, waiting in some cases can pay off.

My observation - After a few years of the model run, you can save huge on the Viper by buying late.

-My new '05 is almost 20K cheaper only 1 year later for the same NEW car. I have seen this several times now.

-Prettier/lighter wheel options are avail if wait (ex. long spoke Sidewinders)
-Stripes are avail if you wait. I would have LOVED stripes.

I will buy the next gen Viper, but I will wait a year or three...