What is considered flash and what is bleeding?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will be changing my calipers (to a different color powder coated ones) and certainly when I will be doing it I am sure the air will get in the system and I will need to do something about it. I was thinking since I will be bleeding brakes out of the air it would be good idea to change the fluid with the ATE Super blue. So if I simply pushing old brake fluid through the system by bleeding brakes one corner at the time (starting with the farther one) until I see blue ATE coming out does that consider full flush or simply "extensive" bleeding? Do I still need to do the DRB III if I bleed brakes like that with the totally new brake fluid? What will happen if I stop at the above noted procedure, by simply bleeding brakes until new fluid is coming out and not do the DRB III?

Reaction score
It will work but you will contaminate the new fluid when the ABS is used. Not a huge deal but if there is air present in the ABS now it will be in your lines.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It will work but you will contaminate the new fluid when the ABS is used. Not a huge deal but if there is air present in the ABS now it will be in your lines.

Ooook, now it is crystal clear to me :). In case I will decide to do the DRB III I assume it can only be done at the dealer? Would the process of getting DRB III done is to go to the dealer first get the ABS flushed with the new fluid and than do the brake bleeding/flushing?

Thank you!

Reaction score
It would be easier to do it all at once since they would be introducing the new fluid to get it to the ABS. Some individuals have DRB's since they can be purchased but are pricey. Once you get the ABS flushed though you will be good if you are bleeding the brakes regularly so there is not a big pocket of bad fluid.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why not just do the bleed, and go out for a test drive where you stand on the brakes from 70 mph a few times, and then do the bleed again? Seems like a poor-mans DRB III and much more fun :)

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Why not just do the bleed, and go out for a test drive where you stand on the brakes from 70 mph a few times, and then do the bleed again? Seems like a poor-mans DRB III and much more fun :)

Actually I did that a few years back in my C5, I did it on a day that it rained so the abs would turn on easier. Seemed to work

Phoenix SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Seems logical. I wonder if it works. Any Viper techs out there have any insight on this?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
YLW DRM2, it seems that your service manual has not yet arrived. I will be happy to send you a few pages from the ''brakes'' section if it will help you get startrd. A brief review of your posts leads me to surmise that you have a 2005 SRT-10. If this appeals, e-mail your fax number to me...address is in profile.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YLW DRM2, it seems that your service manual has not yet arrived. I will be happy to send you a few pages from the ''brakes'' section if it will help you get startrd. A brief review of your posts leads me to surmise that you have a 2005 SRT-10. If this appeals, e-mail your fax number to me...address is in profile.
Thank you Steve, how did you know I ordered service manual :dunno:? Can you read minds :omg:? I bought manual off of ebay, but it is still in the mail :(. Yes you right I have 2005 SRT10 fax number is (650) 367-8531.

Thanks.