what is current rec for oil/filter for 96 gts?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SEARCH FEATURE
Almost every question you can think of has already been asked and answered! In some cases, the information may be out of date and a new thread will be needed, but in many cases, an answer to your question may be under 10 seconds away!

The VCA Web Forums has a search feature very similar to web search engines like Google. By typing in a few words, it will search all old posts since the website was created to find words matching what you typed in. Be mindful though, the more words you type the fewer results you will get as it will try to find posts only with all of the words you types. In saying that as well, by using words like “The” and “It” you will get hundreds if not thousands of threads. I might suggest sticking to main words. Also try to avoid year specific searches. It will block out a lot of good info. For example:

“What is the best exhaust system for my 2006”

It might be better as:

“best exhaust”

To do a search, click on Search located in the center of the Directional Information Toolbar. If you are wanting a quick overall search, just type in the words in the search box. For this example, we will go with an Advanced Search as you can further clarify your search parameters.

Once you have clicked on Search, click Advanced Search located under the Quick Search field.

Type in the key words you want to search for. Once you have typed in your key words, click on the drop down arrow on the Search All Open Forums tab located on the lower right side of the Search page if you would like to clarify your search. Choose a specific forums you would like the question searched under. In some cases this is not needed but if you are wanting the best exhaust for your 2008, you will not want the threads from the 1992 cars. This feature helps to cut down on the amount of non-applicable information that will be presented to you. Do remember though, by selecting the one section you are narrowing down the number of places the search will look. If there was a thread in the Racing section, and you only selected the SRT section, you will not see that information. This menu can be useful if used correctly.

Once complete, click Search and see your answers! Feel free to play, there is no limit to the amount of searches you can do!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, the Search Police are out in force! :2tu:

I nominate Plum to be the police chief. We need to keep these forums current and stop rehashing :bdh:

OP
OP
E

Edward 96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
costco has a sale on mobile one now. can get either 5/30 or 10/30. is there really any difference between the two for a calif environment car?
thanks
ed

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40

Oil filter is Mopar 1-05037836AA

Search feature will back up my recommendation as THE oil and filter to use for all gen two and newer Vipers.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 0w40 fully synthetic on my 92 rt/10

and filter number 5037836AA this is the better filter for 92 through 2006 I remember.
It says "Viper" on the outside, one more reason for buying it.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Go with Roy , and use the 0-40W Mobil 1. The new filter , done a few years back, designed specifically for the Viper is the way to go. Better durability, filtering, etc. for the loads aggressive driving can cause with our high performance beast.

You have a PM

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
moblie 1 15-40 diesel with the mopar filter. switched from 10-30w mobile 1.

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
im soooo confused as to what weight to use, I'm just going to buy a bunch of different weight oil a mix them together :lmao:

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you had used the search feature, one of the discussions you would have found was pre-filling the filter with oil vs. those who don't.....wanna chime in with your preference? (I'm a pre-filler myself)

Regards,
Aaron

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should start a new thread with the same question, I've been laughing for 5 minutes at the replies. I use Advance auto parts myself for up to date Viper technical info. :2tu: Glad I never asked about extended warranties and used the search feature first. :rolaugh:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And now that I deleted all the insults...let's keep this on topic please.

Well, aren't you a party pooper........:D

Some Vipers 8.5, some Vipers 10. Put 8.5 in, run the car for a few seconds to fill the filiter then check the stick and add as needed.

Typically the 1996-1999 cars fill with 8.5, and due to an oil pan redesign, the 2000-2002 get 10 quarts. :2tu:

99VPRGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sigh, forgot we can't go past "G" rated stuff on here. :lmao: What if we deleted all the repeat threads that people make because they refuse to do a search? :D