What is it worth?

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am looking at a 2006 solid blue coupe. It has 5016 miles, and a bit of aftermarket work done. I know most of the time you only get pennies on the dollar for aftermarket stuff.

It has a Paxton with 10lbs pullies, headers, ported heads, roller rockers, blower cam, forged bottom end, light weight flywheel, aftermarket clutch, roller rockers, and few other misc items. The car is immaculate inside and out. It came in on trade for a new corvette and had a tick. They sent it to a performance shop and found a rocker had backed off. Then noticed a few lifters were soft and are replacing and getting ready to tune next week. I am guessing 750 rwhp?

Thanks for your opinions in advance.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Sucker trade in.
2. Bit of mods are AMAZING!
3. You already know it's got a spot in your garage.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
could b a time bomb---- if the rockers backed off like that its has the holy toledo run out of it---make room in the sale for a ut-o..... the dealer stole that car---- so get a buy on it--

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 FE coupe (GTS Blue/white stripes) with Polished Paxton, RaceLogic Traction Control, DC PCM Flash, High capacity intercooler, DC high flow intercooler pump, Kenwood Echelon pop out DVD with sub, K40 laser diffuser, chrome wheels, Eurotech front lip, 08 hood, built motor (7000 miles on motor) with forged internals by Arrow Racing (Mopar/Carillo I-beam rods good to 1200 HP and Diamond Pistons), 25,000 miles or so, swinging oil pickup, MGW shifter, MGW shorty shifter knob, chrome molly push rods, ATI damper, catch can, and PLX multi gauge with OBD connection. I'd sell it for around $58,000.

Chuck Tator is doing a complete once over on the car now, including new rings (I'm a perfectionist), rebuilt supercharger by Doug Levin, calibrated and cleaned injectors, new fluids all around, resprayed front fascia to fix scratches on bottom, etc.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2006 FE coupe (GTS Blue/white stripes) with Polished Paxton, RaceLogic Traction Control, DC PCM Flash, High capacity intercooler, DC high flow intercooler pump, Kenwood Echelon pop out DVD with sub, K40 laser diffuser, chrome wheels, Eurotech front lip, 08 hood, built motor (7000 miles on motor) with forged internals by Arrow Racing (Mopar/Carillo I-beam rods good to 1200 HP and Diamond Pistons), 25,000 miles or so, swinging oil pickup, MGW shifter, MGW shorty shifter knob, chrome molly push rods, ATI damper, catch can, and PLX multi gauge with OBD connection. I'd sell it for around $58,000.

Chuck Tator is doing a complete once over on the car now, including new rings (I'm a perfectionist), rebuilt supercharger by Doug Levin, calibrated and cleaned injectors, new fluids all around, resprayed front fascia to fix scratches on bottom, etc.

good gaud!! monster

OP
OP
R

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
could b a time bomb---- if the rockers backed off like that its has the holy toledo run out of it---make room in the sale for a ut-o..... the dealer stole that car---- so get a buy on it--

Have considered that. Rare instance that a shop local to the dealer is doing a once over of everything but the bottom end. No gaurantees with hi performance stuff but atleast I have the best possible idea right before a purchase as I can. The shop is doing about $4500 in tuning, replacements, and repairs. I am at 53500 right now.

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All those mods would scare a lot of buyers away, period. Add a few bucks and buy an 08 with some warranty left. Good luck.

Bill

OP
OP
R

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

We all have different tastes in cars but how would you compare the 08 to the modded 06? It would seem that the 06 would be so much more fun. Also, how do you like the traction control? Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would personally never buy a supercharged car..But thats me after a lil experience..I supercharged my camaro and after a year the engine went..I was too ******* her for sure..

A few years ago i bought an nsx that was already supercharged..After just 1000 miles of ownership the engine threw a bearing/rod and had to be replaced. of course all at my expense..

12K later and i now have a stock engined nsx..but atleaste it runs now...

I will personally never buy anyone elses supercharged car again unless I actually know the guy and have good documentation that the car has went the distance..A few guys here I would maybe..Like Ted for example..And the other guys on here that really love their vipers and post regurly..

But somthing like you are desribeing you should just stay away from...their is more to it than meets the eye..

You dont spend 30K in modifying a 2006 coupe to just trade in on a corvette unless you are willing to do what ever it takes to get from under that viper because you know the money to fix it will break your bank..roller rockers ect. are the first things anyone would look for...

usurbrain

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I bought a paxton supercharged car, and had it thoroughly checked out before purchasing it. There has been no issues with it, however, in 3 months, I have only put less than 300 miles on it... all at less than 9mpg though... :)

OP
OP
R

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would personally never buy a supercharged car..But thats me after a lil experience..I supercharged my camaro and after a year the engine went..I was too ******* her for sure..

A few years ago i bought an nsx that was already supercharged..After just 1000 miles of ownership the engine threw a bearing/rod and had to be replaced. of course all at my expense..

12K later and i now have a stock engined nsx..but atleaste it runs now...

I will personally never buy anyone elses supercharged car again unless I actually know the guy and have good documentation that the car has went the distance..A few guys here I would maybe..Like Ted for example..And the other guys on here that really love their vipers and post regurly..

But somthing like you are desribeing you should just stay away from...their is more to it than meets the eye..

You dont spend 30K in modifying a 2006 coupe to just trade in on a corvette unless you are willing to do what ever it takes to get from under that viper because you know the money to fix it will break your bank..roller rockers ect. are the first things anyone would look for...

Good points Twister. I have been lucky enough to have the opposite experiences. This car is having another $4500 spent to make it right. I can see someone getting to a point where they feel enough is enough and cut their losses. The guy was 62, (not saying that means a lot) but makes me feel a little better. It had a slightly blown head gasket, the driveablity tuning was horrible, and lifters were not good. The shop is putting new MLS head gaskets, new lifters, and re-tuning and dynoing the car this next week. The shop owner owner told me the dealer is having a cow over the bill but wants the car to be right when it leaves his shop. We shall see.

Asp Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good points Twister. I have been lucky enough to have the opposite experiences. This car is having another $4500 spent to make it right. I can see someone getting to a point where they feel enough is enough and cut their losses. The guy was 62, (not saying that means a lot) but makes me feel a little better. It had a slightly blown head gasket, the driveablity tuning was horrible, and lifters were not good. The shop is putting new MLS head gaskets, new lifters, and re-tuning and dynoing the car this next week. The shop owner owner told me the dealer is having a cow over the bill but wants the car to be right when it leaves his shop. We shall see.

Slightly blown head gasket, is that like being a little pregnant?:rolleyes: Sounds like the thing has issues, and who knows what this shop will miss/mess up while they're in there. The car has obviously been abused and not well maintained.
I'd respectfully suggest that you walk.
There are lots of fish in the sea. The "story" about the trade (vette, old guy) in is dubious at best, likely just the dealer blowing smoke up your a...
As advised above, take your hard earned money and find a nice car, preferably one with known history and/or VCA member owned.

OP
OP
R

redlineviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Once again good post. Thank you.

Here is my perspective that may be off the mark, (wouldn't be the first time). If I were to find a clean stock 06 coupe with 5k miles and picked it up for 43k it would be a steal. Then assuming this car has modifications I would want anyway then I can figure about 8k for supercharger, 2k for headers, 2k for head work, 2k for clutch and flywheel, 5k for forged bottom end, 1k for roller rockers and cam, etc etc. The numbers I just put up are crazy low unrealistic numbers of what it would cost me to have installed just to make a point.

With the whole top end getting a check up and pistons look perfect could I still be missing something that would make this a possible bad decision?

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya You should buy post no #4 car. I would gladly speng some extra cash on a car that was maintained like his. And if Chuck Tator is giving it a go over, you know you have a great car.
Good Luck either way you go. Just remember,that car was on that lot for more reasons then there telling you, and dont let the age of 62 fool you, they know how to mash the pedal like everyone else.
Would you dump 30K into a 5K mile car and then trade it in?:omg:

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We all have different tastes in cars but how would you compare the 08 to the modded 06? It would seem that the 06 would be so much more fun. Also, how do you like the traction control? Thanks for your input.

I was talked into the traction control but don't really ever use it. Just not my driving style to need it. It was expensive though, over $2000. I guess it would be useful in the rain.

As you can see from my Avatar I have a Gen 4 and my supercharged Gen 3. The Gen 3 is faster as it puts down 646 RWHP and it doesn't have the rather touchy drive by wire. Both cars now run on non runflat PS2s so the tires are the same. However, the supercharger in the 06 can heat soak when driven hard even with the bigger intercooler/exchanger and high flow pump. When it does power drops off. My Gen 3 also doesn't have the aero or suspension work that a new ACR would have. Plus I always like new toys in new colors so maybe an ACR is in my future.