What is the best years/models for Viper rarity??

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but I plan on getting a Viper in the next 3 years, and I wanted to start doing my research on which Viper year/model will be a true collectors edition that can stand the test of time. I wanted to have an exotic fast toy that will be a show queen. Thanks.

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone will have their own opinions, so here's mine. A '96/'97 GTS in Blue/White is going to be desirable 'forever'. You might also search out a '92 RT/10 - they are desirable because of the 'first year' status, but a good one at a good price is hard to find. If you're a gambler, you could look at the 2010 'final edition' models - maybe they'll be collectible, maybe not. I personally didn't like the looks of any of the Gen III cars, and only got a Gen IV ACR because I could get it in the colors that I really wanted - but I don't expect it to be collectible. It's just fun as heck to drive.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
To start with, I'll present a quote from JonB:
"For $25 you can buy a "VIPER BUYER'S GUIDE" that explains all the differences, the build counts, and the collectibility issues.

Avail at NorCal VCA or PartsRack.com

OP
OP
B

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve and Martin. i will probably get that book; however, I would love to hear first had from Viper owners. I know that this is the best Viper enthusiast forum, and am curious to hear from ppl that actually attend meets and shows.

I agree in that I don't think i would get a genIII Viper. I LOVE the Gen IV Viper, and think that it would look mean and powerful for a lifetime.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but I plan on getting a Viper in the next 3 years, and I wanted to start doing my research on which Viper year/model will be a true collectors edition that can stand the test of time. I wanted to have an exotic fast toy that will be a show queen. .........I agree in that I don't think i would get a genIII Viper. I LOVE the Gen IV Viper, and think that it would look mean and powerful for a lifetime..............Thanks.

Your requirements are that it PROBABLY be a Gen-4, exotic fast and showy.
And yet a 'true collectors edition that can stand the test of time.'

With these parameters, the answer is simple: 2010 ACR in a low-vol color.
This will be the lowest volume model year since the first year '92.

Last edited:

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. An 07 would be super raw and probably impossible to find.

But really and personally 00 gray or 01 yellow.
There were more 96-97 bw then most think.

Roy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the 89 proto should be quite rare...and of course my 92 RT/10, especially while it's in the Netherlands:)

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This may be a weird question, but I plan on getting a Viper in the next 3 years, and I wanted to start doing my research on which Viper year/model will be a true collectors edition that can stand the test of time. I wanted to have an exotic fast toy that will be a show queen. Thanks.

The 2005 Commemorative Editions (100 made) will be your best choice. You can buy mine now because you'll easily spend over $100k for one in three years. :rolleyes:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The 2005 Commemorative Editions (100 made) will be your best choice. You can buy mine now because you'll easily spend over $100k for one in three years. :rolleyes:

Definitely a sleeper of a collector, but he does not want GEN 3.
nice car.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1997 RT/10 was pretty rare with only 117 being made.

Even rarer was the red with gold wheels, not ketchup and mustard, there were only 7 made, I almost got my hands on one but wasn't quick enough :mad:

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If collecting is your primary concern, keep in mind that rarity does not guarantee desirability. Some rare cars/colors are unique, but not very desirable. You need rarity and desirability to have a true collector car.

OP
OP
B

bigdeep1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your requirements are that it PROBABLY be a Gen-4, exotic fast and showy.
And yet a 'true collectors edition that can stand the test of time.'

With these parameters, the answer is simple: 2010 ACR in a low-vol color.
This will be the lowest volume model year since the first year '92.

Well said JonB! That is basically what I am looking for....exotic, fast and showy. I will have to keep the 2010 ACR in the ranks. Any suggestions with the "low-vol color"...escpecially keeping in mind what "Nine Ball" said in remembering to have the DESIRABLE factor as well as rare.

Sneaky Pete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Charcoal, black, & red 2010 ACR if you must have a 4th gen, at least that's what I'd be looking for. I'd skip gen III all together.

Other than that, a B&W gen II GTS is a very safe bet... It always has been a highly desirable color/body style, and always will. Most people think the GTS was the pentacle of Viper styling, and the B&W color combo is really the most desirable color. 1996 was also the first year of this body/color, so a 1996 B&W GTS is a very safe bet, despite the production numbers.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2009 and 2010 cars seem to be pretty rare with less than 700 units in 09 and under 500 in 10. In 09 41% of the cars were 1 of 1. With even less being built in 2010 your chances of a 1 of 1 rare car in limited production goes up. A GEN IV ACR should always hold it's value.

Bruce

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1) GT2. Not a question. :2tu:

But either the miles are "0" (not good if you want to drive the car after 12 years sitting in the garage) or the price is way too high... good luck finding a nice 1998 GT2. :drive:

2) Otherwise. A 2002 FE GTS. :D :D :D

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I think that many good points have been made here...especially by JonB(surprise, surprise !!!).

However,bigdeep1, you stated your plan as "I plan on getting a Viper in the next 3 years". SORRY, but you are already late... if you do not act NOW, all of the other speculator-investor-collectors are/will be well ahead of you!!!

In collecting...be it art, cars, guns, or whatever...the key is to know the product, the market, the history of same, have finances READY(a REAL collector is always broke...but still finds a way)and MOVE immediately as the opportunity presents itself.

SOLUTION: Call Bill Pemberton at Woodhouse NOW and try to lock in one of his already ordered 2010 UNIQUE Vipers.

1-800-889-1893

Happy hunting!!

MarcRoth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Put the money in a 20 year cd the cd will be worth more than the car, Or buy the car and enjoy it. my02 worth

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excuse the noob question....but what is "FE"??

Use the search feature on the site. The best way for a noob to be accepted on any site is to do your homework up front and read posts first and use the tools on here to answer your own questions.

FE Final Edition

Bruce

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To his defense, you can't look up two letter words like "FE" :)

Personally, I think the Gen III looks like the Gen IV enough that I'd rather spend the difference in money to get a supercharger on the Gen III.

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all that has been said the fact is that there are many "rare" variations of Vipers through the years, (any Viper compaired to almost any other make or model of car is relatively "rare" because few were made and few survive),so if you pick what you like best in color, year, etc. you'll come out a winner. Good luck.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Or a limited Gen 2 supercharged GTS/ACR, like mine? Just kidding. The ACRs are worth more. Vipers are famous for fast and ACRs were the American Club Racer versions of the Viper. GTS body only. BBS wheels and full adjustable suspensions. My 00 shocks are worth about $2900 each new. The Gen 2 clamshell hood is worth $28,000.

Unless you want to wait a little longer for a Gen 4 ACR to get "OLD", lol.

Once Vipers stop production the price should go up as they become very limnited production.

Ted