What is the problem with Gen I and II Vipers??

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought about purchasing one, even after having the horrible experience of driving a GTS for 2 months. I thought it would be nice to have one to thrash around when I wasn't driving my Gen III.

I keep reading the horrible reviews about these cars. I read that they are unreliable and have terrible handling characteristics. Of course, they look like kit cars. Many of these cars look like they were put together in someone's garage. Sit one next to a new SRT-10 and no one will ever give it a second look.

The market is killing these cars. You can get one for next to nothing. Just look at e-bay any day of the week. You'll find countless examples languishing away. Just sitting there with no buyers, even though the asking price is about what you'd pay for a used Camry.

I guess that the bad reputation has finally caught up with these cars. Once the world figured out that these cars handled like garbage trucks, the hideous looks could no longer be ignored. And now that it has less power than a Vette, the looks, lack of handling and unreliability really prevent most people from buying one.

The worst thing is the way that the complete lack of quality and the kit car looks have tarnished the "Viper" image. For the first time, Dodge is producing a world class exotic bearing the Viper name. However, the general public still thinks of the earlier examples when they hear Viper. No one will believe that the new car is as good as it is, no matter how great it looks.

Now imagine the response if I had posted this on the Gen I, II forums. Yet owners of Gen I and II cars routinely post this kind of crap on here. I can't imagine doing such a thing because I have a bit of tact and class. Maybe these guys should think before they post. The guys who make posts like that are giving the vast majority of Viper owners a bad name.

Those types of posts have made this forum feel like some ricer boy forum.

For the record, I love the Gen I and II cars. I had access to a GTS for a while. It was a great car. Personally, the SRT-10 screamed out at me. Personally, I thought it was more exotic and "Viperish." You notice I didn't say that it WAS better looking, just that TO ME it is.

I just hope this thread causes some people to think before tactlessly referring to another person's pride and joy as 'ugly', 'plain' or 'milk toast.'

DC

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow your mentality about your car is child-like! Why do you care what others think? Most important thing is that you like it, end of story.
I hear it all the time in relation to my Gen I viper which I would not trade for any generation viper.
I have been reading a lot of posts of some people who dis-like the Gen III vipers (mostly just the looks). I certainly think their opinions matter whether they own one or not since they have been viper owners for a long time.
So don't take it so personally and enjoy your car.

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never said that their opinions didn't matter. And what I said about a lack of tact is displayed when you call my mentality 'child-like.'

I don't enjoy the car any less just because others don't like it.

I do enjoy this forum less because a few Viper owners choose to bash the SRT-10 on the SRT-10 forum. THAT is a rather child-like approach.

I was just making the point that you wouldn't take a post like the one above very well if posted by me in the Gen I/II forum. Your response proves me right.

Dirk

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk:

Your logic is flawed, There is no doubt that the SRT-10 weak point is the styling, the weak point for the GenI and II is the braking system.

I love my GTS but I'm realistic enough to accept the fact that braking is a weak point and that quality of the assembly left a lot to be desired ( way to many shims, various gaps,etc).

Luc.00GTS

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course, they look like kit cars.

Many think GEN3 cars look like Honda S2000 or Camaros or GEN2 cars look like a clown shoe....it's subjective!

Sit one next to a new SRT-10 and no one will ever give it a second look.
again ....subjective. I found the opposite true

Just look at e-bay any day of the week. You'll find countless examples languishing away.

Oh and there are NO GEN3 cars for sale on ebay or other online autosales venues on the web, and that 200 day supply thing is a conspiracy theory! LOL!!!!

My advice, DON'T BUY ONE! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Your OPINION is that the styling is the weak point. "There is no doubt that the SRT-10 weak point is the styling" Wrong. There certainly is doubt. Your opinion is not fact. I prefer the styling of the SRT-10. Many others do as well.

Because you or others prefer the styling of the Gen I/II car does not make it fact. It is opinion and I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

My point was not to argue personal preference, but to point out that the tactless bashing of the SRT-10 is wrong and takes much away from this forum. It is also something that, if the shoe were on the other foot, would not be tolerated nearly as well as it is here.

DC

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know toyota started making $50k Camry's!
I think what you wrote is just a retaliation to the other post about the Srt. The original question was asked because of slow sales and that the plant was being shut down for a few weeks. So what is wrong with the SRT? Why did the price drop so much, an '03 for $59k is possible. A really nice '97 b/w can fetch that much. So what is wrong with the SRT?

OP
OP
D

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damned Viper Joe and PervrtJet- didn't you read the whole post??

I love the Gen I/II cars. Go back and read the whole post.
But, your reaction, again, proves my point.

DC

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk:

Your logic is flawed, There is no doubt that the SRT-10 weak point is the styling, the weak point for the GenI and II is the braking system.

Luc.00GTS

I suppose there is no doubt in your mind that the SRT-10 weak point is styling.

I don't share this point of view, however. I think the SRT-10 is a beautiful car.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Styling is always a subjective matter but you never heard anyone complain about the SRT-10 brakes or performances, the ONLY thing that ALWAYS come back is the styling.

Why? if it's one of the SRT-10 strong point?

Doesn't meam that some peoples don't find it beautiful.
It's like comparing a Jaguar XKE Serie I with the covered headlamp to serie II or even worst,to a Coupe.

I'm sure that some peoples find the Coupe or Serie II beautiful but it remain the the Serie I has a much better styling.

Luc.00GTS

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dirk:

I love my GTS but I'm realistic enough to accept the fact that braking is a weak point and that quality of the assembly left a lot to be desired ( way to many shims, various gaps,etc).

Luc.00GTS

Luc,

You nailed it....

Dirk,

Relax.... I wish my Gen II had your brakes. I'll be happy to swap interiors and seats as well. Wanna trade suspensions? I'm in.... These are facts. The Gen III is one hell-a-va performance car and better than the Gen II in this category (stock vs. stock). But what is also fact is the clamshell hood is freak'in bad asp, and the Gen III lacks it (cost saver). Another fact, the Gen II styling is preferred by most Viper owners, and by a VAST majority of the public. And the Gen II design is 8 years old!!! The Gen II design was one of the baddest MF'ers of all time, especially the coupe. It is timeless..... Sure, the Gen III looks good, but it is not timeless. It does 'resemble' several other cars on the road, and loses points for this.... It's styling is also much tamer, and does not drop jaws. Nice yes, timeless/jawdropping, no.

This being said, would I own a Gen III? H*ll yes, if the price was right. I am really considering one since it seems to be a buyers market right now... But will I try to 'convince' myself it looks as bas-asp as the 1998 Silver/Blue GTS I will have to sell? No. Can I still appreciate the looks and love it for the driving experience? Yep.

P.S. - Remember this. Many of us complain hoping DC will make changes to future exterior designs (ie. Coupe). Don't take it to heart....

PRVT JET

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Damned Viper Joe and PervrtJet- didn't you read the whole post??

I love the Gen I/II cars. Go back and read the whole post.
But, your reaction, again, proves my point.

DC

I did read your post, I Love the SRT, but it would have to be my second viper.
I don't appreciate the comment you made about my screen name, that also proves my point regarding your post. Everyone likes the Srt no matter what they say, because it's a VIPER!

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

ALL Vipers...Team USA! :usa:
You must be registered for see images

venomblue550

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"The market is killing these cars. You can get one for next to nothing. Just look at e-bay any day of the week. You'll find countless examples languishing away. Just sitting there with no buyers, even though the asking price is about what you'd pay for a used Camry."

you got one for sale at that used camry price?? or can you find one rightnow?? i will buy 2...

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL- Dirk, I hear you. People poke fun at the Gen 1 cars all day long..."oh yes I owned one of those for a short time, but I hated the windows, top, etc." N' mine has 50 more horse power that yours do." Give me a freakin' break.

Anyway your ear is tuned to the SRT10's...so hear goes. There great cars, they out perform both of the earlier models. Its has great styling and is a true convertable. From what we have seen in the Competition Coupes and the GTS-R cars the new Coupe should be very exciting. Basically a hardtop version of your SRT10.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Dirks defense, I think he was being sarcastic and exagerating to try and get his point across. I found it kind'a funny.... If only I could get another Gen II that cheap, I'd be like others we know on this board with two!

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It appears that Dirks tongue in cheek sarcasam was missed by many readers. Too bad, he is correct in his assesment and it is proven over and over.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Onerareviper comment on the hood of the SRT-10 compared to the GenI and II, made me realize something:
Cobra
Daytona coupe
Jaguar XKE
Ferrari Daytona
GT 40
Viper I & II
Jaguar XJ6/8
Etc
and most others cars with timeless design seems to have a hood that open from the rear,not from the front.

Any ideas why?

Luc00GTS

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love ALL Vipers! That is why I have had a Gen. 1,2 and 3! And they all rocked, so lets just all get along. But really who cares what some people think as long as we like our car or cars. You can't please all people all of the time. I think the SRT-10 looks as good if not better than my GTS. All of my buddies like the SRT better than my B/W.

SoFlaSRT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Onerareviper comment on the hood of the SRT-10 compared to the GenI and II, made me realize something:
Cobra
Daytona coupe
Jaguar XKE
Ferrari Daytona
GT 40
Viper I & II
Jaguar XJ6/8
Etc
and most others cars with timeless design seems to have a hood that open from the rear,not from the front.

Any ideas why?

Luc00GTS

Probably to keep the hood from flying open if the latch should fail at high speed.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If i had to make a choice between all three generations i would buy a srt-10 hands down. The gen 1 & 2 are stating to look dated. A good friend of mine has a gen 1 with some mods, but he even admits when the gen 2 came out everbody called it wantabe it took several years for the gen 1 guys to admit it is a nice car.

Now here we go with the gen 2 guys raging us about our srt-10. all they can pick on is the style because everthing else is a level above there's.

I had a chance to buy a 97 gts when they came out. But i bought the 996 tt instead. The fit and finish of the gts was terrible, looked like it had some left over k car parts.

Robert

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
YouWish,

Our vette will and can blow your doors off in every aspect.
and whats with the blue engine, you like fords? And maybe before you call a srt-10 a vette look at the old mid eightys vette looks like a gts in a lot of ways.

Robert

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YouWish,

Our vette will and can blow your doors off in every aspect.
and whats with the blue engine, you like fords? And maybe before you call a srt-10 a vette look at the old mid eightys vette looks like a gts in a lot of ways.

Robert
Hey rookie get back to me when you bust your cherry at 100 posts. As in the color of my Viper it's called a custom paint job and was featured in Viper magazine because of the beauty of my Viper now back to school little one. :eek:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dirk:

Luc.00GTS

There is no doubt that the srt is the best opentop viper ever thus far!!!

vd..

oh and I had a gen 2 and was very happy to see it go for a gen3.

SilverSnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You call that a custom paint job thats a joke. You must of paid a pretty penny to get it in the viper mag. And for my post count i just joined vca two months ago. why don't you go back to your gts and rub one out.

Robert

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4