What is with these P.O.S. Water Pumps?!?!?!?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I dont get it... I am at my wits end. I have an '02 built on may 13, 2002. I just replaced my water pump due to leakage out of the weep hole, and my new pump is leaking again, in only 2 freak'n days! was there a bad run of pumps in 2002 or something, what the H3LL is going on here?!??!

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello!? Should'a got an SRT!

Other than the rear ends blowing out, bog in 1-2 shift, dent under the side mirrors, hot interior, valve issue, drivers window slamming against the door pillar, leaking oil pan and oil lines in many and various areas, passenger door hard to shut, engine weaker than we all had hoped for, looks like a friggen S2000 ---- other than that, the SRT has been awesome!!!

Quit your complaining. You made the choice.

Woops, on second thought, forget everything I said after hello.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OH, YEAH...???

Well at least your &*( *&^* water pump doesnt leak!!! (YET!!!)

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must been stuck with pumps from a bad batch. They probably replaced the bad pump with another from the same batch. I'm guessing it was a manufacturing defect or design flaw. Were the pumps made by the same supplier? Can you see any type of date code on them?

If it's a rebuilt or reman'd item that could be the problem as well. I remember going through 7 starters once on my old Challenger!

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan,
you got to be Fiiigggin kidding me!?!
this is nuts!
My waterpump is shot too, when i go in for the new one what date on the part
box... before/after is okay?

i feel your pain! did your car over heat and puke fluid?

after i get back from the trip i will call you to see how it turned out .. good luck my brother...

Question: Is there a upgraded waterpump available from any vendor so we dont have to deal with
this *B*S*?!!

Jim

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I asked someone inside the Viper plant organization about the faulty water pumps today and really didn't get much information. He made it sound like it was an old and very short duration problem. I prodded him more than once, but again his reaction was it was just a 2 week glitch or something like that..

Vipermed 97.01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea 2 week glitch that lasted from 01 to 02.I have already replaced twice on my 01 w/2500 miles.This problem came out of the closet in 01

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like we need to know the run # for the bad pumps...if at all possible...It makes no sense to go thru what Final GTS is going thru....why put another lemon pump in?

Dave

Tommy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont get it... I am at my wits end. I have an '02 built on may 13, 2002. I just replaced my water pump due to leakage out of the weep hole, and my new pump is leaking again, in only 2 freak'n days! was there a bad run of pumps in 2002 or something, what the H3LL is going on here?!??!

It's a domestic. What did you expect?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The same inside the Viper plant source ALSO said only 2 of the original Viper management team are still there. Lots of DC management types are hungry to get into the plant and be part of the 'Viper team', but they're not up to the job. So out they go. One plant manager was a Corvette guy, used to have the detail shop at the Viper plant clean up his car, and THEN he parked it where everyone touring the plant could see it-inside the building! - All this doesn't help with the water pump problem...but it was an added part of that 5 minute conversation.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got back from vacation.. and no chime in from a vendor?
so safe to say there is no upgraded water pump available?
just wanted to ask again before i go forward getting this thing replaced this week.
thanks
Jim

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM- Just make sure there isnt a "102" stamped on the side of the pump... as both my bad ones had that number. the new one, (and so far, so good... going on day 2), is stamped with 302...as well as the number 4 spare pump I have sitting at NorthTown Dodge that I have to exchange for bad pump 2. Also, the bad one came in a white box, both the other ones came in a brown box.

1 Bad Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the upgraded water pump, Bobby Archer in Ft. Worth (817) 877-1772 can rebuild or provide you with an upgrade. I had this done and my car ran about 10 degrees cooler and no weepage. I will also add that it is not a cheap upgrade about $400+ to rebuild and $650 to replace, but these prices were from a couple of years ago.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was told by Archer Racing that the upgraded pump is only useable in an Underdrive System. Since I plan on SuperCharging, a UD system is out of the question.