What % of Vipers have over 10k miles on them?

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think in Calif were going to run out of water before we run out of sunshine. Nov24 72 degree days. Top down crusing the back roads of the Napa and Sonoma Valley's. 18k and having fun.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'01 with 12K miles. Bought it was 6K miles on it in 2006, only put 6K over the last 18 months. Not intentionally keeping the miles low but this work thing keeps getting in the way of me driving the beast.

kwkshift

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 97 GTS just rolled over 46,000 miles. The car is very clean, runs 10's on 91 octane and is actually very reliable. The only problem I have had with it in over 2 years of ownership was the crank position sensor went out. That's all!

Garage Queens are like girls that have their dolls on display and don't play with them.

dragon rider

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont care about how many miles I put on my 03 vert. I bought it with 4k mile in july and have already put an addition 4k on it. This is my dream car, and I don't plan on reselling it any time soon. Unlike many folks who own vipers, I can't afford to swap out cars every year or two. I'll be diving this baby when I'm old and gray. Cars are ment to by driven, so enjoy the beast.

rae661

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on between 5-7K miles a year---More since I upgrade the stereo w/nav and sat. and Ipod inputs---total miles--over 27K--all put on by me and diggin' very one of them....:)

Racer Robbie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this deluded perception is only held by Viper owners.
Nobody else thinks like that.

I could not agree any more. You buy a Viper to drive it. My 2003 has just shy of 30,000 miles on it, all trouble free. I had it out last weekend when it was 38 degrees out and had a blast. I bought it to sit in and drive it, not to sit in it in a garage and make believe. Vipers were never meant to be garage queens. just ask Carrol Shelby!

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DRIVE THE SNOT OUT OF YOUR VIPER! LIKE WINE, THEY GET BETTER, STRONGER, FASTER WITH AGE AND MILES!

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'05 Mamba, 2nd owner, S/C since day 1, I bought it in June '07 with 4040 on the clock, and it now has 5800 and has been put away for the winter. I drive it as much as time permits, and don't intent on not driving just to keep the miles down, but truth be told most of us have other cars/toys to add miles on too.

There's just no way I'm driving it to work b/c of the crappy parking garage, door dings, highway rock chips, etc. While I want to enjoy it, I don't want it to be dented, dinged, broken along the way.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
18,400 miles on a 99 RT/10, averaging 2,000 miles/yr. No plans to increase that anytime soon. I get just about as much joy and satisfaction out of it sitting in the garage in all its beauty as I do driving it around.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an observation, it seems Gen III owners tend to drive the cars a lot more and do not worry about putting miles on them.

I see a lot of Gen I and Gen II owners that socked their cars away in their garage and do not drive them much in hopes that they become collectable. Considering the low production numbers I suspect they will be somewhat collectable at some point, just probably not in my lifetime or at best towards the end of it. Not sure how much miles will come into play but suspect there will be no shortage of low mile examples.

rmani

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an observation, it seems Gen III owners tend to drive the cars a lot more and do not worry about putting miles on them.

I see a lot of Gen I and Gen II owners that socked their cars away in their garage and do not drive them much in hopes that they become collectable. Considering the low production numbers I suspect they will be somewhat collectable at some point, just probably not in my lifetime or at best towards the end of it. Not sure how much miles will come into play but suspect there will be no shortage of low mile examples.

Also seems logical to assume that since the Gen I & IIs are getting cheaper for middle class people they are less afraid to drive the car. One of the reasons I hate buying a new car is because every little imperfection drives me nuts after seeing the car pristine on the lot. Whenever I buy used I am much less upset when little knicks or issues occur since I know the car wasn't absolutely perfect to begin with.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2000 R/T10 with 30K miles, and I put 22K miles on it in myself over the last 5 years.
For about 3 years I drove it to work every day, but that was only a 3 mile round trip.
Despite driving it regularly, I still get excited getting behind the wheel and taking it out on the road, especially with the top off in spring, summer, and fall. :D

PS78

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I see a lot of Gen I and Gen II owners that socked their cars away in their garage and do not drive them much in hopes that they become collectable. Considering the low production numbers I suspect they will be somewhat collectable at some point, just probably not in my lifetime or at best towards the end of it. .

by the time these cars become classic collectables, fuel prices will be unaffordable if they carry on at the present hiking rate. they'll only be collectable by museums, so forget selling a low mileage example for a profit 20 years in the future!

aside from that, the Tiger isn't getting so much more mileage at the moment since the viper arrived... :eek:
65,500 in 42yrs! (restored virtually to brand new @ 59,000 7yrs ago :)

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'04 bought new in Jun '05: 27,300 miles. Approximately 18 months of driving - I will not drive when there is salt or heavy snow on the roads...

I LOVE my Viper and look forward to using up its 7/70 warranty on miles NOT time!

It should hit a high of -3F today in IA...

DreamOn

Viper Owner
Reaction score
'01 with 47,700 miles on it.
I am well aware this is considered VERY high miles for a Viper... BUT I laughed out loud when I went to register and tag the car here is Georgia this month and the girl behind the counter said, "Oh, only 47K miles? That's very low for an '01."
I did not buy 'garage furniture' and I intend to drive it as much as I can! You gotta live life to enjoy life!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but how do we go about changing the publics perception that anything over 10,000 miles on a viper is high mileage.

We all know these cars will go well over 100,000 without any issues and are no different than any other car. I forget who first told me that you do not want to buy a Viper with over 10k on it because anything over 10k is considered high for these cars. If I remember correctly his logic was these cars are driven hard and see a lot of track use which is ******* a car. Lets face it, there is a small percentage of these cars that see a track. I do agree 10,000 track miles would show more wear and tear than 10,000 pampered miles taking Sunday drives to the park. How did this stereo type end up applying to all Vipers? :dunno:

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread but how do we go about changing the publics perception that anything over 10,000 miles on a viper is high mileage.

I was sort of wondering about this also. Mine has been referred to as a garage queen, even though it has 18,500 miles on it. Maybe it's because I average 2,000 miles per year that they call it a queen. I just can't bring myself to drive something this beautiful into the ground.

Will it still be a garage queen if I keep it 10 more years and put an additional 20,000 miles on it? I dunno, but it has sure stayed looking nice for 9 years.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude