What shifter do you guys use in place of the stock shifter?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Totally agree, but its more about the gate in the gearbox itself! There have been many tails of miss shifting, Its happened to me a few times. and that's even with a short throw shifter. I read various posts about shifting and people saying engine flex and transmission mounts also affect shifting. Well I changed those to the stiffer Woodhouse mounts which slightly helped, but Im still very careful when shifting and cover the clutch pedal just in case I hit the wrong gear :( Now bear in mind I live in the UK and have grown up with manual shifters, I think it could be a hell of a lot better.

We were talking about this here http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/644391-Shifter-Knob-and-Short-Throw-Shifter...

And sorry to say I still have not got around to fitting my replacement shifter yet :( Just been too busy :(

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never really liked the stock one either. On my '04 I put in a B&M, and on my '06 I have a Hurst. While both are better than stock, the Hurst seems more precise than the B&M to me. I have never missed a shift with either of them. I wish I could say that about the stock one.

Steve A.

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search. There are tons of opinions here about shifters etc.

I have a B&M in my '94. Far better than stock..IMO

Bexar80

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does the B&M lower the height or the throw distances and does it have an increased spring pressure between 4th and 2nd?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had a group buy on SVS shifters when they were in business 5 years ago. Love it. I'd go with a B&M shifter if I didn't already have the SVS unit.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
change the shifter knob and shorten the shifter shaft first and all is fine IMO
That is the most ineffective amateur modification.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The two problems with the Stock setup are:
A. Not enough positive neutral feel
B. Some people like a shorter shift throw(the distance the top of the knob moves from one shift to another)

The above method does not fix A at all and only slightly fixes B at the expense of a harder shifting effort from reducing the length of the lever.

An aftermarket shifter mechanism like B@M, Hurst, ect... Fixes Both of these issues with:
A. Stronger positive neutral springs that make the shifter want to go to center. This especially helps when shifting from 2nd to 3rd because as your pushing up the shifter automatically notches over to center allowing you to quickly throw her into 3rd without worrying about going to 1st.
B. The pivot point in the shifter is changed to shorten the throw.

Shaft and knob are nothing but personal preference. Pro's & performance oriented drivers like to retain a high shaft/knob so that there is minimal distance for their hand to move from the steering wheel to the shifter to quickly shift then get their hand back on the wheel. Posers/Amateurs like to have a short shaft for a number of reasons that they can chime in on. I personally like the stock 99-02 knob paired with my B&M and im sure the others Hurst/SVS are great as well.

More:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/633942-better-not-shorter-shifter?highlight=shifter

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to buy a B&M because I would like to retain the stock look and shifter knob.
But after ordering it from 2 different venders I have been told it is discontinued and out of stock.
Anybody know where I can buy one? I have a gen II

Last edited:

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend machined a "short shifter" for my '96, very similar to what is in my 2000. We removed the factory "isolator" and replaced it with our new piece. It's about 1" shorter (maybe a bit more) and retains the stock knob. He's supposed to by making more for me. I figured others may want some and asked him to make more...but they're not ready yet.

It's been in my '96 for a year and it's a huge improvement.

EDIT...while it's not a replacement "shifter", it gets rids of alot of the slop that comes with the isolator and shortens the throws a good bit. At least for me..it does the trick nicely.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I searched E-bay and all I found was he Hurst.
I found about 20 companies that list them on the web but have not had one say the have any in stock all say the drop shipped them and B&M does not have any.

I you can find a listing on ebay for a gen II B&M send it to me.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone here used to modify the stock shifter with a stronger spring. I installed one a while ago and found it to be a worthy improvement.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MGW Knob and getting rid of the isolator makes a big difference. I disagree that shortening the throw takes more effort to shift on these trannys.

72hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend machined a "short shifter" for my '96, very similar to what is in my 2000. We removed the factory "isolator" and replaced it with our new piece. It's about 1" shorter (maybe a bit more) and retains the stock knob. He's supposed to by making more for me. I figured others may want some and asked him to make more...but they're not ready yet.

It's been in my '96 for a year and it's a huge improvement.

EDIT...while it's not a replacement "shifter", it gets rids of alot of the slop that comes with the isolator and shortens the throws a good bit. At least for me..it does the trick nicely.

How much for one of those and any idea when they will be ready?

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What shifter do you guys use in place of the stock shifter

been looking the B&M hard to find

I first replaced my stock shifter with the Hurst. I liked it much better than stock and had picked it as a result of quite a few recommendations. However, I was still encountering near mis-shifts on the track; so, I bought a B&M. I found that the centering spring on the new B&M I bought wasn't firm enough, and replaced one of the springs with one I bought from ACE hardware which I cut down to fit. I like it better with this mod; but, I wouldn't say that it is that much different from the Hurst. I haven't ebay'ed the Hurst yet; so if you want to try it out, for say half of what internet price is, you could pick it up. I have no issue if you want to give it back after a couple of weeks using it if you don't think it does what you wanted. It is a little PITA to install though. I think more so than the B&M was.

Last edited:

emaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you find anything on Craigslist, it take so long to search each small area one at a ttime?

I use this website.

http://www.searchtempest.com/

You can put in what you are looking for, your zip, an how many miles you are willing to travel.

I am sure there are other websites out there that will search CL, but I have been using this one for some time. I actually found my viper through it.

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My issue with the Hurst was when you wanted to drop the tranny, you had this long-ass rod sticking up out of the mechanism making it a PITA to slide the tranny down and to the rear...so I just sold my Hurst shifter since I would prefer not to have to remove or re-install the shifter each time I wanted to drop the tranny. Just a pieve of mine. As far as the shifter itself goes, no issue with it an it was actually a great piece of gear once installed.