What shifter do you guys use in place of the stock shifter?

GTSGTO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a B&M on my '97. I have a Hurst with MGW knob on my '02. Never a problem with either.

jwolf

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend machined a "short shifter" for my '96, very similar to what is in my 2000. We removed the factory "isolator" and replaced it with our new piece. It's about 1" shorter (maybe a bit more) and retains the stock knob. He's supposed to by making more for me. I figured others may want some and asked him to make more...but they're not ready yet.

It's been in my '96 for a year and it's a huge improvement.

EDIT...while it's not a replacement "shifter", it gets rids of alot of the slop that comes with the isolator and shortens the throws a good bit. At least for me..it does the trick nicely.

You must be registered for see images attach

I has some free time today so found a piece of steel and turn on of these on my lathe, not as pretty but, functional, I just flat sided it and didn't do a hex.
I installed it and not impressed, the shift is still cluncky The the viper has the notchest shifter I have ever had in a performance car. I don't know it it is the shifter or the trans it's self.
Would changing to synthetic lube help? I still plan on changing the shifter when I find a B&M or give up and buy a Hurst.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Jay. Your Viper came with a synthetic tranny fluid...MOPAR "Synthetic Manual Transmission Lubricant SAE 75W-85" ( also known as "Castrol Syntorq LT 75W/85"). This is a GL-4...DO NOT use a GL-5 !!!

You might consider changing the current fluid as the next step...noting that many Vipers are still runnung on old fluids.