What will 40 large get me? (GTS only)

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Back in December I paid $47K for my 2002 ACR with 4900 miles in perfect condition from the original owner. I'm sure you can find a great Gen 2 GTS for $40K if you keep looking.
You must be registered for see images attach

That is exactly the kind of deal I am looking for (obviously in my price range). Most 02 Final edition ACR would sell for MORE today in this horrible economy. I am looking for a great deal from a motivated seller.

To answer a previous posters question I would prefer a car with some mods (particularly a mean sounding exhaust, k and n and smooth tubes).

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is set on 40K guys and a GTS guys so why bother him? Gotta hand it to him for sticking to his guns, especially the money part. The Steel Grey car he was looking at was my car but I would not sell for 40K so he moved on.
Keep looking, you will find a good deal at some point but I feel that 40K may not get the exact GTS you want even in this economy.........................but you may!

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terminator, sounds like you are really looking for a $36k car and willing to go to $40k. They are out there/it's out there. However, you're probably going to give up "something" at that price. Mileage, questionable mods, title, something. Lots of good cars for sale, good luck and if you are serious, welcome to the Viper community.

BTW, buy one within the next 27 days and go to VOI 10 in Detroit!!!

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Terminator, sounds like you are really looking for a $36k car and willing to go to $40k. They are out there/it's out there. However, you're probably going to give up "something" at that price. Mileage, questionable mods, title, something. Lots of good cars for sale, good luck and if you are serious, welcome to the Viper community.

He has a very valid point here

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is set on 40K guys and a GTS guys so why bother him? Gotta hand it to him for sticking to his guns, especially the money part. The Steel Grey car he was looking at was my car but I would not sell for 40K so he moved on.
Keep looking, you will find a good deal at some point but I feel that 40K may not get the exact GTS you want even in this economy.........................but you may!

Did you decide to hold onto your car or did someone steal that off your hands already?

CROM

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you need to look long and hard at what legitimate owners are offering you for 40k. It sounds like you want an FE for 40k. There are plenty of GTSs out there in the 40k range. What is 42k? 50 bucks extra a month in a payment?

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back in December I paid $47K for my 2002 ACR with 4900 miles in perfect condition from the original owner. I'm sure you can find a great Gen 2 GTS for $40K if you keep looking.
You must be registered for see images attach

dang is that a Saleen S7??? holy cow. That's my dream car right there.

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is exactly the kind of deal I am looking for (obviously in my price range). Most 02 Final edition ACR would sell for MORE today in this horrible economy. I am looking for a great deal from a motivated seller.

quote]

that car wasn't a FE.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your best bet is to look around Florida. Many Vipers there.

That's about the worst advice, considering the title issues out of the Florida, the number of cars that were rental beaters, etc., you have to be careful what you buy from there.

Catwood

Viper Owner
Reaction score

BTW, buy one within the next 27 days and go to VOI 10 in Detroit!!!

I disagree. They are out there...just search around. I would have sold mine for $38K with the track stuff removed. No stories, clean title, admitted track use, unlike some who claim they haven't but have run weekends at Viperdays ;)

I stopped advertising it and will be a Willowsprings in Sept...kicking butt in prepared.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys, the search is alive, kicking and going strong. IEATVETTES..I do kick myself a bit for not paying the extra to buy your car but oh well:) To answer another question on what I am looking for, there are two scenarios
1. A more common color (Red) that could be cheaper due to popularity, low miles and stock. I have seen 7-10k mile red stock vipers 97/98 GTS go for about 40k.
Option 2 is:
Any year, 25-35k miles, great overall paint condition, bolt on mods (headers, exhaust, k and n, etc).

I appreciate everyone's emails and PM's and advice. I am mulling everything over in my head. I have been lurking these forums daily (along with craigslist, vipertrader, autotrader and viperalley) daily as well. I know in my head exactly what I am looking for and am willing to wait to get it. It would be nice to get into a viper before VOI 10 being that I live in the Metro Detroit Area.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have your heart set on a Viper, you will kick yourself if you don't get one in time for VOI.X

Special parking at the track, as well as a chance to drive the course with other Vipers. Might be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Hope you find the right car for you. Lots of them out there, but you are at the low end of the price range. With these cars being as unique as they are, it is sometimes better to look for the best car, rather than the best price.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black was not a factory color for '98. Because it has an aftermarket paint job, I'd check the car out thoroughly for other issues, just in case.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Black was not a factory color for '98. Because it has an aftermarket paint job, I'd check the car out thoroughly for other issues, just in case.

wow thanks. That is good to know. I guess I am also looking at Stoutviper's ebay listing as that car looks really clean. If he would take 40 I would probably go with that but he is looking for more right now...

Viper ACR Lover 02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought 98s still had fog lamp covers - that doesn't have them... maybe it is a 99 with wheels from the 1998 model year??

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a red 97gts with 11k on it, has some goodies, 19" 505a, b&b headers, ugraded halfshafts, and clutch. dont have time to drive it, john 386 258 0083

Ray W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
T-2, I would like to go lower for you but even without the wheels there are over $20,000.00 in mods on the car not including labor. The car is on a lift in my garage so it can be inspected top to bottom. Maybe I could remove some of the things you might not want to help lower the price a little more.

OP
OP
T

terminator02

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I am in talks with John from CCW on a 97 with mods, 11k and things look promising...may have found a viper.....finally...

RMBSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
eBay Motors: Dodge : Viper (item 330257256266 end time Aug-04-08 22:55:25 PDT)

DSC04996sm.jpg

DSC04999sm.jpg

DSC05012sm.jpg

WoW! That car is amazing!:2tu:

I might actually consider a Gen 2 after seeing this car...what does it cost to ship a car from Cali to Texas?

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my own personal curiosity and for future reference, how do you decode the VIN?

Vin Code Breakdown per 2002 Viper Service Manual:

Position 1 - Country of Origin, 1 = Built in USA

Position 2 - Make, B = Dodge

Position 3 - Vehicle Type, 3 = Passenger Car

Position 4 - Passenger Saftey, E = Active Driver & Passenger
Air Bags

Position 5 - Car Line, R = Viper

Position 6 - Series, 6 = Special

Position 7 - Body Style, 5 = 2 Door Open Body
9 = 2 Door Speciality Coupe

Position 8 - Engine, E = 8.0 L 10 Cylinder

Position 9 - Check Digit, 0 through 9 or X

Position 10 - Model Year, 2 = 2002

Position 11 - Assembly Plant, V = Conner Ave. Assembly

Positions 12-17 - Sequence No., 6 Digit No. Assigned by
Assembly Plant

In position 10 a number or letter may represent the model year. For example: 1998 (W), 2000 (Y), 2007 (7) or 2008 (8).

VIN 1b3er69e6wv400168 is a 1998 Viper coupe.

Last edited:

ACPERFORMANCE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know of a 1999 Black On Black Dodge Viper GTS ACR here with 18k miles. Second owner, all stock with chrome wheels, MINT condition. Owner wants $44k. This car is immaculate though. We maintain the car a our shop.

Todd
A&C Performance