Whats it worth...'01 Sapphire/Silver stripe GTS

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found one at a dealership, they're asking around $42,981. From what I can tell it looks to be in really good shape. Has around 28,745 miles on it. As far as I can tell only mods are shifter, smooth tubes, different exhaust tips and tinted windows. Also has new Pilot Sport tires. I've kicked myself for selling mine several years ago and am looking for another. I was wanting an ACR but if I can find a really clean GTS for a good price I would jump on it. Cant see the chin spoiler to see any potential damage nor can I see clear pics of wheels for road rash.

Anyone know who's it was? KBB said fair market value was high 39K range. If I go and look at it what else should I look for? Hopefully there is some documentation and/or receipts for the mods with it.

Thanks.
Dave

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the color combo! :D Take another look at those rear tires ... the new Power Sports weren't produced for the 18" rear wheels (assuming stock sizes). Look for cracks in the arm rest/tranny tunnel cover ... the Gen II's are notorious for this. There is a fix, but it's just one more thing to look at. Also, look to see if the power steering pump pulley and bracket have been replaced with billet after-market. That's another common failure point ... if the person was careful about preventative maintenance, they will be shiny aluminum, not stock cast. If the pulley is plastic instead of metal, it's probably the Canada version of the '01 S/S. A relatively large number of them were sent to Canada. I bought my Canada version in southern Florida, so they DO make their way back into the states.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions and I'll see what I can do to gather up answers. The bottom line is whether you JUST LOVE the colors or are just OK with them. You will pay a higher price for the S/S due to it's limited production run.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. If the pulley is plastic instead of metal, it's probably the Canada version of the '01 S/S. A relatively large number of them were sent to Canada. I bought my Canada version in southern Florida, so they DO make their way back into the states.

Just an FYI: I believe that all Gen 2 OEM PS pulleys are plastic. The aftermarket replacements are either aluminum (IPSCO), or the earlier '92-'95 steel version that Roe sells (requires offset spacers on bracket).

OP
OP
D

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. One other thing I thought of was checking the power steering cap and see if its still stock or if its been modified/aftermarket for the coming loose issue.

brentsGTS, what do you have?

brentsGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its a 97 red gts. Full exhaust, clutch , motor on has about 25k miles on it 67k on the body but its straight and has been inspected by Eddie Martin my viper tech. Roe 2.4l supercharger and the list goes on. Brand new rear end etc. The motor itself is stock and extremely tight! Made extremely good power n/a.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/4307515592.html

There's alot more to the car. If you're interested give me a call. 62381zero9698

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI: I believe that all Gen 2 OEM PS pulleys are plastic. The aftermarket replacements are either aluminum (IPSCO), or the earlier '92-'95 steel version that Roe sells (requires offset spacers on bracket).

My mistake then! I could have sworn the shop manual said that they were metal, but mine (from Canada) had a plastic one with a 'made in Canada' sticker on it. I assumed that was due to it crossing the border. Either way, new billet bracket and pulley are a must.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low 40's is probably about right considering the mileage. I think Sapphire/Silver is one of the best colors made and relatively rare with only 86 made. Go for it.

OP
OP
D

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any Viper owners live in central Kansas and could look over the car for me? I got some pics under the front bumper and in the engine bay regarding the stock power steering system. They all look pretty clean.
Before I think about making the 4-5 hour drive out there to see it for myself I thought maybe someone who lived closer to give me their thoughts.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this car on ebay a month before in Arizona from a private seller for high 30s. this is not the first time this and another dealer snags it for a resale with nice margins. there is a black 99 gts that a guy was selling for $37-38k 'now they are asking in the low 40s. i remember this car because the owner put new 20 inch wheels and had a few pics of the car. then it was on ebay, then it dissappered to reappear with a $5K higher tag. should have kept your eyes peeled when it was available from an owner. this way you could have saved easily $5-6K. i rest my case:D

OP
OP
D

Dave T(BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll have to ask the dealership how they got the car, if it is the same one it gives me a little negotiating room as I'm still in talks with them about the car.

If I cant get the price I'd like I'll simply turn it down...no biggy. I looked on Ebay to see if any had sold recently and only saw a modified ACR in the sapphire/silver stripe paint.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i promise you thats the car. it was on ebay not long before rea:2tu:ppearing. just run a history on it....i am very bad with names but cars i remember very well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21