What's the best performance upgrade for a 06 coupe?

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the best performance upgrade for a 06 coupe? Besides a cat back exaust. From what I read the heads ****. This makes it hard to get more HP.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do a search, but just depends on your budget and what performance you want. If you're looking to do it as cheap as posible, start with intake/exhaust/gears. Middle of the road, add a Paxton to the list. All out twin turbo :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PS2s are the first huge improvement since the runcraps are dangerous and the PS2s improve all performance (stopping, handling, braking etc.).

Complete Exhaust upgrade to add comfort and get rid of Gov required garbage parts. Do you have the ability to drive with stock 450rwhp comfortably? 600rwhp? Without slicks no one can drive with complete confidence at anything over 600rwtq and/or 650rwhp. But it sure is fun trying.

If you're one of the "nanny guys" then stock hp may be too much for you?

Blue tooth stereo is a good upgrade and practically required if you use a cell phone in your car now.

Motons, lightweight brake rotors and lightweight wheels are also excellent upgrades for your Viper.

I like my supercharger and can't imagine being without it. A Twin turbo car would cost more than $30K and anything higher than 900rwhp is too much for driving on the street. WOT is total wheelspin until sometime after 100mph.

Money and what driving style you have is what we'd need to know to properly recommend modifications. Driving experience and training would also be factors in choosing upgrades.

Of course, some of us, like Plum, just can't get enough, lol.

Ted

OP
OP

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already did Motons, 09 wheels w/ Nittos. Now just need more HP. I am thinking of a super charger. I have read that headers don't help much on an NA motor. TT doesn't interest me.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I love my supercharger.

"headers don't help much" - It's all relative. Figure 20-35hp depending on brand, mods and Cat back. 1 3/4" Headers do increase the sound, add hp and improve sound though. If you're going supercharger then you'll probably be going with Paxton and you'll really need the headers (no pickles).

Sean Roe did develop his twinscrew supercharger for the Gen 3, but I'm not sure if he has any available or not.

Ted

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What for? Drag racing? Road course? Posing?

For me the single biggest bang for the buck is a wheel alignment with a ton more negative camber - but I need that for the track.

Greg

OP
OP

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCT Tune? What is this. How is the smell with no cats?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already did Motons, 09 wheels w/ Nittos. Now just need more HP. I am thinking of a super charger. I have read that headers don't help much on an NA motor. TT doesn't interest me.

Hmmmm...
You want more HP but a TT "doesn't interest" you?....:confused:

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm...
You want more HP but a TT "doesn't interest" you?....:confused:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao: Good Question.

Ok I am a N/A only guy here and I have found for the HP on a stock engine is to remove the cats and get a good tune (sct,vec3, PCM Changed). Headers and exhaust will gain you some but its the full combination that gets the ponies. Full exhaust plus Cat removal and tune (then you feel it!) If you want big NA power go for Stryker heads, new cam and a bit more compression.;)

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What for? Drag racing? Road course? Posing? For me the single biggest bang for the buck is a wheel alignment with a ton more negative camber - but I need that for the track. Greg

The PERFECT answer!

Define 'PERFORMANCE' as meets YOUR needs..

Better turning-handling? Your Motons are a great start?
Better Braking?
Quicker Acceleration? {Now, define that! 1/4 mile? Or Midrange as on-track)

If you have to pick ONE thing that meets virtually every venue: REAR GEAR SWAP!
I invite a call any afternoon to discuss further....

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What's the best performance upgrade for a 06 coupe? Besides a cat back exaust. From what I read the heads ****. This makes it hard to get more HP.

Performance upgrade....yes as several have eluded to...what does upgrade mean to you?

A lot of people have only experienced a SMALL portion of the massive horsepower of their Viper that's ALREADY there right in front of you:)

With that said, you might consider some of the upgrades listed above, such as tires and a gear swap and consider a driving school.

What good is all that hp you already have if you havn't unleashed it?

OP
OP

8mywal8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do about 5 track days a year. I drag race here and there. I drive on the street like an old man 95% of the time. I drive like a nuckle head 5% of the time. Point being I just want to see what everyone recomends or what there experiences are with these cars. I really think a twin turbo is rediculas. Put $30,000 more into a car that may be worth $50,000. That just sounds stupid. If I wanted to do that I would get a GT40. At least you have a car thats worth 4 times the turbo system. Gears sounds like the next investment. Then maybe some headers.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Leslie and Jon said it all (although I figured the biggest upgrade was the PS2s your sold me Jon).

Running around the road course does allow you to experience the power and performance that you have. Leslie is correct as you can never get that experience on the street. Being in a 'class' of many different "supercars" like Audi TTs, vettes, Porshes, etc. and noticing that they are ALL in your way can give you a "warm fuzzy feeling and a very long lasting smile! Jon was my hp driving instructor at PIR and if I ever get close to Leslie, I want to ride Leslie's track ..........

ummm, nuff said.

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The PERFECT answer!

Define 'PERFORMANCE' as meets YOUR needs!

Better turning?
Better Braking?
Quicker Acceleration? {Now, define that! 1/4 mile? Or Midrange as on-track)

If you have to pick ONE thing that meets virtually every venue: REAR GEAR SWAP!
I invite a call any afternoon to discuss further....

I would agree with JonB. It may not be huge on the dyno but it's "seat of your pants" power. You really feel it plus you get to use 6th gear under 80mph....

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, but I think driving school. Not trying to be funny or make you out to be some type of loser, but most drivers never approach the capability of the car.

To get the most out of the car, you need to refine your own skills first. Whether it is drag racing or road, the Viper is very good at what it does. The weak part is the driver.

imagine32000

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To be quite honest.. keep the PCM stock (stock timing is fairly conservative, works safely if the AFR is there.) Run 2 steps colder on the plugs, nitrous wet 200 shot & tune the jets appropriately (primarily with the fuel jet.) Throw a wideband on there & tune it yourself on the street/track. More satisfaction that way, IMO. It's give you everyday driveability withhout headaches & also provides an enormous amount of fun with the flick of a button. You feel torque. And it's cheap, get a good kit (NX, NOS, etc.) & a good installer. $1500-2500. Take it easy.

- Matt

SCLSSRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best performance upgrade you cam make without question is to invest in YOURSELF. Take a few driving schools. There is no question that these cars are remarkably powerful. Why do you need more power? There is plenty of power to kill you in a heart beat or lack of one.

Driving schools are the best investment anyone can make. Take it from one who spent a great deal of money on his '03 SRT10. Finally after I spent a lot of money I did get better, so much so I bought a CC and started racing. But I did not listen to those that knew more than I did at the time. I wish I had listened, I would probably have an extra $100K in my pocket. But none the less driving schools and track days are the best thing you can spend money on with these cars. YOU WILL learn how to drive better and control the car in a controlled environment not on the street. An ultimately you will be faster and never had to spend serious money on the car. You should invest in better brake pads and brake fluid for the track, but that is ALL you need.

Experience is worth something,

Good luck,

SCL
VRL # 007

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paxton for staight up power! Then learn the power before you hammer on it or you will end up in a tree;)

ViperDreams

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The smell isnt bad at all. If you are stuck at a light with the ac/heat on sometimes you'll get a wiff of exhaust. Doesnt smell like rotten eggs, just heavy exhaust.
SCT is a custom tuner. Added abou8t 20whp.

SCT Tune? What is this. How is the smell with no cats?

cash84

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, but I think driving school. Not trying to be funny or make you out to be some type of loser, but most drivers never approach the capability of the car.

To get the most out of the car, you need to refine your own skills first. Whether it is drag racing or road, the Viper is very good at what it does. The weak part is the driver.
i think you said it all wrong. to me i knew i could do it on my own but get some ideas from instructors in the viper community when its viper days.

when people learn on their own, look how many totalled vipers there are. yes i have seen on tracks too. im sorry but that was kind of a poor statement you made.

WILDASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with SCL and others here; the first and best upgrade is a DRIVER upgrade. Whether we like to admit it or not, the fact is, most of us could stand some improvement in our skills. Invest in some good professional instruction; at the very least, it will be a chance to improve some of the weak spots in your skills, and correct any bad habits you may have picked up (most of us have some of both).

The car itself is already pretty capable, and most of the best things to do are directed at making it just a bit easier to drive. There's no doubt that it's a good idea to replace the original runflats with PS2s; that alone will improve ride and handling significantly. The MGW short throw shifter is another worthwhile mod; much more pleasant to drive with, and fewer missed shifts, too. A good cat-back exhaust will help with the cockpit heat issue. A rear gear swap will give you a noticeable SOTP acceleration improvement, and a more usable 5th gear for the street; if it were me, I'd combine that with adding a Quaife rear diff to help keep the rear planted where it belongs, before I went for any major power-adders - 450-470 RWHP is about as much as most of us weekend warriors can safely use most of the time.

SilveRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to agree with SCL and others here; the first and best upgrade is a DRIVER upgrade. Whether we like to admit it or not, the fact is, most of us could stand some improvement in our skills. Invest in some good professional instruction; at the very least, it will be a chance to improve some of the weak spots in your skills, and correct any bad habits you may have picked up (most of us have some of both).

The car itself is already pretty capable, and most of the best things to do are directed at making it just a bit easier to drive. There's no doubt that it's a good idea to replace the original runflats with PS2s; that alone will improve ride and handling significantly. The MGW short throw shifter is another worthwhile mod; much more pleasant to drive with, and fewer missed shifts, too. A good cat-back exhaust will help with the cockpit heat issue. A rear gear swap will give you a noticeable SOTP acceleration improvement, and a more usable 5th gear for the street; if it were me, I'd combine that with adding a Quaife rear diff to help keep the rear planted where it belongs, before I went for any major power-adders - 450-470 RWHP is about as much as most of us weekend warriors can safely use most of the time.

Very well said Sir !
A reply like this sums it all up and makes this forum very enjoyable to read and learn.

Luvgoinfast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did exhaust and filter change. This winter I'm doing heads, cam and intake through Greg Good. I also changed my shifter which doesn't sound like a lot but really helped my shifting out a lot.