What's the big deal about large wheel size?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corvette ZR1 comes with 19s/20s from the factory. It had no problem covering the ACR Viper's time at the 'Ring on them. Don't always assume large diameter automatically means poor handling.

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tony, its the whole setup of the corvette that beat the ACR.

I'm guessing that the ZR1 would have gone quicker on 18's/19's than it had on 19's/20's.

jmasin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lol maybe you should Google my name and SCCA... I don't need luck ;)

Ouchie LOL

As said, tires are part of the spring rate, so things must be balanced. If the car is designed with a certain sidewall in mind (springs designed accordingly) that's one thing. If a car is designed one way, then rubber band tires are put on, handling will generally not be optimum.

Tire "roll" is also managed through camber settings. All tires roll. Some less than others depending on sidewall height, material, design etc. For OPTIMAL handling, it all needs to be designed together. F1 suspensions are about as stiff as they come, the tire supplies a good portion of the spring rate involved and they have very tall sidewalls. CHECK THE CAMBER ON F1 CARS!!! LOL. But F1 is designed to generally work on baby-smooth surfaces... far from ideal for road-going vehicles.

Runflats on my C5 were stiff as a board in the sidewall with very little roll, but handling was horrible. Go to normal tires and it was an immediate improvement. Sidewall stiffness isn't everything.

For a given total tire diameter, larger wheels will degrade braking, acceleration and turn-in. This is physics. As you move the mass distribution further from the rotational axis (the axle) it takes more torque to accelerate it (for acceleration or braking). There is also more rotational torque to be overcome for turning the wheels.

Again, all things being equal except larger diameter wheels.

Now, larger wheels do allow for larger rotors and more brake torque, so some advantage can be taken there. Larger tire diameter will provide a larger contact patch (but will change effective gear ratios).

It's all about integrated design.

GTLaser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's all personal preference as well as what you indeed to use the car for.... Road racing go with 18/19's.... Checking b*£€hes go with 20's.... Done.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Isn't the Gen V slated to hit show rooms on 19/20's.

When you're adding weight to the argument, a forged 3 piece 20 will come in lighter than the cast 19 inch stockers.

I think that is a very generalized statement and not the whole truth. As always, different wheels have differing weights and different missions. The stock wheel is designed to hold up to the rigors of *** holes and other obstacles. A three piece wheel may be light, but may also suffer damage from the very first impact it sustains on the street. I've also seen many three piece wheels that are very heavy, especially when compared to a properly designed forged one piece wheel. As usual no one set of rules can be applied.

I'd just say, different strokes for different folks, but realize that the car was designed for a specific wheel and tire package.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Camfab: I agree there are some three piece designs that are heavier I am referring to offerings from the high end companies i.e. I forged, hre, 360 forged, forgeline, fikse, and CCW.

As for strength I have put over 80 thousand combined street miles on 360's in both Washington D.C. and Houston and have yet to break or bend a rim.

Also I you do damage a 3 piece wheel you only have to replace the damaged portion not the entire wheel.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like those 360's must be pretty tough. I do remember though, that certain high end wheels, and I can't recall if it was HRE's were not legal at Viper Days. I'm sure that they have corrected the issue, not sure if you have any insight on that.

I must admit, I've always loved the look of the Fikse classic wheel. I guess I've always loved that traditional BBS look.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to comment here, but the green Vette thingy just made some of my neurons mis-fire and I no longer have anything to say...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Corvette ZR1 comes with 19s/20s from the factory. It had no problem covering the ACR Viper's time at the 'Ring on them. Don't always assume large diameter automatically means poor handling.

Yes, it did. It also came with this...
x09ch_cr082.jpg

Big massive carbon brakes to utilize the space the big wheel provides.

As opposed to this one-piece stock size poser rotor with a big wheel...
DSC029211.jpg

See a difference? One says "serious" the other says "joke".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960