what's the top speed you've hit on the streets ?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: what\'s the top speed you\'ve hit on the streets ?

We don't have an Autobahn but we have a lot of safe clear open highways that a cop would have to be a real **** to ticket somebody for some mild 100 - 120 mph cruising.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The speed should be relative to the car you drive.
If I am a officer and your driving a piece of crap 120mph your toast. why? because the car was not designed to do that.
Now if your driving a performance car; viper, Ferrari, lambo,etc.
and your doing 150mph no worries the car is designed to go 200mph. I would ask to you slow up and thank you for not going 200mph...

just my 2 cents.
smile.gif

Serious Eric

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Some of you guys haven't got it over 100mph? I do 100-120mph on my way to work most mornings!

On another note ... what kinda gas mileage do you guys get? I'm only seein around 5 mpg. I think there's something wrong with my car.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimandela:
The speed should be relative to the car you drive.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly! Perhaps there are other cops that feel the same way? I remember once when I was driving my GTS to the track doing between 80 and 85 and a minivan was gaining on me. A cop crossed the median and "gave chase" after us. I thought for sure I was gonna get my annual speeding tax. Nope. He cruised past me and pulled the van. Either he didn't have the radar on me or he figured a guy driving a Viper with a bigazz number on the door was safer than the 85mph minivan.

PETSN8K

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Last night I got pulled over by the Memphis Police as I was heading into Mississippi. He clocked me at 126 mph in a 55 mph zone. He turned on his lights about a mile behind me because he couldn't catch me. I pulled over when I saw his lights. He actually laughed and said he thought for sure I would just take off into MS knowing he had no chance of catching me. He said "That thing will role............Have a nice night." No ticket. All police officers aren't bad!

As for the fastest I've been on the street. 170 in my Z06 and 178 in my GTS. For the record, the GTS got there much quicker!

Reaction score

I pulled this data off the Silver State Classic (Nevada) Website for last May's event: This is my highest "clocked speed" on a public road to date, since exceeding tech speed = disqualification. My speedo may have crept higher at other segmants of the event.
devil.gif

If you want to go faster than daily drives - this is a legal way.

Car#: 168
Driver: Baxter, Gregory
Year: 1999
Car Make: Dodge
Car Model: Viper ACR
High Trap (MPH): 165

laugh.gif

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Buried the needle in 95 RT/10 Venom 600 (#019) one night around 2 AM on Phoenix, AZ, Beltway. Part of road trip returning from VOI5. An unnamed VCA member was behind me in another Gen 1 RT/10, also cooking along...165 I seem to recall. Got up to speed, then backed off quickly. No long cruise.

Tops were off, as they should be in RT/10s. Actually, RT/10s shouldn't even be offered with tops ;-)

Momentary insanity. Not even alcohol as an excuse. Just regular old iced tea.

Greatest sensation of speed? mid-1980s, near Yuma, AZ, in what was then a brand spanking new Block 125 F-14A. Altitude 200 feet AGL (above ground level), Mach number almost 1.2, over an air combat maneuvering range. That's pretty much the limit at that altitude, air density, air pressure, etc. Indicated air speed was up there...around 700+ knots. Too busy to pay much attention to gauges at that speed...eyeballs need to be out of the cockpit! That is an incredible speed sensation. I don't think the coyotes, rattlers and gila monsters getting blown around in the massive dirt roostertail were very happy...

No violation. I think we were legal there.

Stupider than 180+ on a public highway, but at the time I was 24 years old and needed the "bragging rights." Did it over water a few times, too, but a couple of hundred feet higher, and no hills and obstructions blasting by. Unless you count this one Soviet Intelligence collector ship ;-)

I've been faster at high altitude (almost 2.5 mach in a Phantom), but you don't get the speed sensation.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Craig A. Petersen:

Don't worry. It's photoshopped.
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif
:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Craig, I don't know how you can be so hard headed!
pissed.gif
I told you in the other thread that.............

Oh!......... You used smilies!!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Sorry (J/K)
supergrin.gif
supergrin.gif

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

188 MPH verified by radar on open highway in Nevada. It was accomplished legally during the 1998 Pony Express 100 and 1998 Elko Gamblers Run. In the straights, the speedo was pegged at 190 MPH and would not go higher. The radar was placed in only 2 sections of the race course, so we only had a verified speed of 188.

Our top speed was hampered by use of a large single-element rear wing manufactured by Multi-Axis. The wing improved our overall performance during the race because of the extra speed we felt comfortable with in the turns. Our engineering calculations predicted a top speed achievable of 203 MPH without the wing and a .35 drag coefficient. We calculated that the wing increased the drag coefficient to approximately .40.

Our first place finish in the 170 MPH class of the 1998 Elko Gamblers Run resulted in an AVERAGE SPEED of 170.9 MPH for the entire 100 mile race. This included time lost during two standing starts during the race. This was done with a factory stock motor using smooth tubes and Belanger headers. Windows up and navigator/passenger in the car.

Most of the race took place at elevations in excess of 5000 feet above sea level. The thinner air at these elevations reduces horsepower but also reduces aerodynamic drag along with downforce.

If you want to go fast and do so legally, participate in the open road races held in both Nevada and Texas. A full roll cage, fire suppression system, etc. is required to pass tech in the unlimted speed classes. With a factory stock GTS, you can enter the 150 MPH class which has a technical speed limit of 160. They allow a 5% speedometer error, so your effective legal speed limit is 168 MPH. This is plenty fast since you are allowed to sustain this speed for 100 miles!

Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by USAF BAD ASP:
I too would never go so fast. But in my case, if I did, I would probably go around 165-170 racing a motorcycle, RT/10 would be *******. Lonely interstate, late at nite. Only if I were that stupid though
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This wouldn't be on 840 beside a CBR would it?
eek.gif

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had my cop buddies radar myself and my friend and we went buy at 185mph on stalker radar. I was not flat out I still had some gas to go. My speed said 188 or so I just glanced I think it was a little on the optimistic side. It was at night I was out running my headlights bad.

Kenric
452rwhp
512rwt
On button don't know yet

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I was going:

I only know becaue thats what the radars said when the track supervisors caught up with me for a meeting.

I was in:
Vette ZR1
Impala SS
Plymoth Voyager

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bonkers:
I was going:

I only know becaue thats what the radars said when the track supervisors caught up with me for a meeting.

I was in:
Vette ZR1
Impala SS
Plymoth Voyager

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Come on, admit it now, you've gone faster in the Jeep Comanches, right?
supergrin.gif

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZX12:
Come on, admit it now, you've gone faster in the Jeep Comanches, right?
supergrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sticking to my story...
smile.gif

Bad02ViperGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have been 150mph 1 time other then that, 125 in the quarter mile.......Don't get me wrong just have not had the space to go faster....

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Attention .... Attention ....

This is the Police. Let go of the MGW Short Shifter and step away from the vehicle. You have the right to remain silent ... ect... ect...
cool.gif

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Viper RT/10 with top on -&gt; 145 MPH with little effort and pulling very hard. Working over a Z06, luckily slowed down before radar trap on other side of crest got ahold of me.

Nissan Maxima -&gt; 132 MPH (pegged!)

A-Class Mercedes on German Autobahn -&gt; 136 MPH (pegged!)

Ford Excursion -&gt; 95 MPH on Bonneville Salt Flats (speed limited-dang rental cars!)

brianflynn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I were to speed on the street it would be an early Sunday morning in Arizona going east bound on I-10 from 99th Ave. in the car pool lane and when a guy in a viper passed me doing about 100 mph in a black rt/10. So I caught up to him for the nice Sunday drive when a blue viper with whit stripes passed us like we were standing still. Ill guess he was doing 140 mph. Both the black viper and I got next to him they pulled away from me around 150, we drove seven miles running over 160. The thought of being pulled over crossed my mind but hey if you’re a cop and you see two vipers and a mustang who is the real prize, not the mustang. So I felt pretty safe. They were running in lane #1 and #3 I was behind about an 1/8th of a mile when the both merged in to lane #2 at the same time, they couldn’t of missed by more than an inch. Im sure they raced home to change. I don't have a viper yet but I plan on getting one in the next year. My mustang at the time on a chassis dyno put out 405 rwhp. You viper guys and gals have great cars and everyone on the street knows it. I am building a new 388 stroker with a turbo looking to get 600 rwhp, Until I order my new viper Ill just have to keep looking at the tail lights of a viper.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I guess this is wimpy, but 115 mph in 3rd gear! The day I picked up my Viper (year ago this month). I had the wife in the car, slithered onto the fwy, it was totally open, so I just rolled on the go pedal in 2nd and shifted into 3rd with a little more go pedal...Had to let her feel the power you know...I glanced down at the speedo, and thought, hmmmm, cops, big ticket, first day, gotta let off...

Other than that, I don't think I want to know what might happen if I get a flat or someone else does something stupid at &gt; 100 mph...

Of course, that is until I get to the 1/4 mile track, when I hope to exceed 100
bounce.gif

Tomer

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

191mph in the diablo with room room to spare.
211mph in my rs america porsche...that was scarey!
diablo feels like a walk in the park.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TacDoc:
Responding to helicopter crash in GTS with lights and sirens 165mph.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Care to elaborate?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slaughterj:
Care to elaborate?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

slaughter- Did you see his "emergency response" Viper in the Viper mag? (EMT)

Must be the only one in the country!

LETHAL GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

RT/10 no top (what top? oh you mean that piece of sh*t I have in my basement) 150-160 MPH lots of times. 175 MPH 1 time, almost shyte my pants. That's fast without a lid.
My favorite thing is taking someone for a ride (preferably an old friend) out on the highway and asking them if they have ever gone faster than a 150 MPH. When they say NO, I tell em, well your doin' 155 right now. Now look at them and see their expression.
Because a 150 MPH is nothing in a Viper IMO. Now 175, there is a big difference IMO.
TJ

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

amit,
car was heavily modified, no longer n/a, but turbocharged. 714rwhp on pump gas.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are such cards!
laugh.gif

I was actually, now picture this, able to hold, without any stall, 4th gear up a 7% incline in bumper to bumper traffic AT IDLE! Talk about torque! Would you believe I accidently missed 2nd (idle rolling - just clutch-no pedal) and got 4th. For the record, the car is incredibly smooth in 4th at 8 MPH.
rofl.gif

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

narrow bodied 911's are the best to use for high speed, cut threw the wind much better than the wide bodies. thats why "Ruf" always uses narrow bodies.

TacDoc

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Closed section interstate in Z06, 185mph (5 degree downhill grade in 6th). Responding to helicopter crash in GTS with lights and sirens 165mph.