What's up with todays youth

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What\'s up with todays youth

Okay, so I have my GTS on the trailer and I'm on my way to the track for a little spirited driving. The little dash light comes on and tells me I'll be walking if I don't get some gas soon, and I really need to use the facilities so I pull into the local ****** mart. After I fill'er up, I go inside to get an RC Cola and a Moon Pie and to pay for the gas. The young man behind the counter looks vaguely familiar to me as he looks just like the guy in the before picture of the pimple cream ad in my last issue of Hot ROD magazine.
Any-way as I start to pay he says to me. "I really like your Camaro, how much did it cost?" My first thought was to throttle him and take all his skittles but I resisted the temptation to violence. As a health care professional, I seized the opportunity to help out this poor misguided youth and I invited him to a burger and fries during his break. He was reluctant at first, but he relented when I told him that french fries are actually a little known cure for acne.
I told him that my car was a Viper and that I never discuss car prices with strangers. I also told him that when I was his age I could identify any American
car on the road from a mile away. I waxed reminiscent about the good old days
when shade tree mechanics actually worked in the shade and all Hondas had two wheels. I spoke of how cubic inches once ruled the roads and that blowers were used for drying hair and the only Turbo I knew of was my mothers new Maytag.
I talked for what seemed like hours until the sun was slowly setting in the western sky. As I left, He thanked my for my time and he promised to visit the library at least once a week and look at old car magazines in their archives. I know some people would not have taken the time out of their busy schedule to help out a total stranger like this. But I am sleeping a little better tonight knowing that at least one more youth has been set firmly on the path to sports car enlightenment. I hope you will do the same for some poor soul in your Viper travels.

Doc
:D

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s up with todays youth

So far two have asked if it was a Mustang...
Countless "Is it s Vette?"

I finally had enought and tried to educate them by putting a large DODGE sticker on the windshield and one ricer said; " Why you put stickers on your Viper, everybody knows what it is and it looks ricy"

Go figure.

OP
OP
D

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Red,

My car has a very large sticker that takes up the entire door and says ViperSpeed and the boy still thought it was a Camaro. "Reading is Fundamental."

Doc

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it's an honest mistake I correct them. If they are being a wizass I just smile and agree.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kevin,

If you ever decide to have a career change, you would do well as a writer.

"I talked for what seemed like hours until the sun was slowly setting in the western sky."

That is too funny!!

:) :laugh: :D

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Give em a break! For every one that you run into that makes that kind of comment, you run into 10 that know EVERYTHING about Vipers! I don't think there's anything wrong with todays youth - have you seen the awesome cars they bring to car shows?

bwhitmore

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Did you ever think maybe the kid was purposely trying to down play your car?

I have a friend in the CHP. His favorite past time is asking BMW owners what year Toyota they have when he returns to have them sign the ticket. Suffice to say most don't take to kindly to that...

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I doubt that you really helped him. He probably had a few words for you after you walked out the door.

I met a guy one time and make a comment about how I liked his vintage auto. He gave me the complete history on the car (1 hour). I learned NEVER to bring up the car subject with him again.

TMI

Johann

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Don't paint all modern kids with the same brush.
I went to gas up a while back and the card reader at the pumps wasn't working so I went into the minimart to put my card down and the kid behind the counter complimented me on my GTS and asked me the year. We talked for a few minutes and he was a walking encyclopedia of Viper lore.
The only difference between us was forty years and our bank balances.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I had one tell me the RT/10 handles like crap and asked why I didn't get a GTS instead.

I said, "I have a GTS."

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

some people just dont know cars and if they dont they should shut up about em its not all youth i am 20 and i know what cars are what i own a 1999 viper and a 1999 mustang gt but i thing you do have a point on is some of these kids really honestly think with there 4 cyl honda they can really race me at a light with either of my cars its a joke that movie '2 fast' really made them think that honda's can smoke anything trust me they cant and these honda hookup.com places have these videos of honda's smoking vipers please its there own guys driving both they are tring to sell there honda crap so of course they are not gonna let the viper or vett win and theys ee that and it hypes there heads up more its actually kinda funny

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For those of you who don't know Doc or his writing style, check out his previous posts. His post was based on a life experience written from a humorous perspective. Doc is the nicest, most considerate Viper owner you will meet. I know he didn't actually "set this youth firmly on the road to sports car enlightenment". It was just a story.

If you want some good laughs, read some of his previous "stories". Doc has a knack for writing that few in life possess.

:2tu:

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hard to believe. I took the CC to a Show this past weekend as a favor to a friend that was running the show. AS the CC was placed near the front entrance, everyone pointed, hurried over to check this vehicle out to see exactly what it was, they looked all over the car, walking around several times shaking their heads. Finally i asked the question "What are you looking for"? Seems as though the show goers were looking for badging to identify this BAD A$$ race car. Without any badges seems no one knew that this was a VIPER. I heard everything from "What type of Kit Car is this"? "Is this a Corvette", "Isn't this the new SUPRA" Finally i had to make a sign that read "Dodge the next Generation, VIPER - Grab Life by the Horns".

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For those of us in the Viper family, it is inconceivable that an individual wouldn't recognize a CC. Glad you did your part of edumacation.

FranciscoR.

Enthusiast
Reaction score

While it can get annoying I would imagine ( Don't own one yet myself ) gotta be happy about one thing, be it Corvettes or Supras, or Vipers. The one thing to always be grateful and excited about is the fact there are still tons of people with passion for cars out there.

syclone1157

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The first pictures of the viper prototype emerged when I was about 16 years old. Since then I only need a small glimpse at about a mile away to know that it is a viper. I believe that what it comes down to keeping your nose in the magazines. I have a GMC Syclone that most people know very little about, but every now and then the OXY clean poster boys do surprise me.

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It is not just the youth, I was at work today, and one of our account execs (40 years old) comes in and sees my Viper background on my laptop and asks if it is the new GT40. We discussed that stupid statement for awhile and he moves closer for a better look and asks if it was a Porsche. The whole time he is very serious...some people just aren't car people, I guess age doesn't have a lot to do with it.

TSR6

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Finally i had to make a sign that read "Dodge the next Generation, VIPER - Grab Life by the Horns".

not "Grab life by the fangs"?

rac156

Enthusiast
Reaction score

As one of today's youth I don't want anyone to think this great post is an example of our punctuation skills. I'd like to think most of us can do at least a little better.

some people just dont know cars and if they dont they should shut up about em its not all youth i am 20 and i know what cars are what i own a 1999 viper and a 1999 mustang gt but i thing you do have a point on is some of these kids really honestly think with there 4 cyl honda they can really race me at a light with either of my cars its a joke that movie '2 fast' really made them think that honda's can smoke anything trust me they cant and these honda hookup.com places have these videos of honda's smoking vipers please its there own guys driving both they are tring to sell there honda crap so of course they are not gonna let the viper or vett win and theys ee that and it hypes there heads up more its actually kinda funny

"honda hookup.com" That's the only period in the whole post. Is it just me or does that make it hard to read?

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kids, these days, would be more interested in cars if dodge changed their slogan to . Dodge - "Pull life by the finger".

All I have been doing since I was a kid is reading about cars.

Solo II

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not all of today's youth are as misguided as that...like me for instance :) I'm 20, and anybody that knows me will you tell I can spot a viper from 1/4 mile away just by catching a glimpse of it! I've done it countless times, and then continued to give the model and gen of it. Just last week I seemed to suprise a red rt/10 owner here in st pete. I'm also good at spotting any of the SRT line (surprised a ram srt-10 owner big time by actually knowing what it was lol). I know it doesn't compare, but I get the "what is this thing?" about my SRT-4...I just smile, and begin the edumacation

dennis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There was once one (about 40-50 year old) guy at a gas station saying : "Damn, that's the most beautiful Ferrari, I've ever seen in my life!"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang