What's wrong with this picture?

CAS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s wrong with this picture?

OMG, I know, I was watching that too and I though the same thing!! It always bothers me when a manufacturer touts "race-tested and proven" when these days, it's all about a level playing field. Just like when they added hundreds of pounds to the Le Man's ORECA Vipers, as well as restrictor plates for the intakes, just for the benefit of the factory Corvettes. (The funny part is that we still beat 'em, lol) Anyway, racing is all about competition, and when competition is effectively stifled through those restrictions, it takes away the impetus for progress and innovation. Race tracks are perfect forums for experimentation; it is the acid test of quality and reliability, not to mention safety, and by taking away the motivation to 'go faster and safer', it really takes away from the sport and it's potential. That is why, to me, Formula One is still the ultimate form of auto racing; even though it might get boring to see Schuie win over and over, the motivation is still there for the other teams like Williams-BMW to beat them. I don't see McLaren beating down Bernie Ecclestone's door begging them to make Ferrari slower. And I think they are even adding restrictions to the Joest R8's, because they dominate so solidly; when will it end? I mean, a team might as well design mediocre cars and complain when they get beat by superior ones; the playing field is leveled due to inferior engineering and design. And NECKCAR is in the same boat, but their restrictions are even more extreme. It is essential, IMO, to keep sanctioned racing a pure sport; lay down class rules if need be, but just because a car is BETTER DESIGNED and therefore, is faster around a track is no excuse to take it down a notch. If I were the team with the disadvantage, like the factory Corvettes were, I would be embarassed if my team was so pathetic that it couldn't compete unless the other team was weakened. Well, that's my take on it; sorry for the length...

Regards,