Wheel hop ?

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was wondering if some of the road racers ever get wheel hop and what are some of the causes for it? When I'm on the road coarse it seems when I accell on RIGHT TURNS MAINLY I get bad wheel hop and have to get off the throttle. Feels like going over a bunch of small rumble strips.

The car is a 99ACR. I have never touched the suspension, adjusted shocks, etc. I run Hoosiers on BBS LM wheels.

Any suggestions or idea's?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get it too on my 2002 ACR, when I run Cup tires. I am fairly positive its coming from the spider gears/clutch pack in the differential, as the limited slip is trying to keep both tires "locked" together for ultimate straight forward traction, but in a turn, one of our wheels NEEDS to turn slightly faster then the other, and the stickey tires and the LSD are making that VERY hard to do, so our tires "skip" on the pavement, and with my stiffer shocks, it makes it even worse, as its quite a bit "bouncy" and I always have to back out, in fear of busting a half shaft, or a wheel hub.

So I know with LESS sticky tires, its doesnt happen for me (aka street tires). I do wonder if the shocks being so stiff on my 2002 ACR exaserbates the situation. Finally, would a QUAIFE/Torsen differential resolve this issue ?

Jon

PS. Mine happens on both sides, not just one. I will go back to street tires, as I know this never happened when I ran them. But for track, I am goign to be stuck with this same problem again, as I will run cup tires there.

OP
OP
M

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be right on the cause. At Sebring there is only three left turns, one is a big sweeping turn and the other is pretty tight and I don't accel as hard there, with the third left in a S section which I'm usually cautious thru. So I'm not real sure if it would do from both sides or not.

I thought maybe more track drivers would have chimed in.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude