Wheel Hop

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum and the proud owner of a new 2006 SRT-10 coupe, 177/200 which I picked up last Friday. This car is awesome! So much more than I expected. I traded in my 2004 Z06 and could not be happier. I'm trying to keep my foot out of it until at least 500 miles, but I did break the tires loose the other night and noticed that the car felt like it was hopping in 1st gear, and from 1st to 2nd shift. Is this a common problem on the Vipers, and if it is is there anything that can be done to prevent it? Appreciate any advice or comments.

SilverViper03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's normal when the tires are cold. If the pavement and the tires are hot it should disappear.

vincent_esq

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, it is common with our vipers. I did not know what it was the first couple of times that happenned to me. Do a search, lots have been discussed about this.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What I have read in the past it seams to be more of a problem on the 03 srt's. Or maybe more 03 owners complain?
I have a 03 and the wheel hop is horrible, happens to me in the hot summer. Maybe its the run-flat michelin's?
My vette has non-run flat michelin pilots and i have no wheel hop ever. Either way i think its ******** that we have to deal with this wheel hop issue.

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 and yes this owner is complaining big time. I can't even have fun and spin the tires, i feel like i'm about to start an earthquake with how much my car shakes. My Vette didn't have any issues with it's run-flats. It simply shouldn't happen, bottom line.

now i have to spend thousands on suspension to fix a factory problem.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone ever figured out that its the suspension setup?
I would not run out and buy a set of moton's or kw's until i new for sure that would be the fix.

Start an earthquake..............
I think I was responsible for the f'in tsunami last year after trying to do a burnout :)

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is a very well kept secret that the engineer who originally designed the VW Rabbit transferred to Chrysler under an H1 visa and worked on the rear suspension and drive train of the Viper. He slipped in a little hopping as a signature. ;) As stated in many posts before, wait for the tires to warm up and check your tire pressure. On the other hand, since these cars, particularly the Gen I and Gen II cars are all a bit different, some may be more Rabbit like than others. As a last resort, feed it some carrot and a bit of hay to calm it down.

eagles

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you getting wheel hop from a standing start or from a roll. If from a standing start what rpms are you dropping the clutch.
Does this occur from a roll if so what gear and how much throttle are you applying.
I have never experienced wheel hop [knock on wood] in my '03 but I have never tried a drag race start. In first from a roll the tires usually light up and I don't stay in the throttle but rather back off at that point.
On the 2 to 3 shift is that a lift throttle or power shift. Not trying to be nosey just curious.
I don't think wheel hop should be part of Viper ownership.
eagles

OP
OP
R

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Since the car is brand new I haven't experimented with it much (still in the break-in period). Everything that I have read so far on a search says do not power up during wheel hop or you can do a lot of damage. I have noticed it from a standing start with just a little throttle, and jumping on it a little into a 2nd gear shift. I'm in LA and it has been a little cold lately. I'm hoping from what I read so far that it minimizes when the weather warms up. This was never an issue for my 2004 Z06 and it had run flats on it so I'm coming to the conclusion it must be a suspension problem. I've also read it could be motor mounts, but the car is a 2006 with only 400 miles on it. Other than the hopping which is really bumming me out I absoultely LOVE this Viper.

repiv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont' get wheel hop, have motons & eibachs on the car. Interestingly enough, a friend fo mine just bought an 430, and he get wheel hop in 1st on his car......

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '03 and can tell you wheel hop occurs in the hot, in the cold, from a standing start , or from a roll. I've covered the bases and it *****. I thought it may be the run flats but others have said that isn't it. I think the DC engineers should solve the issue and fix our cars. I bought this cars to burn rubber!

OP
OP
R

RawPwr2

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree! The engineers should step up to the plate and fix this on a recall. When spending this kind of money we shouldn't have to deal with it. I'm embarassed to light up the tires because of the hop, and I don't want to end up replacing a rear end.

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was afraid to purchase a SRT-10 after I test drove one that had wheel hop.

My friend who is owner of the biggest tire distributor in Canada put me in direct contact with Pierre Savoy who is a track teacher and also trained Jacques Villeneuve (former winner of Indy and Formula one). He was very clear that wheel hop is normal for a car that have more than 500 ponds of torque especially when most of it is available at low RPM if the tires and pavement are cold. He told me that the had the same issue with a Carrera GT.

So I had confidence and purchased my SRT. I was glad of not having wheel hop of the summer (even on hard lunch). It was just in October when it become more cold that I started to experience it on my car.

Often people are saying other kind of car didn't have that issue but to make a comparison the question should be how much torque does have the other car?

I think 90% of the torque on the SRT is available at 1600 RPM (90% x 525)= 472 TRQ it'S way over the maximum torque of the majority for a sport engine car.

So like I said even my car has wheel hop on certain cold condition but I put for you a video in my Gallery name ``Hard Lunch stock``, it was in May and you will see the normal sliding with a bit of burning tires but no wheel hop.

If you want to compare the sound of the exhaust with only a small modification, watch the video ``Listen the Bullet exhaust`` in the same gallery.

Hop it will reassure you

SilverViperSRT

Sound and pictures :2tu:

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for those that feel wheel hop is a real problem for the SRT-10 :

a.) The problem is hop interrupts a much desired smokey burnout?

b.) The problem is hop makes you slower?

I would think that (a) must be addressed by altering the vehicle's tires, pressures, suspension, alignments to eliminate this behavior. Have not read any post illustrating a rock solid "recipe" for this yet, good luck!

I think those that are having problems with (b) are exceeding peak traction and need to learn to drive slower to drive faster. Especially in winter months where colder temperatures/salt drop the traction of these runflats by 20-40%, stock gearing/power gives this car enough acceleration to exceed peak traction by a significant amount in 1st and 2nd gears. Usually it starts with spinning, if you don't detect it quick enough and adjust, it will hop.

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question for those that feel wheel hop is a real problem for the SRT-10 :

a.) The problem is hop interrupts a much desired smokey burnout?

b.) The problem is hop makes you slower?

I would think that (a) must be addressed by altering the vehicle's tires, pressures, suspension, alignments to eliminate this behavior. Have not read any post illustrating a rock solid "recipe" for this yet, good luck!

I think those that are having problems with (b) are exceeding peak traction and need to learn to drive slower to drive faster. Especially in winter months where colder temperatures/salt drop the traction of these runflats by 20-40%, stock gearing/power gives this car enough acceleration to exceed peak traction by a significant amount in 1st and 2nd gears. Usually it starts with spinning, if you don't detect it quick enough and adjust, it will hop.
For me it is (a)- I want a big old smokey burnout. I've adj. minus the suspension change. I want smoke. It's embarrassing when you have to let off and your buddy's camaro keeps going. Call me childish, maybe I don't fit into the sophisticated viper race crowd. I fit into the HP crowd, and I want endless smoke for Christmas.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's embarrassing when you have to let off and your buddy's camaro keeps going.
.........or vette, or mustang or etc...

exactly....I always felt that excess power and torque should equal smoke and burnt rubber....not tire basketball!!

I ordered some Motons....hopefully they will fix the problem or at least help....I'll post my results after I install them.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The trick is to apply as much power as possible without spinning the tires, then there will be no wheel hop, better times and more RACES won. You have to get a real feel for the pedal!!!!! As mentioned before it's not the VIPERS fault.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
IT IS THE VIPERS' FAULT!!!!!!!!!!
Its not about getting the best hole-shot....for me
For example:
I like rolling maybe 20-25mph and then nailing it......spinning alittle and then it hooks up depending if you stay in the pedal....thats fun to me. I can do that in my vette and it has close to 500ftlb of torque @ the wheels,,,,,so that guy that posted about the cars with 500 ftlb ect ect, I don't buy that for a second.
If i try that in my viper it hops shakes etc etc. So it is the vipers fault!!!!!!

SilverViperSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ulllose it's ``that guy``.

I don't own the truth I post what expert explain me even with a Porsche Carrera GT (400 000$) and also my one experience. Everytning in my comments are link to the temperature of the tire and the pavement.

Like you I like to roll and nailing it or from a 0 to maximum. Also love drifting and smoke show.

Have you seen in my gallery the video ``Hard Lunch`` this was in May and I swear it's impossible for me to do the 1/3 of this when it's cold.

Like I said in the previous post, I was afraid to purchase a SRT-10 after I test drove one that had wheel hop (it was in november 2003). So before purchasing my SRT I was in touch with someone that have a very good knowledge of the viper Final GTS.

Here a copy of is answer: -Wheel hop could most certainly be due to bad motor and transmission mounts, though I seriously doubt it. the mounts are very strong, and unless they were defective, I dont see it happening with only 850 KM. You probably would have heard other tell-tale signs like knocking or banging as well if it was the mounts. It is cold in buffalo right now, and if I hop in it in first, I will get wheel hop almost every time. In the summer, virtually never. Just have them do a visual check of the motor mounts, transmission mounts, suspension bushings, and check the shocks for leakage. If all is OK, you are good to go. Just wait until next summer and try it again when it is warmer.

So ulllose I don't know the temperature in Ohio or if you are experiencing something different than me an other pepoles that the hot temperature fix the probleme. My English is not perfect but hope you understand my intervention.

SilverViperSRT

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everybody knows that spinning the tires isn't good for "times" If i was worried about "times" i would of bought a race prepped car. I like to have fun and kick the rear end out and litem up. Now i can spin through a turn, just not straight forward from a stop or roll.

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any vehicle with IRS may at some point in time exhibit wheel hop in some form or another when wheel spin occurs. IRS = low unsprung weight coupled with a stiff sidewall tire can and inevitably will = wheel hop. MY Z06 did it, My 03 cobra did it. No need to flip out and not buy a certain vehicle because someone doesn’t understand the physics behind the suspension design. Guess what the answer to the wheel hop issues is ? "TRACTION"

Franko

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your right, i don't understand the physics because i don't have to understand it. I know that every high performance car i've owned was always able to spin the tires from a stop. It's really that simple.

Another guy with his traction answer. unreal. If i was worried about traction i would of bought a 996TT. Instead i bought a muscle car with alot of horse power. It should be able to spin the tires.

quick2tr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I understand the desire for smoke and lines. It is part of the image. Just an idea . . .

Maybe putting an extra 100-150lbs in the trunk to help compress the rear a bit?

tmcphail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could tinker with tire pressure a bit. But yeah Wheel hop isn't fun by any means or good for the car. A solid axle is the best way to go for that sort of thing.

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Extra weight in the rear of the car will definitely help wheel hop. I always keep my gas tank full (remember 8.6 lbs per gallon)and have noticed less tendency for wheel hop when I launch improperly. When I first got my SRT 10 I had some problems with wheel hop, now after 6 months and 4000 miles I have eliminated it. My biggest problem was when I would nail second. The answer to that was to take first out to 45 - 50 mph, higher than I used to so that the car speed was more able to absorb the power and high torque when it cut in. The faster the car was moving the hop would disappear. I don't lose races now and can still smoke the tires in first if I want to, it all seems to work for me!!!!! I know we all have differing ideas on what we want our Vipers to do, and my objective is to be the meanest, fastest car around, not the smokiest. But I do respect anyone elses desire to run their car in a manner that brings them the most enjoyment, I think it's a great car enjoy it.

I think everyone should bear in mind that the DC engineers did not design this car to sit there and burn rubber in fact the opposite is true. They wanted your car to get the least slippage as possible, so you could be the fastest car 0-60, 1/4 mile etc. When you are trying to smoke your tires that was not what they intended. The wheel hop can definitely be a problem and that is because the tires are trying not to spin, Thats why they were made so wide. If you want to smoke your tires you really need to consider smaller tires, I really think that may be your answer, but I'm not sure you will be able to control the car, this might prove to be a no win situation.

prosthogod

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't let this go. Did the DC engineers design the rear end to hop and the whole car to shake when you apply the HP and Torque they designed the car to have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21