Wheel Stud Failure

vdogg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have broken (2) wheel studs now, both on a front wheel. Last one was at the track and I know i did not cross thread it, which is what I assumed I did to the first one. Feloow racer who was an engineer said it was likely due to bottoming out the lug nut on the bolt. I am using all factory lugs/studs and am wondering if I just need to go to a true performance stud/nut combination. Anyone having similar stud failures or able to recommend a source/brand of stud? ARP was recommended by feloow track person. Thanks.

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What torque are tightening to?

If you decide to use aftermarket studs ARP products are of an excellent quality.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What torque are tightening to?

If you decide to use aftermarket studs ARP products are of an excellent quality.

Back when I was seriously tracking, I never broke a stud but at a Viperdays event at Thunderhill with stock studs, wheels and lugs I did stretch them out. I was torquing them down at 100-110 lbs which I guess was too much, Archer was there to replace them

OP
OP
V

vdogg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running stock SRT ACR wheels and torque to 100 ft/lbs.

boy wonder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I was racing. I was told that once you tightened to whatever you used you had to keep using that # if the rims were aluminum. The reason being that the alum would shape to the nut.
I was also told never over a hundred.

Robin
:)