Wheel weight residue??

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just had new tires installed on my 2008 Viper ACR and there is still some sticky black residue from the original wheel weights in places. Anyone know what is best to use to remove this sticky mess? Thanks, Mike :usa:

Sonoman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Gumout carb/fuel injector spray cleaner. Did take a bit of rubbing, but not bad. This was on clear-finished Sidewinder rims. Starting fluid may also work (slower) and is not as tough on painted surfaces. Tried Goo-Gone and it was not as effective...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WD-40 also works pretty well at removing sticker residue. I'd also recommend heating up the residue with a hair dryer or heat gun first, to loosen it up.

Tony

OP
OP
V

viperprowler1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Nine Ball and eucharistos...thanks for the add'l info. One of these ideas should work. I went to get the 3m product but they don't sell it in the small tins anymore. It is available in aerosol and quarts and larger.

GreenVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have a quart of the 3M product around, just seem to have used it alot over the years especially for removing glue from my bicycle rims that use glue on type tires (sew-ups) when I used to ride and race alot but of course that was when I was about 100 lbs lighter :rolleyes: great for tar too not good on sap though for some reason??
Forgot about WD40, Armor All removes sticky stuff sometimes too. Good Luck

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I 2nd that.

I third that.

Way better than WD 40 for adhesive removal. 3M adhesive remover is also really good at removing tire rubber marks from your fascia, side sills, etc. after a track outing.

Dan

Hotrodder00

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used rubbing alcohol and a microfiber cloth on my wife's truck when we had the same issue. I've also used it after removing some pinstripes on another car, so I think it's paint-safe.....don't know if you wax the wheels if they're painted, but probably wouldn't be a bad idea after the cleaning.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Goo Gone is not designed for removing adhesives and doesn't work very well for this application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc