When will '08 production begin?

Flyntgr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know, and can tell us, when production of the '08 Viper will begin? Any idea of the order of production of the 3 colors will be produced this fall? Thanks!

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would surely think that someone would know the answer. I would think a employee would monitor this board. I would hope by now that some vipers should be moving down the line.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are not moving down the line just yet. And Chrysler staff (and even suppliers) that work on the Viper program are not supposed to comment on public forums unless in a "pre-planned" function such as the SRT chats we are so privileged to enjoy here from time to time. It is part of their workplace policy and applies to pretty much every manufacturer. You just won't see employees commenting on the cars they make - at least not for very long. ;)

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day after we see pictures posted of Jon Brobst picking up the #1 production 08 at the factory, with Parts Rack stickers, then we will know for sure that they are ready to go out the door.

Know Jon will want to get his before the weather sets in, and he needs snow tires and chains, to get home.

Then we will know real world mileage, handling, build quality, and performance reviews from an experienced Viper Pilot.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The day after we see pictures posted of Jon Brobst picking up the #1 production 08 at the factory, with Parts Rack stickers, then we will know for sure that they are ready to go out the door.

Know Jon will want to get his before the weather sets in, and he needs snow tires and chains, to get home.

Then we will know real world mileage, handling, build quality, and performance reviews from an experienced Viper Pilot.

The first production car is the current VCA raffle car. Unless Jon wins it in the raffle, he will not be picking it up.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Here are the 99% accurate facts as per some 'supplier info':

--Engines are now fully certified, and began production of customer motors last week.

--Saleen now has all body parts at the ready

--Employees return to CAAP on OCTOBER ONE to begin buildout of customer cars, after ~56 WEEKS of no customer Vipers being built there !

--In order to produce more than the 8/day the line is sequenced for, they may even have OVERTIME 1-2 hours per day, and 8-hours SATURDAYS. (Suppliers ready anyway)

-- I do have a 2008 ordred.....B-5 Blue w/ White stripes, thank you

JonB

VIPER 93

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So by the end of the year they would have built 624 cars, if they work Saturdays

Black coupe on order

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope: Long contracted breaks for Thanksgiving and Christmas-New Year.

...and assuming no strike. Boy am I glad I ordered my 2006 and have had the privilege of driving it since May, 2006. I'd be pulling my hair ( A scarce and valuable commodity) out by now if I had decided to wait for a 2008 black coupe which will probably not be available until sometime in 2008. It was difficult to deal with the two months in 2006 when I was Viperless. More than 18 months? No way.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that they are building on firm orders only not like the good old day when they built car without orders. The dealer I purchased mine from said that he will never order another one, as it took him over 1 year to sell it.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that they are building on firm orders only not like the good old day when they built car without orders.
You mean the good ol' days of 2004 & 2005 when the cars were overbuilt (not to order as in years past) and then collected dust only to finally be "liquidated" - and thereby killing much of the SRT-10 values as a result? Those good ol' days?

Good riddance to the "good ol' days"...

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You mean the good ol' days of 2004 & 2005 when the cars were overbuilt (not to order as in years past) and then collected dust only to finally be "liquidated" - and thereby killing much of the SRT-10 values as a result? Those good ol' days?

Good riddance to the "good ol' days"...

Amen!! I'm not so sure the possible overtime production which JonB mentioned could happen is a good thing. Better to stick with 8 a day than give them away next year.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Amen!! I'm not so sure the possible overtime production which JonB mentioned could happen is a good thing. Better to stick with 8 a day than give them away next year.
Ah, but in this case it IS a good thing: There have been a LOT of 2008 orders. Couple that with a late start on the model year build and they have a limited amount of time to fulfill those orders - no overbuilding necessary! :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think that they are building on firm orders only not like the good old day when they built car without orders. The dealer I purchased mine from said that he will never order another one, as it took him over 1 year to sell it.

Too bad your dealer has so little commitment to the program....please find a new dealer?!
In the GOOD OLD DAYS, EVERY Viper was pre-sold, at least to a dealer, and 90% to named customers. Only recently in the SRT10 program did Dodge have any leftover cars and capacity. [we caused it by waiting for the 'next big thing']

Over 50% of the entire 2008 model year's production is pre-ordered, so sold-orders are being built first. Some colors are totally sold out for the model year.

ps the UAW Strike vs GM is settled........

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they ever going to build 08 ??

What is the hold up on 08 is it suppliers or people retiring or what ????

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Are they ever going to build 08 ??

It is already under production but not for very long ....

The next issue will be Union related. It seems that Chrysler is targeted by UAW.
Chyrsler cost is $78/per hour for its workers which is the highest in the industry.
I don't think Cerberus will make much concession.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The next issue will be Union related. It seems that Chrysler is targeted by UAW.
Chyrsler cost is $78/per hour for its workers which is the highest in the industry.

Do you mean actual customer cars have been built??

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hit'em while their down eh:mad: That's the Union way.

These Unions are BS. I'll give these company's 10 more years and there want be a union in any of them. Only our government because the vote their bosses in.:rolleyes:

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There have been no customer cars built but they will be very shortly. This is due to the very typical delays for starting up a new production line. New engine, electronics, transmission, rear end, interior options, and body/paint manufacturer all add variables to the start date. No quality issues, emissions, etc. are a factor. It's simply typical for new production.

And the wait will be so very well worth it... :2tu:

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There have been no customer cars built but they will be very shortly. This is due to the very typical delays for starting up a new production line. New engine, electronics, transmission, rear end, interior options, and body/paint manufacturer all add variables to the start date. No quality issues, emissions, etc. are a factor. It's simply typical for new production.

And the wait will be so very well worth it... :2tu:

It is almost mid-Oct for cripes sake----"typical delays for starting a new production line "???? They have had 2 freaking years.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine