Where can I get the tool for rear ABS brake caliper piston retraction???

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I too have an abs car ('02 GTS) and I have the little triangle indents on the rear brake caliper piston. I am trying to change to new pads. How can I get the pistons to retract? I know I have to turn them clock wise to retract them. On pre ABS cars you can use needle nose pliers but on Abs, the piston is different; it does not have the 2 little holes in them, to fit needle nose into. I tried using needle noses and it worked for driver's side but it is not working on passenger side. It is just too hard to turn; I'm busting up my hands and knuckles trying to get it to turn. :(
Where can I buy the correct tool?
Is there any other links someone can point me to, that discusses ABS 01-02 rear brakes?

Please help. :dunno:
Thanks.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It looks like a little cube with various sets of pins on each side. Available at most any automotive parts store for $5 or so.

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hi perdue,
that link discusses pre-abs brakes and I have read it and do not find it helpful. And I did use needle nose pliers but found them sub optimal. they do not work well and I cannot get the passenger one to turn with needle noses. thanks.

OP
OP
S

SF Final 286

Viper Owner
Reaction score
rogue, I have seen those cubes before. It will not work because it does not fit into the triangular recessed areas on the piston. I need something to fit right into the triangular fitting.

Has anyone purchased a tool specifically made for this brake piston?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
YES...get it from JonB at Parts Rack !!!

The various "cubes" that I have tried do not work on Gen I's or non-ABS Gen II's

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can I get the pistons to retract? I know I have to turn them clock wise to retract them. Where can I buy the correct tool?
If there is one near you, check out Autozone's tool loaners. I can't recall the specifics, but I'm sure that I got one of Autozone's caliper piston retraction tools. I really don't recall the triangular indent though, but it was more than a year ago. However, mine is ABS, and I recall using the tool because it was really hard to tun in one of the pistons.

viperdude118

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was too impatient to try and order the tool and couldn't find anything that would work at a local parts store.....everyone here was just like...heh use needle nose, it will work if you try hard......NOT!!!

The ABS calipers are different and needle nose pliers just don't cut it.

Here is what I did; Vice grips around the outside of the piston, turn 1/8 turn, then press in with c-clamp. Keep both in place as this will take several cycles back and forth. squeeze with c-clamp then loosen just slightly, then turn 1/8 of a turn, then squeeze...you get the idea. Once I did this I had both sides depressed in 15 minutes.

In retrospect, I'd probably been wiser to put electrical shrink wrap around the ends of the vice grips to keep from leaving marks on the piston, but I didn't think of that til after. Hope this helps!

0260in3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an '02 and I purchased a caliper kit from Harbor Freight. The kit comes in a red plastic case and it has a few different sized discs, one of which fits perfectly in the '02. It does take some getting used to when using but once you get the hang of it, it's actually pretty easy. I bought it for $19 on sale.

ROGUE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
rogue, I have seen those cubes before. It will not work because it does not fit into the triangular recessed areas on the piston. I need something to fit right into the triangular fitting.

Has anyone purchased a tool specifically made for this brake piston?

Who knows... the one I have had in my toolbox for as long as I can remember worked great on my 01'. :dunno:

Improvise, I tend to think with a small file you can make one work sufficiently. That or use it as a good excuse to get some stoptechs up front and move the stock fronts to the rear. :idea:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery