Where can I hardwire my radar detector?

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 12 volt source that turns off and on with the ignition key......close to the mirror or at the drivers left knee. I have a 2008 convertible. Any suggestions? Thanks. David

2snakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can wire it into the mirror,But you will have to turn it on and off manualy {inviscord}

OP
OP
C

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I know I'll forget if I have to turn it on and off myself. As I understand it, there is no fuse box at the drivers left knee. Is that correct? Just where is it? If it's not there, is there something else 'easy' I can tap into?

Gary Weeks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You can wire it into the mirror,But you will have to turn it on and off manualy {inviscord}

If you wire it to the mirror it will shut down 15 minutes after you turn everything off and will come back on when you open the door. The Body Control module shuts it off incase you happen to leave a light on. The outside two pins on the three pin plug of the mirror are the power. I don't remember which is positive but you can probably figure that out on your own!

OP
OP
C

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey, this is great. Thanks! Just what I needed. I did do a search but didn't turn any of this up. Probably chose the wrong keywords.

Running to the mirror appeals to me as a neater install. I will give that a try first.

But where do you get these fuse taps? They're great. Did you have to make them?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found the fuse taps at Pep Boys. I think AutoZone has them too as well as NAPA.

OP
OP
C

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Now I'm having a problem removing the trim panel under the steering wheel. There are only 2 screws. I have the service manual and it says there are several clips that must be removed using a special tool. I don't want to pull at it and break it. Has anyone removed this panel on a 2008? Thx.

OP
OP
C

commonsense

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey,
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I ordered the 8 inch invisicord. Yes, the 08 looks to have the same connector on the back of the mirror. I've copied your wiring instructions and will do it when I get the cord.
I have decided to stick with the suction cup mount though. The detector fits perfectly above the mirror and to the left. The Viper windshield is small enough anyway, I don't want to take up more real estate with the mirror mount. David