Where do you go from here.....

Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel the need to chime in.

I noticed a couple of you guys noted how you drooled over your motor trend issues while you saved up for a viper, and now you can truly enjoy the car. I'm still in that phase.

I'm 20, go to school, work three jobs, and have a "viper fund" on E-trade. I've been saving up for 6 years for the car, and probably have another 3 or 4 to go. I have an 88 GT mustang sitting in my garage that I had since I was 16, and a 00 accord that I use as my daily driver (don't ask, but it saves me money on my insurance to keep the 88 GT around). Having that Mustang at 16 taught me a lot. I learned mechanics (had to fix it and upgrade it myself), I learned the traffic laws better than traffic cops, and have the lawyer fees/tickets (paid for myself) to back it up. I really doubt someone who didn't work for something for many years will ever enjoy it as much as someone that did, nor will they be generally experienced in an important part of life (working for things, being independent).

Yellow02 might never enjoy the viper as much as I'm going to, nor will he ever gain the experience. But here is the catch, if his parents are rich enough...he will never end up paying for his lack of experience.

I have to save, and experience helps me save time and money, but if it doesn't matter because, if you have so much money...then why bother?

This kid might never need to learn that hard work is what pays if his inheritance is big enough. If I was in his position, I wouldn't mind skipping everything I'm going through, its not worth it.

In conclusion, if you are rich enough, die a happy idiot. Experience hurts, and if you can skip it and not end up poor before you die, do it and enjoy life. Although you probably won't be able to enjoy as much as me, you won't go through the **** that I went through. Sometimes being in the middle is better than having the up's and down's.

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yellow, congraaaaaaaats i hope you enjoooooooy your first viper and hope its not the last one
smile.gif

PS: Age is but a number !!!!!!!!

Dion Fisher

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally for me the shock factor was VERY high right from the very start "Where do you go from here" states it well.. I have to admit I envy the young man but would no doubt like him as long as he's not errogant..

As it is though i'm doing quite well earning every cent the hard way.. And yes I do give more to my children than I should..

I have a little boy now and yup you guessed it he's going to "live my dream" (professional auto racing)if he has the gift, hmmmm maybe that's what this is all about..

SRTim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with the people that think the 16 year old shouldn't get a Viper. I think that if the kid has respect for the horsepower then he should be just fine.

I raced motocross for 7 years, form age 9 to 16. I was the PA state champion 4 times. I understand that even though you may have 450 hp, you don't have to show off or use it all the time. I got a new 96 Vette when I turned 16. I had a great time with it. Never got into any trouble. I also got a 98 Vette when I was 18, and a 98 Viper GTS when I was 19. I am now 21. The Viper has BTR Nitrous and a ton of other modifications. I have had a few accidents throughout the years, but no major ones (and none in the Viper yet...). The only problem with having nice cars when you're that young is that people get jealous. There is no way around that. I say just enjoy it, respect it, and carry a bat with you to beat off the women!

Tim

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, don't worry so much about what the other guys got or how old he was when he got it or how hard he had to work for it. We're all tremendously well off and probably we're all spoiled, but go ahead and enjoy it. I know 99% of the people in this world probably work far, far harder for far, far less luxuries than I take for granted. Congratulate people on their successes, coach them to appreciate, motivate others to strive for their own goals, but don't keep score or insult others' gifts in life. Sheesh. We own supercars, however we got them we're not much in a position to moralize on the hardships or wisdom of luxury in life. Relax and be happy, go out for a fast and safe drive, and delight in your own successes.

silverviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just in case the previous post was too "Berkeley", I'll include this for balance:

WAR TEENAGE VIPER OWNERS!
WAR STARBUCKS WORKERS!!
WAR CURMUDGEONS!!!

OrecaGTS-R/T

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going on 18 now and would love to have a Dodge Viper!!!! As a mater of fact i think i would do almost anything to own one. Good luck to Yellow02. I hope he enjoys his new car when it arrives and that he treats it with care and attention, I sure know i would and for all you out there giving him a hard time, i wouldn't believe you if you said you wouldn't take a new Dodge Viper at the age of 16.

Rowan.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm sorry. After the last post from Yellow02 calling me a dick, because at 16 he has no other vocabulary at his disposal, I swore that I wouldn't respond to anything else, but alas.......

What has come of society when people can't get simple concepts through their thick skulls! I thought the guys in my shop had cement between their ears, but it's not just them. It's way more people out there.
OrecaGTS-R/T, WAKE UP! Again, as the others have said, OF COURSE a 16 year old would take hold of a Viper! At 16, I would have also! That isn't the point! The point is, he shouldn't have that option in the first place. My God, has this thread has become proof of how stupid, ignorant, and irresponsible, I, and many others were at 16,18, and even 20?
I don't want to sound like the old geyser at 40 telling the younger guys what's up, but look around you. Yeah, I know that life is short and we should live each day to the fullest. But much like the freedom we have in our country, we need to live life and handle our freedoms with RESPONSIBILITY, or else all Hell breaks loose. And at 16,18 and I'm sorry to say even some 20 year olds, they just can't appreciate being handed a Viper and what the value means. Sure, they think they can, but no way. Unless they have been through the countless struggles that only come with YEARS of experience, they can't handle it, and these gifts should be kept in perspective.
And I'll say one last thing. I'm tired of hearing the bull of how..."Oh, I've been saving up for my Viper since I was 14 and now I'm 17-18 and so I deserve it". If a Viper is the priority that a 14-16-17 year old is saving up for, then they need to rethink their priorities.

Enough, I got to go to work...
Andrew

Viperoctane

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Andrew,

Some 16,17,18 and 20 year olds are more mature than 40 year olds. Its not about the age, this 16 year old might appreciate the Viper as much as you and any other Viper owner out there. Yellow just stated that he was getting a Viper at the age of 16, if you cant congratulate him try not to say a thing. Andrew I am not flamming you, but he deserves as much as you and I do. This is a free countru like you said, so keep it free let him do what he sees right. Thanx no bad feelings
smile.gif