Where to install PORSCHE AIR DEFLECTORS?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those of you that use the porsche air deflectors to cool your front brakes, does anyone have photos showing where they put them?

Can I use them with the Cone Cooling kit (which is already installed) ??

Thanks for the help.

Jon

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures, but mine are tie-wrapped to the front lower control arms of my front suspension. I have seen Cone kits before and I don't think it would be incompatible, but the Cone kit would be so much more effective at cooling than the Porsche scoops, I am not sure why you would want/need both of them.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
where did you buy them from? I just installed the cone duct kit and would like to add the porshe deflectors as well

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
DC Performance has developed a new mounting system for deflectors. You can buy it directly from them. Think they have a notice on the classifieds. Scroll down.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a pair from SnakeOyl that has an aluminum braket attached to them. Bolt right up to the bottom of the control arm.

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought mine from my local Porsche dealer. I think they cost about $20. There is a tread on the Viper Forum that lists the part numbers (they contain the number "993"), so do a search and you will be able to find it.

Cop Magnet

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part Numbers:
Porsche Deflectors
993-341-084-00
993-341-083-00

Don't credit me. From the other thread referenced above. $12 per according to that post.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So it doesnt look like any of you Fockers are going to get off your ars and photo me anything, so let me ask, did you use the stock 2 holes or did you drill some holes in the plastic and use zip ties to hold them in place..
and which direction is up on these damn things... and which do you put on the left, and which do you put on the right (give me the part numbers, as mine have them on them, so I will easily be able to identify which ones go where)

ALSO.. since I have a 2002 with propotioning valve and ABS, would it be a good idea to get a second set, and do the rears ??

Jon

ChrisGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I looked at putting some on the rears and concluded that the scoops would be too close to the exhaust pipes, so I did not put them on the rear wheels.
On the question about holes, I am not totally sure (JD Farmer put mine on). I don't have a lift, so I can't take pictures, sorry.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had them and thought they were useless.

Do the pros use Porsche deflectors? I haven't seen any. The pros use something closer to Cones kit.

But it's your $20.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought a set from the classifieds. It had the billet bracket and it bolts up quickley and neatly. I paid $80 and they were new. They are installed on the bottom of the control arm.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dcperformance.com are about $120 but they come with a great bracket for install.

:eek:

Jon,

You can (still) look at my gallery on the OTHER Viper enthusiasts' website V I P E R A L L E Y.COM for installation pics.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
dcperformance.com are about $120 but they come with a great bracket for install.

:eek:

Jon,

You can (still) look at my gallery on the OTHER Viper enthusiasts' website V I P E R A L L E Y.COM for installation pics.

Thx Dean,

I found ONE picture, and that one has some ADDITIONAL bracket holding the thing together to the control arm, but at least I know WHERE it should go, and I will just use zip ties to put it in the same location as your fancy brackets :-D

Jon

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Do the pros use Porsche deflectors? I haven't seen any. The pros use something closer to Cones kit.

But it's your $20.
Chuck is right on, they fall off easy at high speeds. All junk and fuu fuu. Use the pro system with hoses that brings in air from the fog light holes.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

But it's your $20.
Chuck is right on, they fall off easy at high speeds. All junk and fuu fuu. Use the pro system with hoses that brings in air from the fog light holes.
Depends on the level of mods you want to do to your car. They most certainly do make a difference, whether you've seen someone you consider "pro" use them or not.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

But it's your $20.

They don't use the fog light holes. They bring air from the sides of the radiator.

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many guys I have run with in the past have the fog light hole cut out with ducting going towards the brake assy. Then they had a screen covering the hole to prevent debris from entering.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The fog light hole was discussed in great length years ago. General concensus was it generated no real air and that it was better to pull air from underneath or next to the radiator.

Can't say I've done any test personally, just relaying what was said back in the Gen II days. Oreca didn't use the fog holes.

jrkermode

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've run air deflectors using several different mounting methods, and yes, I run the deflectors in addition to using the Cone cooling kit. The methods I have tried are;

1. Brackets from Woodhouse. These are V-shaped pieces of aluminum flat stock which bolt to the factory holes in the Deflectors, then are secured to the Viper's control arm using hose clamps.
2. Brackets from IPS. Widely referred to as "Dilusi" brackets, these bolt to the factory holes in the Deflectors, then bolt to the Viper's control arm. This is what is shown in the Illustrated Upgrades (although the Deflector's are mounted upside-down in the photo)
3. Several schemes using just zip ties.

I was never very happy with the brackets because bolts through the factory Deflector holes force the Deflectors to ride in front of the Viper control arm, thus rubbing the rims at full lock. The brackets also tend to have the Deflectors riding low enough that they rub the ground.

I wouldn't worry too much about which mounting method you try first, even a small "off" results in the Deflectors being damaged, so you'll get several chances to try something new!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only down side is that if you mount them too low, in offroad shunts, they may be ripped off.

Don't make too much of these deflectors. They do the job of sending additional air to the front brakes, and that is useful. Really pumps the air during high speed straights, and gets brakes cooled down before the next hard corner.

As a side note, they help keep your wheels cleaner, by blowing brake dust away.

They are cheap and fairly effective. Serious racers will upgrade to even more effective ducting systems, but that is a much more expensive undertaking.

Just leaving fog light holes open also will supply some additional cooling, even without ducting.